PDA

View Full Version : Another miata fastback you say...?

Ohsixspeedsix
09-12-2012, 06:44 PM
(First off let me start by saying I am reposting this from over at cr. Just seeing if any people who aren't over there have anything else to say about it)

Yup it is. Prepare your sphincters. For the last year I've been considering opening up a small business shop for making custom pieces. Yes I KNOW! There are about a billion other companies out there doing the same damn thing. Especially with the miadurp. So that lead me to start my ridiculous widebody na build. Which has been a long and annoying process due to not having the ability to work on it for long periods of time thanks to another job. But now that project is nearing the end and taking shape. And on top of that, I've had a few local guys asking for different pieces. (Not just for miatas) So with that I am moving to the next step, gauging the interest.

Get to the frickin' point you say? Okay. Well when I originally designed my project it was meant to be a fastback hardtop. But for one reason or another I stuck with the standard convertible top. Well after discussing the matter with some guys at auto x, I got the itch again. Only this time with more thought. Since there are options out there already and I've seen a few other people make a run at it, I figure its got to be something different. So I thought, how about a legit lift gate hatch. And let's make it an elise style break away targa top. And while we're at it let's make it a double bubble style roof for a bit of extra head room. So flame away! I am just tossing thoughts out of my head. Input is appreciated. Oh and here is an initial sketch of the shape for reference. Ill do more detailed versions later on.
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i427/ohsixspeedsix/2012-09-11_16-29-10_936.jpg

wannafbody
09-12-2012, 07:46 PM
Focus on the NC as there isn't an offering for it. I really doubt many of the NA and NB fastbacks have been sold.

Ohsixspeedsix
09-12-2012, 08:28 PM
I have seriously considered it. But there are a few problems/setbacks with doing it on the nc.

1. Getting my hands on a loaner would be difficult, where as with na/nb I already pretty much have them.
2. There really aren't that many people that own an nc. Let alone want to do that big of a mod to it.
3. Going along with number 2 - people with ncs probably aren't to keen on a semi permanent mod like this. Being that it will replace the soft top and trunk and will likely be riveted or molded on.

atank
09-12-2012, 08:31 PM
I like the idea of a working hatch, maybe fit some golf clubs, and guns in there......

RetroModern
09-13-2012, 11:55 PM
if youre able to keep those proportions, thats going to be one good looking fast back.

Driftdevil
09-14-2012, 09:09 AM
Build it for the NA and people will buy it. Lol
But seriously, if you keep it looking like the drawings I'd be interested.

mhogan0
09-14-2012, 01:01 PM
What the guy above me said, the Na is getting really popular and hella cheap I know for me I've wanted one for a long time but find it really hard to shell out the $2200.00 price tag Mabye if u could make one with similar quality and Mabye price it in the $1200-$1500 u would sell a lot of them I would say get a proto done people like pics myself included, ur drawing looks good but as u already know getting it to look like that drawing is the really hard part

Ohsixspeedsix
09-14-2012, 02:35 PM
So here is the general list of features. Whether it be for NA, NB,or NC.
-Replaces trunk and utilizes hatch trunk
-Option for removable targa top
-Available in Reinforced Fiberglass or Carbon Fiber
-Starting at $1000 with glass
-Split bubble roof for added head room

Here is the shapes for the entire family.
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i427/ohsixspeedsix/2012-09-12_23-55-23_286.jpg?t=1347651288

vindi49
09-14-2012, 04:35 PM
They all look really good, but its a bit ironic that the NC looks the best? I hope this happens as I don't think any of the offerings on the market have quite cracked it yet.

Russell.

fastnfurious7
09-15-2012, 12:11 AM
I'm a goofy old man but what about a little circle window on the side instead of the pie wedge? I love old T birds n shit.

dieselstation
09-15-2012, 07:34 PM
really liking the NB and hope you can keep it at the $1000 mark

wongmic75
10-17-2012, 08:55 AM
looking good!