PDA

View Full Version : ABS or not??

Slampen
10-15-2012, 08:33 AM
I got an '95 NA which is fitted with ABS from the factory

But the rear axles are changed to someone without ABS. So now the ABS wires are cut in the trunk, but the rest of the ABS system is present, afaik.

To get the ABS back, I assume I have to fix the rear axle with sensors wires and "bracket"(the part which the sensor "read".). Guess the easiest would be to change with a pair of axles from a car with ABS and connect to the wires in the trunk.
Is it so "easy"?

What do I have to go the other way, remove the ABS and convert to non-abs brakes?

What would you have done in my situation, and why?

Slampen
10-16-2012, 01:53 PM
If my language makes the questions difficult to understand please say so.
If no,

:bump:

Phatmiata
10-16-2012, 01:55 PM
I would see if you can source the parts from a wrecked car

Slampen
10-16-2012, 02:08 PM
I would see if you can source the parts from a wrecked car

If I could, which path would you prefer and why?

Phatmiata
10-16-2012, 02:59 PM
I just feel the ABS is a better system, and if the car already came with it, then why not just keep it?

Slampen
10-22-2012, 08:33 AM
I just feel the ABS is a better system, and if the car already came with it, then why not just keep it?

If it was a lot less work to remove the ABS than to fix it. :whistling:

Rogue
11-05-2012, 09:43 AM
The sensors plug in the harness under the package tray.
Source the parts and it should work great.
At this point it will be easier to fix, than to replace with non ABS under the hood.
I was never a fan of ABS, but the first time it saves your ass you will be.
4 of the 5 Miatas I have are ABS cars.

revlimiter
11-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Having ABS is always better than not having it. Even top level autocrossers agree. As good as someone might be at threshold braking (I am personally VERY good at it), ABS will always be better.

Definitely fix up the axles to have the ABS again.

BoBo
05-14-2013, 01:26 AM
I never had abs on my miata before, but I bet it would brake harder . My other cars with abs feels a lot better.

DK Wolf
05-14-2013, 04:07 AM
ABS or bust dude. I can't tell you how many times I've locked my wheels up to avoid an accident and only just barely let off just in time to avoid crashing. Too many near misses, not to mention insurance is cheaper with ABS. If you drive on the street, get ABS hands down.

However, if it's a dedicated track rat, non-ABS without blinking an eye. Your performance when it comes to threshold braking will outperform ABS. I noticed a significant improvement when I removed the ABS system on my FD at the HPDEs and autocrosses. However I had to put it back in after a few near misses in Oki rainstorms.

Depends what you're doing with it, but the average ape could out perform ABS on the track. Anyone who tells you ABS is an excellent performance choice is kidding you. The POC Porsche drivers throw out their ABS for track use and they have some of the most critically acclaimed ABS systems in the world.

I don't buy it for one second that a pro autocrosser will tell you to keep ABS to stay competitive...

RuckkehrMiata
05-14-2013, 04:25 AM
My miata came without ABS, so I have never really experienced it WITH.

Flyin 92
05-14-2013, 08:11 AM
I prefer a non-abs miata, but since I do have an ABS car I've learned to deal with it. When you bleed your brakes make sure the ABS module cycles a couple times to make sure any air trapped in there finds its way out. I'm going to do that when I get back stateside and see if I can firm up the pedal.

As a side note, I had the prototype garagestar brake mc brace and it seemed to make a difference.

RuckkehrMiata
05-14-2013, 09:50 AM
I prefer a non-abs miata, but since I do have an ABS car I've learned to deal with it. When you bleed your brakes make sure the ABS module cycles a couple times to make sure any air trapped in there finds its way out. I'm going to do that when I get back stateside and see if I can firm up the pedal.

As a side note, I had the prototype garagestar brake mc brace and it seemed to make a difference.

The last car I had with ABS made it impossible to brake, it engaged too soon and reduced braking power so much I nearly had collisions BECAUSE of the ABS. Perhaps I am biased then...

Flyin 92
05-14-2013, 11:28 AM
To be honest, I can't remember the last I had to stop fast enough to engage the ABS. Maybe when I was seating my brake pads, but that was a while aog.

Dandy
05-14-2013, 01:17 PM
I had the opportunity to test my car's ABS on the way to Miatapalooza in April. I was in a caravan of Miatas when the car in front of me jammed on his brakes and his back-end began sliding. The car behind me was sliding as well. My car stayed perfectly straight and controlled. Everyone was ok, but it was close. I am definitely a fan of ABS on my car after that incident.

Pyr0monk3y
06-10-2013, 01:48 PM
It should be pretty easy to source the axles. I have abs axles in my 91 even though it doesn't have abs. They were all that was available. You might be able to find just the sensor rings. They press on. I'd give you mine but it's a lot of work to take them off at this point.

Rogue
06-10-2013, 02:19 PM
ABS cog ring will not transfer to a non ABS knuckle.
The 1.6 ABS outer knuckle will transfer to a 1.8 halfshaft.
I blew the VLSD in my 93LE and had a Torsen for it.
I couldn't find 1.8 ABS halfshafts so I figured it out the old school way.
That was like 7 years ago.

Pyr0monk3y
06-10-2013, 02:42 PM
ABS cog ring will not transfer to a non ABS knuckle.
The 1.6 ABS outer knuckle will transfer to a 1.8 halfshaft.
I blew the VLSD in my 93LE and had a Torsen for it.
I couldn't find 1.8 ABS halfshafts so I figured it out the old school way.
That was like 7 years ago.

I had the opposite experience. My open diff died so I swapped in a torsen. Oddly enough, the only 1.8 axles I could find were ABS. It worked so I'm happy.