PDA

View Full Version : My first mod

Dave737
12-18-2012, 06:43 PM
I really didn’t like that clear silicone on top of the air flow meter so I replaced it with black.

Ok I’m sure more than a few are on to me. Yes, I tried to remove the electrical plug by pulling it out by the base that is held back by two screws. I got lucky and didn’t bend any pins. I peeled the cover off and soldered the number 3,4 and 5 pins back in place and all is well.

Thanks to all you that have posted info on this subject out there on the forums.

new2mx5
12-18-2012, 06:58 PM
The madness has started! Good luck fighting the urge to continually throw money at the never ending obsession!

SM16RMSM
12-18-2012, 07:07 PM
I never thought of that before. Very interesting. I like.

Agent☣Orange
12-18-2012, 08:06 PM
More of a repair than a mod but at least you got your hands dirty. Just repaired one of those a couple weeks ago for a friend's NA. You're not alone.

Dave737
12-18-2012, 11:50 PM
Yea that was a little tongue in cheek. My first mod will be to paint the valve cover. However I do need to replace the leaky valve cover gasket… more maintenance proceeds a mod for me. :fp: Dang, when will I get to do a pure mod.

On the subject of air flow meters, I see some very cool intake setups out there and a lot of them seem to have done away with the meter all together. How is that accomplished?

atank
12-19-2012, 08:50 AM
Yes, I always like to use black instead of the clear, looks good!

Agent☣Orange
12-19-2012, 09:32 AM
Maintenance always precludes modding but painting the valve cover is a good first mod, perhaps replace the cruddy bolts with new ones.

Some NA owners eliminate the air flow meter because they've gone with an aftermarket ECU. Others have changed to an RX-7 version.

bedheadben
12-19-2012, 09:56 AM
Yea that was a little tongue in cheek. My first mod will be to paint the valve cover. However I do need to replace the leaky valve cover gasket… more maintenance proceeds a mod for me. :fp: Dang, when will I get to do a pure mod.

On the subject of air flow meters, I see some very cool intake setups out there and a lot of them seem to have done away with the meter all together. How is that accomplished?
You can look at maintenance as your first "upgrades" to the car. Many of these maintenance items will improve the way your car drives, especially since it's an old 1.6.

As to your second question\/

Some NA owners eliminate the air flow meter because they've gone with an aftermarket ECU. Others have changed to an RX-7 version.
This. Some also swap over to the 1.8 MAF sensor, but it's pretty much just as restrictive as your vane air flow sensor, but has better metering. An aftermarket ECU like a Megasquirt (which is a GREAT mod) would make swapping out sensors a lot easier.

Martin
12-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Some also swap over to the 1.8 MAF sensor, but it's pretty much just as restrictive as your vane air flow sensor, but has better metering. An aftermarket ECU like a Megasquirt (which is a GREAT mod) would make swapping out sensors a lot easier.
Hmm... I have a MAF from my old 96. How would I go about swapping it into my 91?

bedheadben
12-19-2012, 11:08 AM
Hmm... I have a MAF from my old 96. How would I go about swapping it into my 91?

Basically it's not worth it unless if you're upgrading to the larger RX7 MAF. Too much electronics shenanigans for little to no gain with the 1.8 MAF. http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=19460

Martin
12-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the link. Ew, that doesn't look like fun. I guess I don't spend enough time above 6k rpms to make it worth the swap anyway.