PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Air Horns for Miata

Andy
01-03-2013, 08:11 PM
Hey what is the deal with crazy red? My air horn broke so I was trying to order a new one and it seems that their website is messed up/ not working anymore. Are they still in business?

Also is raven wing performance still in business? I was trying to order from them a few months ago.

Thanks

Phatmiata
01-03-2013, 08:16 PM
I sent an Email to Ravenwing last year to buy 20 issues of the MCA back issues. No response, so Im guessing they are gone.

Crazy Red, wow you are going way back! If you cannot reach anyone there is always PEP Boys, Autozone, O'Riely's etc.

Andy
01-03-2013, 08:27 PM
mca issues you say. What issues do you have? Were you ever able to get the back issues?

drv2fst
01-03-2013, 08:52 PM
I got a box of back issues from Raven a couple years ago. A few interesting articles but not much depth.

garageSTAR
01-07-2013, 11:45 PM
Crazy Red is still around. His brother just took over his shop. He is now located in Sacramento. I believe he still stocks those air horns. Shoot me a email and I can try and contact him for you.

maharaj
01-08-2013, 07:31 AM
Hmmm...more details on these horns or a link to the page please.

Agent☣Orange
01-08-2013, 08:18 PM
I've never been impressed with air horns. Always seem to be breaking down when they're needed most. Who knows, maybe the CRI ones are better but they look like all the other Chinese air horns at Autozone better suited to playing La Cucaracha.

wannafbody
01-08-2013, 10:03 PM
I couldn't find a website for Ravenwing, so I'm guessing that they went under.

Agent☣Orange
01-08-2013, 10:11 PM
Ravenwing is lonnng gone but google crazyred

Andy
03-10-2013, 08:08 PM
It looks like nautilus still has the air horn. I might go with that since crazy red does not look to be around anymore.

theothersawyer
03-11-2013, 03:47 PM
I have a nautilus on my car and love it! It gets the job done! I had a 3 series try and turn into on the highway, I honked and they got so scared they jerked the wheel back and their fuel lid popped open!

Martin
03-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Anyone heard both the Nautilus and the Wolo Bad Boy? Both sound good in the audio clips I've heard - just curious which sound "better" in person. I know "better" is subjective, but I'd like to hear opinions anyway.

theothersawyer
03-11-2013, 03:56 PM
I have not heard the Wolo Bad boy but I love the nautilus!

vote4pedro
03-11-2013, 05:26 PM
I had the crazy red air horns and they crapped out after a year. One of the plastic horns was cracked and non-functional. A total waste of $$. On the other hand, The Nautilus is great. I have been very happy with it, but got busted for it once at inspection.

As far as the sound, I actually get responses from idiots in SUV's on cells, which why I put it in in the 1st place.

I do not have any info on the Wolo Bad boy

Grumpy
03-11-2013, 06:51 PM
I had a Nautilus for about 3 years. It stopped workingso I replaced it with Hella Supertones. They seem to be as loud if not louder than the Nautilus. A bit of research on the censor-crazy forum shows a lot of failures of the Nautilus, yet folks still love them.

Andy
03-11-2013, 10:21 PM
Alright nautilus it is for me then.

Agent☣Orange
03-12-2013, 08:56 AM
I had a Nautilus for about 3 years. It stopped workingso I replaced it with Hella Supertones. They seem to be as loud if not louder than the Nautilus. A bit of research on the censor-crazy forum shows a lot of failures of the Nautilus, yet folks still love them.

Same here. Can't stand air horns failing when they're needed most. Went with electric Highway Blasters, one high, one low and I think they're louder, faster and more reliable at any age or weather condition.

P.S. What censor-crazy forum?

Grumpy
03-12-2013, 09:53 AM
M.net I attempted to send a link to this forum in a PM to someone, and their forum software changed my text from "mazdaroadster.net" to their forum name? it did the same thing when I wanted to put my build thread located here, in my sig over there. They're huge and yet they're so afraid of tiny competition, that they want no links to other forums to work. The admin said he didn't realize it did it in pms, he thought it was only in regular posts.

Martin
03-12-2013, 09:57 AM
Seems Fischy to me ;)

Agent☣Orange
03-12-2013, 10:45 AM
Haha, 'nuff said. Pathetic.

Phatmiata
03-13-2013, 06:59 AM
...... I attempted to send a link to this forum in a PM to someone, and their forum software changed my text from "mazdaroadster.net" to their forum name? ...................

Its called a "Swear Word Filter" generally used for swear words as the name states, so that when someone types in the word "ass" or "shit" the forum software on that site will auto-correct it to something else like "butt" or "poo" once the post is submitted. They did this a few months after our forum went public. They did the same thing to ClubRoadster when it was first started, but after folks started complaining that they could not link photos or build threads they must have removed it? There is a lot of censorship over there so that kind of stuff does not surprise me.

As for the Crazy Red Air Horns, i had a set back in the mid-90s, they worked for a couple years here in Florida, but pretty sure the hot weather killed them. I then got some from the local PEP Boys, and those lasted about 1 year. Back to stock ever since. I might give the electric ones a shot though.

Andy
03-13-2013, 08:11 AM
So if you we're to try again with something that was not oem would it be the nautilus?

Agent☣Orange
03-13-2013, 08:27 AM
If I were to go with pneumatic horns again, I'd get some real ones:

http://www.alpexusa.com/truckhorns.php

http://youtu.be/pjycPit1DPo

The Driver
03-13-2013, 08:28 AM
OP, I'm gonna take the liberty to change the name of the thread a little bit, I hope you don't mind!

Andy
03-13-2013, 07:50 PM
No problem.

Side question why is it now exterior. If anything it would be electronic right?

Andy
03-13-2013, 07:52 PM
That civic video makes me think that more and more are douches. I hope that some honey badger is thrust upon them and gnaws at them.

The Driver
03-13-2013, 09:07 PM
No problem.

Side question why is it now exterior. If anything it would be electronic right?

That I would not know... It sure as heck wasn't me!

FIXED!

theothersawyer
03-13-2013, 11:57 PM
Assuming you are going to Miatapalooza you could wait to order anything until you hear a nautilus in person. I will be there and I have one! ( I'm assuming out of 240 miatas others should have one too! Lol )

Agent☣Orange
03-14-2013, 08:53 AM
Hmm, It would be cool to hear 250 Miatas blowing their horns at the same time for 30 seconds. Probably would make some new Guiness world record or something.

theothersawyer
03-14-2013, 09:33 AM
If they all had stock horns, then you probably wouldn't hear them 100 ft away! I couldn't hear my stock horn if I had the radio on!

kung fu jesus
03-14-2013, 01:32 PM
Dual Bosch Super Rally horns. Dual note, non-pneumatic. Easy to install and wire. Never an issue being heard in traffic when needed.

LOL
03-14-2013, 01:59 PM
Forget those lame air horns that only last a few months; go for German quality! Hella super tones :

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q170/imnatelol/0601332c.jpg

Agent☣Orange
03-14-2013, 02:25 PM
Indian quality but great horns anyway.

The Driver
03-14-2013, 02:35 PM
Forget those lame air horns that only last a few months; go for German quality! Hella super tones :]

$45 over @ Summitt Racing, not bad!

LOL
03-14-2013, 02:50 PM
These are actually the German ones. They're very old.

LOL
03-14-2013, 03:10 PM
These are actually the German ones. They're very old.

HELLIONMX5
06-26-2013, 09:29 AM
Def getting train horns, not to be a douche. I'm tired of ppl trying to kill me!

ScratchNSniff
06-26-2013, 10:21 AM
Did someone say airhorns...lol...my old setup consisted of a Luggage Rack, Full Train Horn Setup on the Rack...spare trunk with hole drilled for lines, two compressors, a 5-Gallon Air Tank, both were mounted in the trunk...running off 140 PSI...

Video: 3min 15sec

http://youtu.be/YLKIT9EvduM?t=3m15s

Andy
06-08-2014, 11:38 AM
Wow this is funny. I was doing research again to find a replacement horn for my car and found my own thread that I forgot about. So far my research concludes the nautilus horn but I am not that fond of it yet.

Andy
06-08-2014, 11:43 AM
Although these hella super tones that were previously mentioned look pretty good too.

http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-003399801-Supertone-High-Bracket/dp/B0002MA03S/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1402245645&sr=1-3&keywords=horn

drv2fst
06-08-2014, 12:31 PM
Sample some sounds here...and holy crap some are expensive
http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/horns/horns.php

Andy
06-08-2014, 12:40 PM
Honestly I am contemplating the oem horn off of an nc miata. It seems to be the easiest no headache nice sounding horn. Now to find a lightly used one.

Phatmiata
06-08-2014, 01:14 PM
I used Hella on my last Miata. Worked great. might have to go back to that after the prior failures....

Andy
06-08-2014, 01:18 PM
Hella supertones? I am giving them another look but having to wire in an additional relay kind of turns me off on them. I sort of want something easy to install.

Phatmiata
06-08-2014, 01:49 PM
Hella supertones? I am giving them another look but having to wire in an additional relay kind of turns me off on them. I sort of want something easy to install.

Not sure it was more than 10 years ago. I got them at the auto parts store but the cost like $60 back then.

Andy
06-08-2014, 09:44 PM
Well sorry to be anticlimactic but what I ended up doing was removing the Crazy Red Italian air horn and giving everything a very thorough cleaning. I think I am able to salvage the horn.

It doesn't work great when the car is off but my voltmeter indicates that while off and pressing the horn the voltage is around 11 or so. With the car on and pressing the horn the voltage is 14 ish. With the car on the horn works better than I have ever heard it in my life.

I should preface this by saying that we bought the car 9 years ago with the horn installed and it never worked great. It was ok. Now it works great when the car is on.

The only reason I went through the trouble is because odd enough it has some sentimental value as being the only upgrade the car had for many years and I could not come to grips to throw it away. I figured it was worth trying to fix and I think I have. I took apart both trumpets and sprayed both diaphragms with a pb blaster silicon spray and I sprayed the air compressor outlet with some of the same spray.

theothersawyer
06-09-2014, 01:38 PM
I am still very happy with my Nautilus! Easy to instal, loud, scares the shit out of people, and has saved me from being hit many many times!

The Thaw
04-09-2015, 04:23 PM
I installed my bad boy wolo horn today....suckers loud.....great!!! some lady in an suv cut over 3 lanes and tried to hit me....she didn't see me...doh!!! all I had was my meep meep ....that's fixed!!!!

Phatmiata
06-10-2015, 02:46 PM
Can you guys post some videos of how loud they ??? :slayer:

Agent☣Orange
06-10-2015, 03:08 PM
A set of tried and true Freeway Blasters. No air horns for me.

Phatmiata
06-10-2015, 03:22 PM

Are they electric? are they on your Vette now, or on the Miata?

Saint Simon
06-10-2015, 03:35 PM
I put a pair of '13 Taurus horns on. A ton louder and other drivers can hear them. Great upgrade.

Bruce
06-10-2015, 05:34 PM
The Crazy Red air horns were not only loud, but they had a very Italian dual horn harmony to them. I'd really like to find a replacement that has a similar sound. Decibels are important but not the only thing to consider. The Crazy Red's sounded SO 1960's Italian.

Agent☣Orange
06-10-2015, 06:51 PM

Are they electric? are they on your Vette now, or on the Miata?

Electric, made by FIAMM and sold at auto parts stores. There is a high tone and a low tone. I had them on my Miata, Z and just got a set for the Vette. I just have to install them when I'm down there again. I may add an additional high tone. I've had nothing but problems with air horns like seizing or not working when I really need them.

kung fu jesus
06-11-2015, 02:24 PM
I added FIAMM dual-tone rallye horns. The times I needed them, they were a fantastic upgrade. I mounted them to the front of the rad support. Loudness isn't something you're going to get from a video. Decent aftermarket horns will list a decibel output. The louder the better for these small cars. I mounted the same horns on my e30 last year.

I think Rogue has mounted horns from some older heavy metal American car on one of his Miatas.

Rogue
06-11-2015, 02:34 PM
Yep, 4 horns from an old Coupe de Ville with a relay……..They sound like a ship!
I put Bad Boys on many now, for how loud and easy install.

If you want to replace the Crazy Reds call David.
http://www.crazyred.com/pages/best_sellers.html#HORNS

NCGreasemonkey
06-19-2016, 12:41 AM
O.E. horns, but for a Buick Roadmaster. A,D and F note. Video is H2 first blow vs. Noir on the second.

https://youtu.be/LGGywnNGmFY

marlonthegreat
08-02-2016, 02:00 AM
I have this on mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMRUYt82GGY

Agent☣Orange
08-02-2016, 02:18 AM
I still maintain that air horns suck but insofar as electric horns go, I still like the Highway Blasters made by FIAMM and available everywhere for super cheap. If you want to get a little more hardcore and have $80 to spend for an electric version of a railroad sound, then a 4-note GM set is the way to go:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NOTE-HORN-SET-F-A-D-C-Train-Horn-Sound-/182226614270

BRGNA8
07-30-2017, 10:11 PM
Just bumping this thread, im wanting to upgrade the OEM horn on my NA

I came across a few like Nautilus, Crazy Red and someone has even upgraded their horn to an OEM dual tone Fiesta horn.

Just wondering if anyone knows of a plug and play option which isnt an airhorn like the first two mentioned?

Grumpy
08-15-2017, 06:13 PM
Had the Nautilus, gave up the ghost after several years, wound up going with hella supertones. Some may mount them lower, but I just used the stock mounting spots. In order to get them to fit, I bent the metal brackets, and removed the shiny red parts of the horn, used a relay, and wired direct to battery via the bolt in the fuse box,(red wire/blue connector) see pics.

kung fu jesus
08-16-2017, 07:25 AM
Those look like most horns off an American car from the past 40 years, just fancier. Hella, FIAMM, Bosch dual tones are the way to go. It's a simple circuit and the horns ground to the mounting bolts, so plug n play is pretty much most aftermarket.

TNRooster3
08-16-2017, 08:27 AM
Still have the standard horn on my car but as a secondary horn, I added this to Rooster a couple years ago. It's from CADDYSHACK - Rodney Dangerfield's car, got it from Boom Blasters.:blaugh2:
http://www.boomblasters.com/product/we-re-in-the-money-car-horn/

kung fu jesus
01-24-2018, 09:33 AM
The NB I bought had the stock horn, but two things were wrong: bad ground from the OE bracket, and the diaphragm was too tight. It sounded like a bleating sheep when activated. I loosened the set screw on the back of the horn and it worked fine. I prefer something with a bit more authority. I odered a single FIAMM Highway Blaster off Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FKKOK6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is a 12volt, 6 amp draw. The stock relay is a 10amp unit, so just a simple upgrade.

Because the stock bracket had some grounding issues, I just removed it and used the one provided in the horn kit.

Fits fine, much more 'urgent' in it's tone than stock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEcBDyfG6R8

***EDIT***

Let me back up a second here. From the beginning, the horn didn't work.

I had forgotten to plug in the clockspring connector when I had the steering wheel off. Disconnected the battery, removed the airbag from the steering wheel, plugged in the connector (single brown wire), reinstalled the airbag, connected the battery.

I removed the stock horn and bracket. Took the horn to the trunk, connected a wire to the spade on the OE horn, placed the other end of the wire on the positive post of the battery, grounded the body of the horn by touching it to the trunk floor. The sound was muffled and pathetic.

I found this video about fixing the stock horn. This works for NA and NB stock horns, not sure about other models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSRiVruN-ZE

After adjustments, the sound came back strong and clear. I already had the FIAMM horn and was going to use it.

I connected the FIAMM horn to the OE bracket, painted the bracket.

This I reinstalled this into the same location as stock, adjusting the horn placement to avoid rubbing the AC condensor and other parts (bending the bracket to clear). The horn would only work for one, short blast (<1/2 second), then not. I swapped in the OE horn, same thing. I could hear the horn relay (in the engine bay fuse panel) clicking. I hooked my electrical tester to the horn lead that connects to the horn, and grounded the other probe else where. I received a solid 12 volt signal when I pressed and held the horn button down. This told me it was a bad ground. I cleaned the bolt that attached the horn bracket to the car, removed the OE horn bracket, and just used the FIAMM-supplied bracket. This moves the horn up and makes the connection an easier reach for the wire, while still being able to clock the nautilus down to prevent collecting water and debris inside. Horn works perfectly now.

Phatmiata
01-24-2018, 09:34 AM
That reminds me I need to do this!!! Thanks for posting KFJ

HarryB
01-24-2018, 09:42 AM
You are so invisible in a Miata that I can understand the need for a horn with presence; however I may have used mine only once or twice in almost 3 years :P

kung fu jesus
01-24-2018, 09:55 AM
Edited the post to add more info and DIY diagnosing for future reference.

kung fu jesus
01-24-2018, 10:04 AM
You are so invisible in a Miata that I can understand the need for a horn with presence; however I may have used mine only once or twice in almost 3 years :P

Some states here in the US have an annual inspection. The horn is checked for operation in that inspection. If it doesn't, you fail and cannot renew your registration until it does. Annoying.

Georgia doesn't have this requirement, but living in a large city like Atlanta, the horn on these cars is pretty important. People don't see you changing lanes, people busy looking at their phone and not the traffic signals, etc. I've only owned this NB for two months and I've reached to use the horn at least a 1/2 dozen times in that time for instances like this and no tone. Just fixing stuff. :)

Phatmiata
01-25-2018, 10:42 AM
I just ordered this one off Ebay, is this the same one you got? Fiamm #72102

It was hard to pass up at $14 shipped. In the past I used Hella but when they stopped making them in Germany and now China they would only last a year, hope to have better luck with this one, but at least it was not $50 like the Hella or Crazy Reds I used to get.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiamm-72102-Horn/292004056946

kung fu jesus
01-25-2018, 11:00 AM
Yeah, it's the same model. It's not an air horn, never been a fan of them nor their reliability. I can't remember the ones I mounted on the NA or the e30, but they were similar. Two horns seems like overkill. :)

IIRC, this FIAMM had packaging that said Cadillac, MI. Not sure if that's where they are made or just located.

kung fu jesus
01-25-2018, 11:07 AM
Follow up: that is a US made product. Cadillac is a northern MI city in the lower peninsula, been through there a few times many years ago.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180125/f4bd657e24e83dfe1b2aa2b043fc3ced.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180125/0f5f7a3317310efe5f1ecdf63e62c08b.jpg

Phatmiata
01-25-2018, 11:30 AM
WOW!! Made in the USA !! Man you don't see than anymore.

Yeah looks like they offer this in a High Tone, and Low Tone, some folks install both.

kung fu jesus
01-25-2018, 11:50 AM
The horn description I read said 6 amps, the OE relay on my NB is 10. (LA10 relay). Two of these would need another relay to be wired in.

Phatmiata
01-25-2018, 03:52 PM
also can probably just use the Mazda 3 Horn OEM part number BN8P6678

kung fu jesus
01-25-2018, 07:26 PM
Would it fit? The LA10 has a shaped connector