PDA

View Full Version : Custom center console needs help!

Frenchmanremy
11-29-2012, 08:05 PM
Hey guys,

I'm trying to do something that hasn't been done, or has been partially done.

Plan for the spring is to strip the interior of any non-neccessary plastics and carpets.

I want to keep a center console to have the storage and power window buttons. However, the complications start when I think about how to bring the power window button wire to stock location without having anything in front.

IE, I want to delete all plastic surrounding the the shifter and handbrake, and just keep the locking storage armrest and window switches.

How do I bring them there, could I relocate to somewhere clever and with easy access?

please post photos of your custom ones, as this will give me ideas.

morr
11-29-2012, 10:09 PM
I've seen people relocate the window switches to sit directly under the HVAC controls and even where the foot-well lights are on the driver's side. I was planning to move mine to the foot-well whenever I make a shorty console around the shifter.

edit: Also check out these threads if you haven't already.

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread.php?407-Post-Your-Custom-Interior-Here!

http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/21-interior-sponsored-rev9-autosport/14380-post-up-your-custom-interior.html

SM16RMSM
11-29-2012, 10:14 PM
So you want to basically cut the center consol in half, so from the window switch back remains the same while the front part of the consol is gone? And you want the wires to be hidden????

I thinking about adding wire. What you could do is cut the wire at the base of the shifter (leave a inch of wire from the connector to the switch) and from there crimp and add length of wire. Drill a small hole in the tunnel under the radio. Run the wires into the tunnel and pass them through another hole under the half cut console. While using zip ties to keep the wire together, pass the wire and crimp the connector to the wire. And you can plug the connector right back into the switch. Use some wire loom to protect the wires in the tranny tunnel.

Frenchmanremy
11-30-2012, 01:01 AM
That was my original idea SM, but I think the heat would get to the wires real quick.
I had thought about foot Wells and the area under the radio, but gauges are there and footwell is inaccessible to the passenger...

SM16RMSM
11-30-2012, 07:29 AM
That was my original idea SM, but I think the heat would get to the wires real quick.
I had thought about foot Wells and the area under the radio, but gauges are there and footwell is inaccessible to the passenger...

Actually, the heat won't be a issue. There is some wires running along the PPF frame. And they are closer to the exhaust than running the wires along top of the tunnel. They are also in wire loom. And this was in a 99.