PDA

View Full Version : Noob exhaust questions

JTninja
01-02-2012, 05:31 PM
I recently bought a '90 that already has a TopSpeed Pro exhaust on the car. It sounds good, but its way too loud. Easily over 100dbs loud. It has a resinator and muffler, but obviously not a quiet one. I need to get the car under 93dbs to I can run at Laguna Seca and not piss off the neighbors. Im thinking of changing the muffler to something quieter, maybe Magnaflow. Is it possible theres something I can bolt on to quiet the sound, then remove for certain tracks? Id rather not go back to stock parts but this needs to be done by March on somewhat limited funds...any thoughts?

JT

HellaRareYellow
01-02-2012, 05:34 PM
You could pick up a magna flow muffler take it to an exhaust shop and they will bend straight pipe for it. Did that on my old protege ended up being 150 bucks including muffler.

JTninja
01-02-2012, 05:39 PM
And that will be quiet enough?

HellaRareYellow
01-02-2012, 05:43 PM
Depends on a lot of variables. piping size, engine mods, the exact muffler you get. But if you get a decent muffler, not some ebay canon, then yes. If you do it right it should be quiet enough.

JTninja
01-02-2012, 05:45 PM
crap, I forgot the car has jackson racing headers...

kung fu jesus
01-02-2012, 05:54 PM
From experience, I can tell you a lot of race cars put a turn-down on the tip of their exhausts.

It's a piece that slips over the tip and routes the exhaust down or AWAY (towards the driver's side) from the sound registration booth on the track. IIRC, Laguna Seca has theirs on the the right side, between turns 3-5. That's going to be your cheapest solution.

http://www.chicagoconnection.us/images/tti/turndown.jpg

If you want to change the exhaust, check around youtube for video and sound clips. You won't gain that much power between different exhausts unless you are running built engine with an equal-length runner exhaust manifold and standalone ecu.

Typically, the quieter exhausts are Racing Beat, Bosal, and to some degree Borla.

Goodwin Racing has an exhaust with a removable baffle for the tip.

Exhaust systems with a resonator in the midpipe are good for eliminating drone.

JTninja
01-02-2012, 06:22 PM
Is that legal though for Laguna? Reminds me of this one (Im sure you know the owner, cant remember his name right now)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/92692dude/GhettoMuff.jpg

kung fu jesus
01-02-2012, 06:29 PM
yup. they care about sound levels and safety. the one in the pic above *might* be questionable, but turndowns are fine as long as they are secured.

JTninja
01-02-2012, 06:44 PM
Sweet, thanks Jesus! Looking online, but ill probably find them at a local exhaust shop.

This is why I like you better than the baby version ;)

Rogue
01-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Put a cherry bomb as a resonator.
Been working on mine for nearly 10 years.

HellaRareYellow
01-03-2012, 05:03 PM
^ what size piping did you use? How much pipe is after the resonator? What engin mods do you have?

friday
01-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Is this (http://compare.ebay.com/like/230703999706?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y)what you have? If that's the case then you could get a resonator welded into the mid pipe.

JTninja
01-03-2012, 08:36 PM
Is this (http://compare.ebay.com/like/230703999706?var=lv<yp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y)what you have? If that's the case then you could get a resonator welded into the mid pipe.

Yep, thats what Im pretty sure it is (looks identical, previous owner(s) installed it). With the headers its very loud.

looks like I'll have to do

d). All of the above

:D

Rogue
01-04-2012, 04:10 PM
I have a circa 2001 Enthusa, 2.25 IIRC. $20 CherryBomb welded in the position of the stock rez. (beside PPF aft of the Cat but before the diff)
Nice bark when I put my foot in it.

93LE, 1.8 swap, 4.10 Torsen, RB header, Enthusa/Borla catback w/FM HiFlocat, and Jimmy Flywheel.

Frenchmanremy
01-04-2012, 07:50 PM
uhh, don't use any of the chosen alternatives.
Cheapest one IMO is to use a silencer
http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp_0912_exhaust_silencer_power_loss/index.html

D L M
01-04-2012, 11:25 PM
I have a magnaflow on my car right now. Had a local shop weld it on for me. Stock cat and stock headers. The sound is a little bit louder than stock. Subtle but noticeable difference.

Roadster
01-05-2012, 05:06 PM
When the midpipe resonator on my Trust exhaust crapped out, I replaced it with a round 18"L x 2" diameter straight thru Magnaflow muffler. My cars real quiet and I like it that way but more importantly, there's absolutely no drone.

JTninja
02-04-2012, 06:18 PM
So I went to an exhaust shop to fit a silencer in the exhaust. I couldn't do it myself because the radius of the silencer is = to the radius of the exhaust. It needs to be a little smaller to fit in, so I hoped a shop could do it. They were unable to do so. The silencer came from Topspeed for the exhaust, so I dont know what to do. It's 4in, so I need a 3.8in silencer. Ideas?