PDA

View Full Version : Street racing - opinions? (video including NA inside)

SM16RMSM
09-21-2012, 01:28 PM
I was watching some videos on street racing, watching the dumb idiots who do this stupid stuff. I say keep it at the track IMHO. But what caught my eye was the black NA in the video. This car is the third modified car to show up in the video and the first real footage to show in the video. I wonder who that belongs too.

It funny to watch some of the guys talk.

What is your opinion on this kind of stuff? I say keep in on the track. Also, one of the officers said that the pendents are the tow hooks, or hanging on the back of the car means they want to race? I have one but I don't want to race, what is up with that? Is that where that started from.

http://youtu.be/n4slFq1iNaY

sdemo45
09-21-2012, 02:16 PM
You have something on your car but you don't know what it means? Might as well get one of those cool "Asian script" tattoos that mean "soul" or "passion."

Those "pendants" are drift charms; essentially there to prove how cool/low your car is.

ctrench
09-21-2012, 02:32 PM
that black miata was NICE!!!

SM16RMSM
09-21-2012, 06:57 PM
You have something on your car but you don't know what it means? Might as well get one of those cool "Asian script" tattoos that mean "soul" or "passion."

Those "pendants" are drift charms; essentially there to prove how cool/low your car is.

Actually, it a remove before flight. I hung it since I have one on the parachute of my 69 Camaro. I was coping my 69 Camaro. I new to the whole import (if you call it that) scene. I still learning what half this crap means. But I learned something new and I hanging mine back in the truck where I had it before.

Agent☣Orange
09-21-2012, 07:31 PM
Re: title change from And the first car is???????????? A NA? WTF to Street racing - opinions?

SM, sorry buddy but your title makes no sense so I'm renaming it to make sense. I hope you don't mind as it will give your thread more exposure.

SM16RMSM
09-21-2012, 08:25 PM
I kinda got carried away when I started it. Sorry for that. But as I was watching, I typed more and more and the title didn't seem right anymore. I hate to talk about street racing and I didn't think it was right to use it in the title. I was trying to add a little to the forum. Something to talk about.

Agent☣Orange
09-21-2012, 08:59 PM
I hear you. Don't worry, street racing is a valid topic worth discussing and there's certainly no prohibition against talking about it. Your original title gave no indication about what the thread is about, that's all. Don't be afraid to talk about something. For instance, just because someone might start a thread on drunk driving doesn't mean he's a proponent of it. It's just a discussion.

psulja
09-21-2012, 10:07 PM
Not gonna lie, I laughed about some of the things that were said in that video. But my opinion of it all; the way they had it set up was pretty straightforward and a "safe" way of organizing it; but when you get alcohol mixed in with drivers that don't even have their license, or people trying to steal parts, then it just gets retarded. Do I go to organized street races like that? No, way too much risk from other idiots out there, but sure if I want to have a couple pulls with a buddy off a light I'll do that, but who doesn't?

Phatmiata
09-21-2012, 10:15 PM
Just an FYI street racing is a felony here in Florida. That alone should make it no longer worth the risk.

Phatmiata
09-21-2012, 10:28 PM
FF to 19:00 " i hars no weapons, im innocent victim......... im innocent.... i got no weapons.......errrrrrrrrr" :fp:

psulja
09-21-2012, 10:50 PM
Just an FYI street racing is a felony here in Florida. That alone should make it no longer worth the risk.

I think they have started making the laws a lot more strict all over the place for street racing.

In Ontario you lose your license for at least 7 days, I think the fines can go up to $10,000 and you lose your car. And good luck getting any kind of insurance after that...

Agent☣Orange
09-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Didn't that wrestler's son get killed or kill someone in a Tampa street race? I'm foggy on the details.

psulja
09-21-2012, 11:18 PM
Nick Hogan? He crashed his Supra while his friend wasn't wearing a seatbelt racing someone in one of the family's vipers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Hogan

Jeremiah
09-23-2012, 09:04 PM
Street racing is cool no doubt just like sideshows/ghost riding but its dangerous to others on public roads.

Im all for going dumb and racing but I say on a closed course or private property.

Its fine if you wanna take some risk and have fun, just not at the expense of innocent motorists/pedestrians.

SM16RMSM
09-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Alcohol plays a big role. I don't like the idea of it getting that big. My father owned a speed shop in Orlando and my family has been in the automotive business a long time now. I seen a ton of people end up in jail, in court, seen the face of the mothers and fathers who had for their son killed by our local customer. I seen it and I don't support it. Yes, I do play around. But it goes to that level and it time to move it to a local track.

Phat, the whole felony thing started when one of my dad's customers ended up losing control of his Nova down state road 50 and killing a 15 year old. That kids mom when to the state for four years straight and finally they decided that it was time to make it serious and the whole felony for racing really went into effect. They would just write a ticket for reckless driving but now you go to jail.

tsingson
09-24-2012, 12:59 PM
To me, I find street racing to be completely irresponsible and dangerous. But also wanted to add that yes, when I was younger, I had been involved in street racing. I do realize that hindsight is 20/20 but if someone had really explained to me what I try to tell kids nowadays about street racing, I wouldn't have done it. And that's being honest. You can't keep alcohol away from these things. You can't stop the drug use by some of the individuals. Speed, alcohol, and drugs. That is a bad combination. But hey. That is just my opinion. It's just sad to see the news about innocent lives being taken.

iRoadster
09-24-2012, 04:48 PM
I don't think I'd go so far as to call these street drags "organized."

SM16RMSM
09-24-2012, 08:10 PM
But you have to agree, how many do they actually get arrested? it pretty organized when they have other on the lookout for trouble, lookout for cops, and those who scout for a good location to race at. That video was pretty large scale, even if half of it was made up. They had reports of racing, was on there way to the scene, and when they got there, only thing left was the smell of burnt rubber. Even when the cop was looking to see them in action, he was spotted and everyone ran.

Phatmiata
09-24-2012, 09:42 PM
The street races got pretty big in Tampa when I was "watching" back in my high school days , back then I drove a '71 Olds with a 445ci Rocket, and It was not uncommon to get 200+ imports + 200 domestics easy. Everyone used to race across the Gandy Bridge, (from Tampa to St. Pete), or down the back road just south & Port Tampa hwy-41.

When I got back from the military on leave/vacation one time I came back home to check out the local scene again, it was even bigger. Too big actually, they started bringing in the big fire trucks and would block everyone in on both ends of the roads and write tickets to EVERYONE, even the spectators. I never got a ticket, but after I saw that happen I never returned to check out the scene again.

Blueiii
09-25-2012, 07:24 AM
I've never really understood street racing. Heck, I barely understand drag racing anymore, since its all about who can throw more money at a particular vehicle. By the time you get done building an amazing drag car, its no longer really streetable.

This logic is part of what drew me to a Miata. Autocross is about who can drive their car better, and allows you to modify it in various ways to be faster / better than stock. It really is a "car-guy" friendly sport, since it doesn't require a TON of money to participate (grab a bone stock miata and play in RTR) and is played in a safe environment.