PDA

View Full Version : NA intakes?

RickRacer
12-23-2012, 04:42 PM
Im looking for a cold air intake for this car.
Does anybody know where I can find this?

jux
12-24-2012, 11:15 AM
Don't think I've ever seen an off-the-shelf intake that places the filter outside of the engine bay.
I suppose a Randall cowl intake or similar would be your closest approximation to a cai.
Flyin' Miata were futzing around with an intake design last spring or so that would've been what you want. Not sure if it ever got the final go ahead, though.
Pretty much any other mass produced intake you find will be a wai. Many simply replace the intake box with a cone filter...and leave it right by the exhaust manifold. Lovely, right?

Good luck in your search!

Stealth97
12-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Most all either draw in hot air or dont replace the restrictive bits, or even remove parts that MAKE power... IOW, the commercially available ones all pretty much suck as they come out of the box. To get a good intake, youre going to have to get creative. I've got a monsterflow tube, a 45 degree elbow to get the filter right behind the headlight, a K&N filter, custom aluminum intake box, and a 4"hose drawing air into the filter from the left opening in my GV lip. Best I could do after screwing with different setups over 10 or 12 years, this one actually gets ambient or just below even at low speeds... only drawback is permanent modification to the sheet metal, but in a beat up old car no one cares.

Phatmiata
12-28-2012, 10:51 PM
Stealth do you have any pics you can share? Sounds like the way to go, I always hated the cone filter locations.

kung fu jesus
12-29-2012, 10:01 AM
OP: NA6 or NA8?

The flapper on the NA6 creates packaging/orientation issues. On the NA8, a matching size tube to the MAF and TB towards the RF will give to the coolest air. Routing across the front and near teh exhaust side just means you are heating the intake between heat sources (radiator, engine, exhaust manifold. Don't be afraid to add some wire length to the MAF pigtail to relocate it.

CMP
12-29-2012, 12:58 PM
You could try to find one of these: http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread.php?2586-racing-beat-cold-air-intake

DK Wolf
12-29-2012, 02:17 PM
I was gonna say... jackson racing intake does the job.

But getting a louvered light-lid with appropriate ducting would do the job just fine. Some guys even box up (heatshield) the area immediately around the intake cone and headlight assembly to make sure the air is colder.

But I can't stress this enough. If you're on stock power. Give up, it's not worth it. Gains are negligible.

JonB
03-07-2013, 05:39 AM
DDM Works makes a cold air box that looks to be ok. They even make one for cars with a JR Supercharger. That's the one I have. It seems to work quite nicely, although I have no idea on actual dyno results.