PDA

View Full Version : Miata on Miata Crash Footage @ the Gap

Phatmiata
09-12-2012, 01:36 PM
This is what happens when a 53' Semi-Truck is on the Tail Of The Dragon, they are to long to stay in their own lane which causes huge problems. We were on our last run of the day when our friends in the red Miata saw the truck and reacted appropriately, however my friend in the silver Eunos did not have enough time to react resulting a fairly serious fender bender. The first bike that is behind the truck was also run off the road, he was following the truck to make sure he didn't just drive away.

http://youtu.be/qWU6iox49T8

Blueiii
09-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Huh? The red miata was hanging out into the other lane at the start of the footage, followed by quickly breaking to avoid a collision and the silver miata rear ended someone. I'm pretty sure the silver miata would ultimately be sited for following too closely based on this footage.

fprintf
09-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Why is one car a Miata and the other a Eunos?

moerdogg
09-12-2012, 02:38 PM

RHD imported from Europe?

Phatmiata
09-12-2012, 02:47 PM

In Japan the 1st gen Miata was sold under the "Eunos" brand, it was the luxury version of Mazda, kind of like Lexus is to Toyota, and Infinity is to Nissan.

The silver car was a RHD imported from overseas.

f86sabjf
09-12-2012, 05:24 PM
when are they going to outlaw these trucks on this road?

fastnfurious7
09-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Trucks aren't supposed to go that route but once they get on there they have no place to turn around so they drive over the mountain & it sucks ass.

etikoner
09-13-2012, 06:11 PM
Damn that road looks like fun.

Sucks about the crash though.

atank
09-13-2012, 06:55 PM
The Dragon is fun, but it can be very dangerous.......

gapmiatas
09-14-2012, 03:14 PM
NC has prohibited any truck with a trailer over 30' is prohibited from using US129 as a thoroughfare from US 19/74 to TN state line. This includes Cherokee, Graham and Swain counties. Trucks with trailers over 30' are only permitted if they have a delivery destination on the road.

Further, any truck with a trailer over 30' is prohibited entirely on US129 in Swain County. The county line is at Cheoah Dam.

The vehicles are still permitted in TN, but cannot cross the state border into NC without being eligible for a citation and fine.

For more information, please look at page 20 for the restrictions on US129.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/business/trucking/Trucking%20Documents/North%20Carolina%20Truck%20Restrictions.pdf

Blueiii
09-14-2012, 03:18 PM
How much will I get flamed if I comment that, despite that the truck shouldn't have been on the road, the miatas deserved what they got? If they were driving so fast that they couldn't maintain their own lane appropriately, they were driving too fast for the road. Maybe I'm just getting old?

etikoner
09-14-2012, 04:27 PM
You're getting old.

zoomzoomstop
09-14-2012, 05:15 PM
How much will I get flamed if I comment that, despite that the truck shouldn't have been on the road, the miatas deserved what they got?
If they were driving so fast that they couldn't maintain their own lane appropriately, they were driving too fast for the road. Maybe I'm just getting old?

I think your missing the point--Miatas were not at fault, the TOO BIG Truck doesn't fit the road
therfore it takes up BOTH lanes to take any of the curves...

if you notice in the picture below the MX5 even faded far to the Right trying to avoid the Un-Avoidable...

ctrench
09-14-2012, 05:31 PM
that really sucks, but this could be used on the gopro commercials showing how tough the cameras are "withstands accidents with semi-trucks!!"

afc2112
09-14-2012, 06:07 PM
This scenario would also happen if a rider loses control in a turn and the Miata had to brake hard. Truck or no, they were still following too closely.

You never know what's coming on blind corners. In fact, I'm pretty sure the first biker was warning them to slow down.

Yes, the truck shouldn't have been there. But at the same time, you have to keep in mind that this is not a closed course and there is always a risk of an accident with these type of mountain runs that are run at a brisk pace.

Blueiii
09-14-2012, 06:27 PM
^^^

I've realized over time that I'm kind of a puss when it comes to "aggressive street driving." I've wanted a miata for several years and FINALLY got one, then got laid off from my job, so I'm extra careful with it. In the 2 (ish) months I've owned it I've been to 3 autoX's and lost the back end several times in turns.

To each their own, but I'd rather get my kicks 60 seconds at a time every other weekend in a closed course.