PDA

View Full Version : v-mount setup

SpeedWorks
10-04-2012, 12:48 PM
I know v-mount setups are usually for race oriented cars, but I really like the look of the v-mount and the efficiency, if done correctly, is unmatched.

My question is, do you think it would possible to do a v-mount setup in the miata, while still keeping the AC? If so, were would you mount the condenser?

I want to keep AC in my car, since im in south florida where the temps are hot, hotter and hottest, but i'd really like to try to do a v-mount. The fabrication part of it doesn't bother me, but I'd need to know where to stick the condenser for the setup.

any thoughts?

Opgedronken
10-04-2012, 02:03 PM
Without a decent hood to go with it I'd say it's pretty useless.

SpeedWorks
10-05-2012, 08:01 PM
Without a decent hood to go with it I'd say it's pretty useless.

the hood is the least of my worries. with my fiberglass skill, i'll be fabbing up something custom to properly vent the system, so it won't be useless in any way

SpeedWorks
10-05-2012, 08:01 PM
OK, so i've been doing some research on the topic and looks like running the v-mount with AC isn't that hard. Basically, I just have to run the AC condenser right above the radiator with some spacers so that they aren't completely touching. Only hard part might be getting some of the AC lines custom made to work properly.

my next question for the v-mount is in regards to the overflow tank. Since the radiator is changing in position and height, will the factory location of the overflow tank still work properly or will I have to move the tank to a lower position?

Also, will I have to make a custom filler neck for the radiator so that its up high?

any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated.

jnshk
10-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Overflow tank should not be a problem. As the pressure increases it will push the coolant into the reservoir. As it cools, it will suck it back into the radiator. Elevation of components shouldn't change drastically enough to cause any issues.

But you may need to do something about the filler neck. Ideally you want the filler neck to be the highest point in the system.

Assuming that you go with an all metal radiator, you can either
- weld/braze/solder on a new extended neck directly onto the radiator
- or weld/braze/solder a cover where the original cap went and use an inline filler neck in your upper radiator hose

Something like Dodge used (http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=BK_6002747_0361094973 or http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=NBH32948K1_0383531441) or something universal from a hotrod shop.

SpeedWorks
10-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Overflow tank should not be a problem. As the pressure increases it will push the coolant into the reservoir. As it cools, it will suck it back into the radiator. Elevation of components shouldn't change drastically enough to cause any issues.

But you may need to do something about the filler neck. Ideally you want the filler neck to be the highest point in the system.

Assuming that you go with an all metal radiator, you can either
- weld/braze/solder on a new extended neck directly onto the radiator
- or weld/braze/solder a cover where the original cap went and use an inline filler neck in your upper radiator hose

Something like Dodge used (http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=BK_6002747_0361094973 or http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=NBH32948K1_0383531441) or something universal from a hotrod shop.

Thanks for the info and the links to the Napa parts. Ironically enough, I work at Napa, so i'll look into those parts when I get back to work tomorrow.

So, after doing some research, I think i've hammered out my plan for the v-mount setup. I will be running an aluminum radiator, but it won't be a miata unit. I'll keep the details to a minimum until i actually get some parts and start working on the setup. I'll also be running a non-miata condenser for the AC system that will be mounted right about the radiator in the v-mount setup with some spacers between the two.

As for the filler neck on the radiator, I plan on cutting it off the radiator and extending it up to the top of the setup. Just as a precaution, I also plan on running a swirl pot/breather tank in the setup. Alot of this setup will need to be custom fabricated or modified. I think I already found a shop locally that can even do the custom AC lines i'm gonna need with the setup.

this should all work well, and i'll keep you all posted with the progress on this part of my build.

thanks

Hyper
03-25-2013, 03:04 PM
Forget the V-mount. Before you do the V-mount you have to figure out what is the highest point where you are going to fill the radiator with coolant. It has to be in a way the coolant system including coolant inside the cylinder head is completely filled with coolant except the overflow tank, so you have to figure out a way...

Also there was a dude in Miata.net he put a small radiator such as one from a Honda and a custom intercooler next to it with two high flow low profile fans. It was a clean set up and simple with short intercooler pipes without the need to modify the A/C lines or anything else. I can't seem to find the post to show but I saw that set up and it was awesome in my point of view... just picture the set up.