PDA

View Full Version : Lots of NB Questions

CDWillison
09-24-2012, 07:10 PM
Hey guys, thanks for reading!

I've been looking at NB Miatas for a while, and before I buy want to know if there are any years to go after (or avoid)

My biggest question is with the variable valve timing engine: I've heard that it was supposed to be 155 hp, but that some last minute detuning for emissions (thank you state of California emissions) made it 142 hp. Is there a way to "chip tune" it to get the extra hp? Usually chip tuning is not really worth it - more peak hp, but less usable, less torque, etc, but if you could figure out the "original" specs it should theoretically be a "no compromise" boost. Is the variable valve timing engine worth it otherwise? Any other advantages? Any reliability issues with either engine?

Any other equipment to look for (or avoid?)

Thanks in advance for you help?

SM16RMSM
09-24-2012, 08:01 PM
Either way, look for a 99 NB. The 99 motors have a bigger intake lift duration or something like that. 99 motors is the motor to have so find yourself a 99. There is no such thing as chipping or reprogramming a factory ECU in a Miata. They are locked. You can pick up a Megasquirt ECU and tune the motor from that point. The VVT motor are harder to tune. I say stay away from them. I read somewhere that they are just too hard to tune with and very tricky.

CDWillison
09-27-2012, 06:30 PM
Hey, thanks! So the VVT motor has no advantages and is difficult to tune.
Nothing else worthwhile on the later models? 6 speed? Better availability of ABS?

Impuls
09-28-2012, 09:28 AM
Yes Get a '99 they have best flowing head that people go after when building a motor plus you get VICS for even more intake flow.
There are shops that you can send your ECU too and they hack into it and tweak some stuff, but it's best to get a standalone.

turbotyla
09-30-2012, 11:01 PM
Vvt does have advantages especially u der boost. It is not hard to tune. They have it all figured out now.
But even if your not looking to boost.

The 01 + motors have 10-1 compression and run great I loved mine. And you get the 6speed and. Better headlights.

Nb2 all the way

tsingson
10-02-2012, 02:44 PM
I like the appearance package of the NB1. Not too flashy. Turbotyla is right. You get the 6 speed. The headlights to me isn't that big of a difference. But the ability to run 87 octane on the NB1 without any real concern is something to think about.

chiefmg
10-03-2012, 01:18 AM
'99 and '00 have the same engine. You can get a 6 speed tranny in those years if you buy a 10th anniversary edition ('99) or an SE ('00). Headlights can be changed or modified for HID. As was mentioned the '01 and up cars require premium fuel. Really it will all come down to find a car you like, there aren't really any significant differences between years (I expect there will be some dissension with that statement!).

artcentermiata
10-03-2012, 01:44 AM
begi can now reflash ecus... which could find those extra few hp

im using them to accommodate my need for a rotrex install

cayangco
10-11-2012, 01:11 PM
i've got a 2000SE with a 6 speed, personally imho. The car is gorgeous and definitely stands out among both NB1s and NB2s, not too mention the NB1 engines have a better engine/exhaust note than the vvt-i engines. just my .02 cents.

LoveJoy33
11-22-2012, 05:55 PM
99-00 is the place to be....... 87 octane, amazing flowing head, and with small mods these cars have been proven to be amazing N/A, S/C, or snail'd...... The appearance kit is very subtle and looks good in every colour. And most of all with small suspension mods these cars handle as good as they look.....