PDA

View Full Version : SA22 vs NA 1st Gen Miata Production Numbers

Phatmiata
12-20-2012, 01:23 PM
So I was at a local Miata meeting last night talking to a buddy that sold his NA Miata 6 years back and now has the itch to buy one again.

The problem is finding a clean low mileage example of a NA Miata that has not had 8 million owners, or been ragged out by the racing community. Here in Florida the cars are driven all year round, so low mileage is not an easy find.

He brought up an interesting point that back in the late 1990's the 1st Gen RX-7 was everywhere, and cheap, and since it was such a great car for racing it got used and abused, and basically finding a clean example now is near impossible.

Looking back I don't think I have seen more than a handful of the 1st gen RX-7's on the road, and have only seen ONE clean example that ironically I saw last night on my way home.

We both tend to think finding a clean NA will be just as hard in a few years for the same reason as the RX7. they are cheap sports cars, and perfect for racing. Or ricing. :fp:

So after seeing that classic RX7 last night I figured I would run some numbers. 1st Gen RX7 vs 1st Gen Miata.

I pulled out my collection of old Miata Club of America Magazines that listed the production numbers of the 1st generation Miatas.

1st Gen Miatas Worldwide Production 1989 ~ 1997 WORLDWIDE = 421,119 , USA = 215,364
http://i.imgur.com/tKZdsLr.jpg

Then I did some research on RX7 production.... look at the numbers!

1st Gen RX-7 Worldwide Production 1978 ~ 1985 WORLDWIDE = 471,119 :shock:

http://i.imgur.com/35l8uZ5.jpg

Notice that is worldwide production vs USA production.

Pretty interesting, that the conception is that Miatas are everywhere when actually the clean examples are going to become scarce soon in my opinion.

What do you guys think? When was the last time you have seen a 1st gen RX7 on the road, or even a clean example of one? What do you think will happen with the NA Miata? Will it meet the same fate as the cheap disposable RX7 sports car did?

I have also seen NA values rise a bit over the past few years, for clean low mileage examples that is.

Willywongka
12-20-2012, 02:13 PM
You bring up quite a scary realization that its bound to happen, but luckily in my neighborhood I only see old people, or women driving 1st gen Miatas. Its going to to happen sooner or later Randy, especially now that its cool to own a Miata now.

All I know is that I'm gonna do my best to preserve the one I got. Might have to snag another one later in the future before they are gone.

Heyitsryan
12-20-2012, 03:49 PM
I think it is inevitable, I mean just a few years ago the miata was tagged with the moniker of being a "gay" car. Nowadays, especially with the hellaflush crowd being able to afford NA miatas, they're bound to all get beaten to shit. It's a car with a low entry price point, high availabilty of parts, cheap maintainence, and low insurance.I don't think they will ever hold their value such as an s2000, but they may reach an point of stagnation and not drop from there. I've seen Na's anywhere from $400-$7500 ( and even $40000 in Australia) so I have no doubt that these cars will eventually fade away. However, in terms of sheer numbers, there are plenty more examples to go around!

The best thing about the miatas is that there is always another one available. Maybe not an NA, but then an NB, then NC, ND and so on. The best thing about this car is that the original spirit found in the first 1989 model lives fiercly in the 2013 model as well. Of course it's subjective, but I've never driven a miata that I've disliked, they're all wonderful cars with "soul."