PDA

View Full Version : Is an Auto to Manual Swap Worth The Effort?

treeafodo
11-10-2012, 11:41 AM
I've done some reading on the auto to manual swap and its fairly straight forward, but I was wondering what your opinions are on the whole auto to manual swap. I know the auto engine has approximately 10 less horsepower, and I know what it would take to swap it out, but is it worth all the money and effort?
The reason I ask is because I found a rust free, never winter driven,'90 Classic Red with 280,000 km (173k miles) with a hardtop locally. It's a good deal around here($3,500 obo), and the mileage doesn't bother me too much, it's the fact that it's an auto that kinda kills it for me. Whats your take on this?

Jester
11-10-2012, 07:25 PM
I know what your saying about the auto being a deal breaker...it would be for me too.

I would pass on the car. You'd be better off just waiting for a manual to come up for sale. It's not that you can't switch it over to a manual...because your right, you can... But what a pain in the ass to do, when you could just wait for the perfect Miata to come up for sale that already is a manual.

Or, just take a trip and buy a manual Miata somewhere else, where prices aren't so high. (that seems awfully expensive for a 90 with that many miles).

tsingson
11-10-2012, 07:28 PM
^ Agreed ^

When making a purchase like that, make sure you get what YOU want. If you have to compromise, compromise on small things but usually buy exactly what you want. There are always cars out there.

treeafodo
11-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Or, just take a trip and buy a manual Miata somewhere else, where prices aren't so high. (that seems awfully expensive for a 90 with that many miles).
I know exactly what you mean about everything and I do agree that I should buy what I want.
The reasons why I am semi-considering this one is 1) for a rust free one in this area it's cheap. Rust free ones typically go for $8,000-10,000 and 2) I was thinking the trip to say California to pick it up and the trip back would cost approximately as much as a swap.

afc2112
11-10-2012, 11:47 PM
Florida would be much closer...We have rust free cars and prices are cheap enough...

treeafodo
11-10-2012, 11:50 PM
Florida would be much closer...We have rust free cars and prices are cheap enough...

Yeah Cali was just an example. I'm looking pretty much anywhere down south at this point.

revlimiter
11-10-2012, 11:55 PM
I totally think the swap would be worth it. Of course, that is my idea of fun. Sharka's natural environment is on jack stands.

DK Wolf
12-29-2012, 02:29 PM
..... sounds like people who are intimidated by work.

Buy it if it's in good condition. You can pick up a trans anywhere for stupid cheap and odds are it isn't busted. I did my first auto to stick swap for one of the supras in our local club and it was cake and a half. Totally fun.

It's not hard. And anyway, in the end, if you decide to not do the swap. you could always sell the miata later. Eitherway, I'd jump on a chance to snag a good condition miata at a low price regardless of transmission. It's getting harder to find em like that.

maharaj
12-30-2012, 10:49 AM
If it is truly rust free and the price is low enough I'd say that you should get it. Swapping out the tranny will also give you an opportunity to inspect other parts in that area as well. If you were to buy a manual you could end up with one that is beat to hell or need a clutch in the near future. As long as you have the facilities and access to tools/help I'd say that you should go for it.

91BRGLE
12-30-2012, 11:23 AM
I'd say keep shopping, I got my 91 BRG with 204K for $3500 in burlington. It is a truly rust free car, never winter driven. Just wait the right car will come along, I was shopping for about 6 months before this one came up. I think $3500 for a high mileage auto is way to much.

Phatmiata
12-30-2012, 06:03 PM
I say pass, go for a Yellow (only 1,500 made) or BRG (only 3,000 made) or Silver (only 10,000 made), heck even Black there was only something like 30,000 or less produced!

MartyMcfly
01-07-2013, 05:48 AM
I passed on two auto Miatas with under 100k miles. They were both under $1500 and they were both in nicer shape than my car.

Heyitsryan
01-07-2013, 08:31 AM
Well, with the money you save buying an auto miata, you can use towards yourthe completion of your vaginoplasty surgery.

I vote to keep searching.

ResidentG33k
04-16-2013, 09:52 AM
If you can snag the car for $2800 I'd say it'd be worth it. Depends if you're confident with doing the swap and there's no time constraints swapping transmissions and other parts.

If the costs for the car + the swap + travel are above $4000+ then just look for another miata with a manual transmission. Less headaches bro. -Steve