PDA

View Full Version : Miata accident question

Chrisgreer23
12-06-2012, 10:18 PM
So I was involved in an accident on Wednesday (the 5th of Dec). I was headed south on 21st St. in the far left lane when a Jag decided that turning into MacDonald from the MIDDLE lane was more important then the safety of herself, her passenger and her Xtype Jag. She decided to turn when I was about 4 car lengths behind her when I was going about 35-40 MPH. I slammed on the brakes, the wheels locked up and I skidded into her front left fender. I guess upgraded brakes only really work with upgraded tires! I would have probably stopped in time with better rubber. Anyways...

The Miata was drivable with the right fender severely dented and the paint on the bumper and fender rubbed off. It will go into the shop for an estimate tomorrow morning.

My question...

Is there anything I can do to keep them from totaling the car? I would like to keep the car but it would be worthless if totaled and I had to buy it back. I know they won't give me enough to make it worth it and I wouldn't have enough money to buy another car in it's condition. The paint was fair on the car but it was a 97 LE with the 1.8 and the better LSD. And besides the accident damage and a rear end collision sometime it's life, it was in good (mostly stock) condition.

In the event they total it, should I take stuff off the car I want to keep before they do the estimate tomorrow? I have an original Nardi steering wheel and an aftermarket head unit in it. Besides those two things (and a carbon fiber air intake) there is nothing special about it.

Sorry this is such a late post.

Chrisgreer23
12-06-2012, 10:47 PM
So I've done some looking around and it seems the damage to my car may not be enough to total it. Two good things about my accident, It wasn't my fault (so nothing out of pocket) and Allstate doesn't require the repair work to be done at one of their facilities (they just issue a check). This means I get my new Autokonexion NA/NC bumper installed and pained to match the car at no cost (depending on what the damages are).

Chrisgreer23
12-08-2012, 09:38 PM
SO does anyone actually visit this site or am I just talking to myself? Allstate gave me $1200 for the damages. Can anyone recommend Just Miatas in St. Pete for the repairs?

Demon I Am
12-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Glad it wasn't totaled
got any pics of the damage

SM16RMSM
12-08-2012, 10:12 PM
I going through a similar situation with a uninsured motorist. Along story short, I was also involved in another rear end collision in my 97 M-Edition a year ago. The damaged has to be up to a certain point to be totaled. It like 40% of the total value of the car. $1200 is kinda short but sounds like they want used parts and only paint for just the bumper and fender. Pictures would help. Also, the insurance adjusters will always estimate the total damaged as low as possible. My first estimate (damn adjuster took a quick look) was in at $2600 and I was pissed since they got the color code wrong and there was more damaged. I took the car to the shop and had the Adjuster go through the car again with my body shop and the new estimate is at $3800.

Put it this way. My 97 M-Edition was giving a estimate of $4000 and they totalled it. It is worth about $6900 and I bought the NA back for 200 bucks. I got a check for $6700 and used that for a down payment for my MSM.

My MSM was hit last week. My estimate came in at $3800 and it valued somewhere around $12k-14k.

maharaj
12-09-2012, 08:47 AM
SO does anyone actually visit this site or am I just talking to myself? Allstate gave me $1200 for the damages. Can anyone recommend Just Miatas in St. Pete for the repairs?

Got any pics? As far as Just Miatas, will they offer any type of warranty on the paint or bodywork?