PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle surveilance?

Jeremiah
12-29-2012, 01:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWEhelJrmeo
Camaro owner records mechanics abusing car Best Chevrolet-Kia in Easley, S.C

So I was thinking about this, when I take my car to the mechanic, tire/alignment shop, etc. I wonder if my car is or might be getting abused ie. unnecessary revving, WOT, burn outs, etc. Most of the time I never leave the car so I am able to watch my car getting serviced but there are times when I have to leave the car for a day or two ie. major service. For minor stuff like oil changes and new tires and what not no biggie because as mentioned I am present. Since we drive sports cars and some if not most of us have modified cars...some of these mechanics/techs/whatever are tempted to test things out. For example, I was at America's Tire/Discount Tire a while back getting new tires installed the mofo who drove my car from the parking lot into the install bay/garage revved my car unnecessarily (the car has a muffler delete/straight pipe axleback) while I was standing there watching. I tell him to not rev the car and he responds "It wont hurt anything." I couldnt believe this piece of crap had the audacity to tell me that, let alone rev my car while I was right there. I informed the manager of the incident and he was very apologetic but damn that really pissed me off...I felt violated as hell.

I am thinking of installing a recorder and or camera in the vehicle for surveillance purposes when I leave my car to get serviced, anybody have something like this? And if so where can I purchase. What do you guys think about this? Am I being overly paranoid? I just dont trust people sometimes with my car. Now if I drove a Camry/Accord then I wouldnt be so worried but sports cars ie. MX-5/S2000/370Z/EVO/STI/etc. or even modified cars...I worry since a modified exhaust is like "hmmm I wonder how this car sounds?" or lowered then "Hmmm I wonder if this thing handles good?" or a short shifter "Hmmm Im gonna WOT this thing to feel the shifts" etc. (This is what I feel is going on in their heads...now not all mechanics are gonna be this bad but there seems to be a good amount of these assholes) And I never ever will have my car valet parked....:O

Agent☣Orange
12-29-2012, 02:40 AM
I don't think you're paranoid. It's called intuition and yes, the worst things you imagine are happening probably are.

I've been toying with the idea full-time of the recording front, rear, sides and interior by creating a schere of coverage.

maharaj
12-29-2012, 08:21 AM
I have the same problem. I do the majority of the work myself but I had to get an alignment done so I had to go to a tire shop. Well, before my car is even on the rack the 'tech' is talking to me about the car and all of the cars that he's had and blah blah blah. Now, I've taken other cars to this place before for an alignment and they have always adjusted everything, taken it off the rack and gave me the keys. This time they decided align it, take it for a test drive where I can hear the car at WOT about a mile away and then return it. Needless to say, I was pissed. All that I could think of was:

http://youtu.be/_S7AyiVfNdA

maharaj
12-29-2012, 08:22 AM
^^^^ By the way.....aren't those gauges available from revlimiter?

Johnnie
12-29-2012, 08:41 AM
This time they decided align it, take it for a test drive where I can hear the car at WOT about a mile away and then return it. Needless to say, I was pissed.
At least there's no place to really launch it airborne around here.

kung fu jesus
12-29-2012, 08:42 AM
I had to take my '92 in for service a few years back, I set the rev limited on the ECU at 4000 and set the pressure back to around 4 or 5 on the turbo.

maharaj
12-30-2012, 10:44 AM
Or better yet I guess a camera mounted in an obvious location pointed at the driver would be a good way to prevent these joy rides as well.

Agent☣Orange
12-30-2012, 10:54 AM
I think interior and exterior cameras will be commonplace in the near future. Rear view cameras are already standard. Side-view cameras are gaining popularity and parents can now view their idiot teens driving the family car at 90mph in school zones while texting. There's already GPS tracking and real time speed reporting.