PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to implement a probax cushion backing into non-probax seats?

Willywongka
01-02-2013, 02:43 PM
So I recently purchased a pair of standard elise seats and I have been reading that the probax version is SO much more comfortable than the regular version. So I was wondering if there was a company that can actually produce these probax backings so I can upgrade my seats. Thanks!

-Will

kung fu jesus
01-02-2013, 03:30 PM
Have it reupholstered. The covers are easy, so you just need to find someone who will work with you to shape/layer the foam to your liking. Foam comes in different densities and thicknesses, so you can build layers and they act sort of like a progressive rate spring.

Otherwise, buy the probax set you want, sell the ones you have.

Phatmiata
01-02-2013, 03:38 PM
Where is the "other" seat. :P

Willywongka
01-02-2013, 06:48 PM
Have it reupholstered. The covers are easy, so you just need to find someone who will work with you to shape/layer the foam to your liking. Foam comes in different densities and thicknesses, so you can build layers and they act sort of like a progressive rate spring.

Otherwise, buy the probax set you want, sell the ones you have.

Ahhh Guess I should look for a local upholstering shop for this job. Any suggestions on a good place to buy the foam material? Thanks for the help =).

Where is the "other" seat. :P

It is probably floating in the ocean with a bunch of your parts =). I hope it is more comfortable than the Elise seats! I should be able to get the Elise seat in tomorrow. Patience is the name of the game! =)

Cxmoney
01-02-2013, 07:19 PM
i am reupholstering my lotus seats, and i am going to go with backsaver foam. supposedly the same stuff as the probax foam, but better. it is costly though.

Willywongka
01-04-2013, 03:57 AM
i am reupholstering my lotus seats, and i am going to go with backsaver foam. supposedly the same stuff as the probax foam, but better. it is costly though.

I just checked out that back saver stuff and it looks like it could be pretty comfy. So are you gonna have it cut up into little pieces to be placed into the elise padding? Also, are all elise seats shaped the same except the padding is different?

I think I'm going to have to at least reupholster one of the seats because I don't think my girl is gonna be happy with the firmness of the regular elise seat.

Cxmoney
01-04-2013, 11:24 AM
At first i was going to get rid of all the coushin and use just backsaver foam for the entire thing. But in the end because the backsaver foam is so expensive, i think im just going to do the middle pad that you sit on and lean back on in it and the outer part of the seat in normal coushin.

Cxmoney
01-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Either way, whichever i decide it is going to be a direct replacement. No old original foam will be left on the parts i use the backsaver stuff.

Willywongka
01-09-2013, 02:01 PM
Nice man, I visited a few upholsterers yesterday and one of them said that "memory foam" doesn't last very long. He said after a certain amount of time (6-7 years?) the foam will not go back to its original shape. Have you heard anything like this through your research? Instead he recommended a different material, don't remember the name, but I think it was HA / HR 1 foam. Is it not possible to just buy the Probax foam?

I've also considered your idea of buying that back saver product and having it chopped up and put into the seat backing, I need to do some more research before continuing with it.

Cxmoney
01-09-2013, 03:52 PM
no i have not looked into memory foam. from what ive heard, memory foam isnt anywhere as comfortable as backsaver foam after awhile. which is why im just using backsaver foam for the pad you really sit on. i might use memory foam for the outside parts. but after about 7 years of daily use, im sure they would need to be reupholstered agian anyways.