PDA

View Full Version : Water damage... Seat Removal... PLEASE HELP!

redmenace
12-03-2012, 05:27 PM
So another day, another bad story.

With all the rain over the last week the storm drains on my street overflowed and the water level on the side of the street rose high enough to enter the car through the bottom of the door. So i spent yesterday before work with a hair dryer and towels and soaked up alot of the water but there is still a good amount of moisture under the carpet so i wanna remove the passenger seat and pull the carpet. The water only got into the passenger side floor.

How much work am i looking?

Anything I should be concerned about?

What tools am I gonna need?

Please help!

Agent☣Orange
12-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Just a socket wrench with a 14mm socket and about 5 minutes to remove the seat. Then pull up the door sill cover and flip up the carpet to see what you're dealing with underneath. I'd do the same with the driver side too in case there's any water under there as well. I'd oil the seat bolts before putting them back in so they don't seize.

redmenace
12-03-2012, 05:35 PM
Sweet I was hoping it wasnt gonna be a major task. My street has such a ridiculous slope to that it probably didnt but ill definitely check. Ive got people bringing over flood lights cuz the only time i can do this is tonight after class.

Agent☣Orange
12-03-2012, 05:38 PM
I'd be more worried about the ECU which is down low on the passenger side back wall on an NA isn't it?

Martin
12-03-2012, 05:39 PM
93 has the ECU in the passenger footwell

Agent☣Orange
12-03-2012, 06:12 PM
Even scarier...

redmenace
12-03-2012, 06:29 PM
Yea that was my biggest worry! But I'm gonna tear it all up tonight and make sure it's dry.

Agent☣Orange
12-03-2012, 07:04 PM
Disconnect the battery first.

I<3flippyheadlights
12-03-2012, 09:04 PM
If you even think it saw water, place it in a bag of rice. I know this works for phones, might be a good measure for the ECU

SM16RMSM
12-03-2012, 10:23 PM
I ended up spilling a Super Big Gulp in the passenger floor of my MSM. I ended up sticking a water hose inside the floor and with soap and water, I washed the floor to get the coke out. Took the seat out, used a shop vac to suck the remaining water out, pulled the door still, pulled the bottom foot well plastic panels (be careful, I cracked mine in the process), and with more towels and a fan blower, I was able to dry the carpet out and prevented any damaged. It's really nice since I found out that the carpet in the NB will hold water. Even with a water hose, only a small amount of water got through to the underside of the floor. There is a slip or cut in the carpet behind the seat mounting points and that is where the water got through.

redmenace
12-04-2012, 04:25 PM

So when I got home from class I set everything up and went to work. You were right. The seat was a piece of cake to get out and I managed not to break a single carpet clip. So I spent about two hours with towels and hair dryer and go most of the water cleaned up. The ecu is safe and there's no real damage.

I'm going at again this morning before work because there's still a fair amount of water soaked into the carpet pad but all in all I think I'm gonna be good. :)

Agent☣Orange
12-04-2012, 07:21 PM
Well that's a huge relief about the ECU. I would pull all that carpet batting out and trash it. Nothing makes for a better water-retaining sponge than the stock batting. Get some foam or rubberized mat squares instead and cut them to shape and just lay them in there before laying the carpet back down. They don't weigh anything, never absorb water and even provide more noise isolation.

redmenace
12-05-2012, 08:51 PM
That's not a bad idea. Considering I'm still trying to dry that shit out. Lol

maharaj
12-05-2012, 09:36 PM
I second the trashing of the car batting....throw in some square rubber mats or dynomat and call it a day. If you really want to get crazy with it check out LizardSkin.

Demon I Am
12-06-2012, 09:44 AM
That carpet padding holds water like a damn sponge.

tsingson
12-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Yes it does. That is no fun at all.

redmenace
12-06-2012, 05:31 PM
It holds water better than any sponge I've ever seen. Lol