stl boy
01-05-2013, 12:09 PM
Building a KAI for my 95

stl boy
01-05-2013, 12:10 PM
with a kit from advanced..but not sure what style yealds the most gains

Blueiii
01-05-2013, 01:02 PM
I think you mean CAI? How about more introduction and what your plans are?

wannafbody
01-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Maybe he meant KIA

stl boy
01-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Yea I ment CAI..wasn't paying attention..and have a stock 95 base modle..I want more power intake growl and a lil under hood bling

Blueiii
01-05-2013, 04:54 PM
<- Was once in the same place you seem to be! Welcome to the site!

CAI won't really get you anything other than sound and slightly cooler intake temps, however the location of the motor (as compared to the airbox) kills most of that. Try searching for "Randall Intake."

"Regular" bolt-ons don't do much for a miata, unfortunately. Some 1.8Ls have been known to respond to a slight timing bump (14 degrees total) but it varies. If you want a bang-for-your-buck mod that you'll feel immediately, get a set of sticky road tires. LOTS of suggestions on those, but I personally like Star Specs. (The slightly cheaper 615Ks might work well for a budget.) That's assuming you don't live in a snow-belt, though, as you definitely don't want ultra-high performance summer tires in snow or very cold temps.

It seems you're out of work - you might want to consider some cheap "time wasters" like I did shortly after buying my miata (then being let go from my employer the same week.) Most notably, if you haven't detailed your engine bay yet, start with that. Its quite rewarding to remove years of dirt and grime from under the hood.

Another good mod you will likely feel *might be your shifter bushings. Pull your shifter apart and take a look at the bushings. If they are destroyed, the $90 spent on new bushings and boots is a far better investment than a CAI.

stl boy
01-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the heads up didn't know there was a differince between a randal and CAI

Blueiii
01-06-2013, 11:35 AM
The randal is a style of CAI. It will require that you cut a hole in your firewall, but thus far its the ONLY one I've found that looks to be effective. Unfortunately, it won't do much in terms of feel or power increase. Where you feel most power is usually the bottom end (unless un-naturally aspirated, of course.)

Post up some pictures of your car and a "build" thread with your plans / what you want to do. Lots of people will be willing to give pointers. Sometimes the "I've tried it and it didn't work" posts will get annoying, but they're there to save you money, time and headaches.

If you want underhood bling, a project, AND some maintenance, why now replace your valve cover gasket and strip it / paint it while you're there?
If you look around you will also find that daisies can look relatively decent painted and its another cheap project.

Just trying to give you ideas on inexpensive projects to make your car your own, kill some time while hunting for employment, and keep your wallet moderately happy!