PDA

View Full Version : Clutch wont disengage and I just replaced the slave cylinder

Dave737
11-19-2012, 10:15 PM
Hi
Newby to the Form.
I just picked up a 91 two weeks ago. Its my midlife toy and I'm loving it. Reminds me of my high school days in my Spitfire.
Any way I was teaching the wife to drive a manual and she was doing realy well untill I took her out into traffic. She panicked
a little and slipped the clutch bad. We pulled into a parking lot and shut it down. After that the clutch wouldn't disengage.
The trans is not stuck in reverse and moves free with the motor off.
I stuck it in 2nd gear and hit the starter. Got it home in that gear and replaced the slave cylinder. Getting full movement form
the slave piston but the clutch still wont disengage.

Before this happened the clutch seemed fine, no slipping.

Any ideas?

Thank you for the help.

P.S. Lot of great looking cars on the form.

kung fu jesus
11-20-2012, 07:29 AM
It isn't uncommon for the clutch master to need replacing, too. I would bleed the system again, first.

Phatmiata
11-20-2012, 07:34 AM
I replaced the slave and the master on mine at the same time, it was cheap insurance.

bedheadben
11-20-2012, 11:19 AM
I would bleed the system again, first.

Agreed. I was experiencing nearly identical symptoms. I went home, re-bled my clutch, and all was good!

iKhanh
11-20-2012, 11:34 AM
yeah this happened to me like two months ago. probably bleed the slave cylinder first and see how that goes. if that doesn't seem to help, might have to get both the slave and master cylinders replaced; that's what i did, and i'm back on the road =)

Dave737
11-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the advice. Going to r/r the master and bleed the system.
Here is a video showing how to reverse bleed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW770mbruM4

kung fu jesus
11-20-2012, 12:29 PM
yeah, put your wife in the car and bleed it normally.

Dave737
11-20-2012, 04:05 PM
A 91' with 73,000mi and I'm now the third owner.
Some rubbing compound, polishing and three hours later my wax on wax off mussels are spent.
Time to go paint the fence.

Thx for the advise. I’ll pick up a master cylinder and do a thorough job bleeding out all those little bubbles.
That will have to wait for now, it’s time for the Walking Dead.
I’ll let ya all know how it goes.(the bubbles not the zombies)

RickRacer
11-29-2012, 11:05 AM
I think I need to change out my clutch slave before it leaves me on the side of the road.

BTW sharp looking miata dave!!

iKhanh
11-29-2012, 11:34 AM
from what i read, just pull back the rubber boot a bit on it and if any fluid starts leaking out, you know you should consider replacing it, otherwise if there's no fluid leakage, you should be good.