PDA

View Full Version : Ground Control coilovers question

Heyitsryan
01-15-2013, 02:08 PM
Well, I finally decided that I wanted to try and lower my car a bit more, so I put her up on jackstamds and got to work. With the GC coilovers, they only have one perch at the bottom of the coilover that is loosened and tighten by hex bolt, which is/was their gimmick in the early 00's.

I was able to successfully get all side lowered, but am having issues with my drivers side front wheel coilover. Unfortunately for me, the hex screw is stripped ( after I loosened and lowered the perch on the coil). :fp:
I know that they have a lifetime warranty and I could possibly get a new perch, cut the bolt, and redo the entire assembly, but I would like to avoid more work than I have to do.:lol:

The perch can still be moved by hand, would I have an issue if I went ahead and left it the way that it is? I don't think, that with the weight coming down on it that it would move ( it's tight enough to sit in place, but can still be moved by hand to reiterate), but I wanted to make 100% sure about it before I put the wheels back on and took the car off of jackstands. The car gets driven hard ( well driven at all) about once a month and only on a closed course, but I would rather also avoid destroying the coilover and my shock. Any insight on this would be wonderful.

I've found some answers on honda-tech, but once again I would rather verify and sure it will be ok. I couldn't find any materiel on GC/Miatas :(.

Thanks in advance!!!!:mrgreen:

Heyitsryan
01-16-2013, 09:42 AM
No one? I has a sad.

concealer404
01-16-2013, 10:29 AM
The perch will be able to move, unfortunately. I'd get to fixing that. :)

Heyitsryan
01-16-2013, 10:38 AM
Even with the weight on it? le' sigh :(.

Looks like I'll have some work to do haha!

Heyitsryan
01-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the response though man, I appreciate it!

concealer404
01-16-2013, 10:50 AM
Even with the weight on it? le' sigh :(.

Looks like I'll have some work to do haha!

It's not so much the weight as it is the constant vibrations. Even with weight, anything will "walk" when presented with enough vibrations. :)