PDA

View Full Version : I love my Miata but.... Part II

The Driver
10-25-2012, 12:25 PM
HAHAHAHA After all of yesterdays drama, now this became available today:

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/61-1192a.html

Now this is something that I could justify, and still get my V8 flavored hot rod! WIN!!! :cheers:

treeafodo
10-25-2012, 12:58 PM
Did this seriously just come to the market today? Haha

Vegard
10-25-2012, 01:00 PM
Do it!

The Driver
10-25-2012, 01:03 PM
Did this seriously just come to the market today? Haha
If I'm lying, I'm dying!

Do it!

I may not even wait til the end of next summer! We'll see, but yeah I'd say it's a go! Boss Phat would be so proud!!!

I<3flippyheadlights
10-25-2012, 05:00 PM
Neat concept and 9.6 pounds of boost on a band aid set up is pretty good! You can eventually switch to megasquirt and have Mark's car (rotrex NB) pushing 200+ horses!

The Driver
10-25-2012, 05:06 PM
Neat concept and 9.6 pounds of boost on a band aid set up is pretty good! You can eventually switch to megasquirt and have Mark's car (rotrex NB) pushing 200+ horses!

Already found me an AEM guru in Denver... :wink:

He told me that his car passes the CO sniffer w/o any problems. CO has the same HC standards as California, but w/o the visual test.

psulja
10-25-2012, 05:37 PM
Got the email from Goodwin as well. When I saw that I really started re-thinking if I wanted to go turbo or supercharger... Either way, you should do it..

The Driver
10-25-2012, 05:40 PM
Got the email from Goodwin as well. When I saw that I really started re-thinking if I wanted to go turbo or supercharger... Either way, you should do it..

Puffers are not the greatest at that altitude, but for the money the power increase is hard to beat!

Phatmiata
10-25-2012, 06:37 PM
Tpp awesome! When are you gonna take the plunge? Looks like you get a special price too if you can get in on the first run!

The Driver
10-25-2012, 09:28 PM
Tpp awesome! When are you gonna take the plunge? Looks like you get a special price too if you can get in on the first run!

Answer in post #4, Boss...

RotorNutFD3S
10-26-2012, 01:02 PM
Just so you go into this a little more informed, from what I've read when I researched a Rotrex before almost every Miata vendor stopped selling them the first time around, this is a seemingly common opinion about the unit:

The Rotrex itself is a great little blower, but you have to understand its almost all top end. This is not going to be impressive on the street, but its super fun on the track where you stay in the upper end of the RPM range. Its pretty much the diametric opposite of a PD blower. Running one unintercooled and restricted (as the previous kits were) makes sense from a liability standpoint, but does nothing to really impress anyone who is used to running a T25/T28 on the street or who wants to compare dyno charts. Underspin it and cut its head off with a restrictor and you loose everything the Rotrex does "well".

Horses for courses. I'd run my C30-74 on the track but I'd rather have a T25/T28 on the street

And a good explanation:

...there are some superchargers which use centrifugal compressors. Within the Miata community, the Rotrex is probably the best known example in the present day. These devices are not without their charms, however they do suffer from one annoying weakness- with a centrifugal compressor, the mass of airflow through the pump is not linearly related to the speed of the pump as it is with a positive-displacement unit. At low speeds, centrifugal pumps hardly work at all, and the result is that boost with such a system rises with RPM. Low RPM = low boost, thus negating the usual (if highly exaggerated) selling feature of superchargers in general. Of course, this can to some extent be rectified by altering the pulley / gearing ratio of the unit to increase its speed, but you have another set of limitations at the top end- you can't exceed the compressor's own redline speed, and you have to figure out some way to cause it to stop making more boost beyond a certain point, usually by placing static restrictive orifices (like the restrictor plates used in NASCAR) at its intake.

Does this mean that centrifugally-supercharged engines can't make big power? Again, that'd be a no. But as with the first example, expect it to cost more, be more complex, and produce a less desirable torque curve.

The Driver
10-26-2012, 01:24 PM
^ Oh darn! Thanks for the info VERY appreciated! You know, the AEM guru that I've been talking to, liked my idea of an AEM with an NB (99-00) head + 2001+ header. Maybe that's the way I'll go!

Also, from time to time I do check of part outs/cars for sale @ Miataturbo.net. That too is an alternative, ya know buy someone elses problem...

RotorNutFD3S
10-26-2012, 01:56 PM
A local forum member has a Euro 01+ header for sale, even beter than the USDM 01+ header apparently. With any NB header in an NA chassis you'd have to do some welding to make everything mate up properly anyway.

Speaking of buying someone else' problem, did you see this ad? Not really a problem lol, but a good price (don't miss post #8), complete with Megasquirt/injectors/exhaust AND for a '96! http://www.miataturbo.net/miata-parts-sale-trade-5/complete-turbo-setup-68915/

The Driver
10-26-2012, 02:11 PM
A local forum member has a Euro 01+ header for sale, even beter than the USDM 01+ header apparently. With any NB header in an NA chassis you'd have to do some welding to make everything mate up properly anyway.

Speaking of buying someone else' problem, did you see this ad? Not really a problem lol, but a good price (don't miss post #8), complete with Megasquirt/injectors/exhaust AND for a '96! http://www.miataturbo.net/miata-parts-sale-trade-5/complete-turbo-setup-68915/

Dude, welding and shit... May as well make me write a term paper in Chinese...

I'd rather stay and die in OKlahoma, than to buy ANYTHING from begi... Go to M.net turbo subforum and do a search on begi and read my posts.... Hours of free entertainment, I'm telling ya!

But yeah, saw the ad earlier this week!

RotorNutFD3S
10-26-2012, 02:41 PM
:lol: There are people that weld for a living, ya know?

Ah, ok. I've been through some fun times with BEGi too, so I understand. :)

The Driver
10-26-2012, 03:02 PM
:lol: There are people that weld for a living, ya know?

Ah, ok. I've been through some fun times with BEGi too, so I understand. :)

I know, they are called "welders"... Who knows a good welder in Denver, not this guy!

I thankfully did not have a first hand account of nightmares with begi, but I know several people who have... Then they all became happy Flying Miata customers, go figure! Hence I call them "begi", and not their spelling... ;)

WASABI
10-26-2012, 04:50 PM
I know, they are called "welders"... Who knows a good welder in Denver, not this guy!

You may be out of luck with welders, but I hear you're a pretty good pipe fitter! :toomuch: