PDA

View Full Version : Mimi the Sleeper

theRzRpanda
01-20-2013, 08:51 PM
I am new to the forums, so I'll start with that. I currently own a '99 Silver Miata I named "Mimi" for the adorable sound her horn made when I test drove her. Our story is one filled with love, trials, and a new found hobby.

I've always had an interest in vehicles, specifically small cars. When I was roughly 6 years old, mom and dad brought home a brand new Chevrolet Cavalier, right off the showroom floor. Throughout the years, that car had all sorts of problems through its service, ranging from a faulty oil pump to an explosive transmission (Long history of failures, just condensed). Luckily for me, my dad was mechanically inclined and fixed the problems with me supervising. I am thankful now for that piece of junk, as it has taught me the basics of my engineering career. When I was old enough to get a job and buy my own, I did. I had an idea of what I wanted: 4 wheels, an engine, running condition. Upon doing research, I stumbled upon Miatas everywhere, but was turned off by their apparent size. Everything changed when I test drove one. I immediately fell in love with the design, the handling, and the unbelievable peppiness that were never present in the Cavalier. Shabby comparison, I know :P After many strenuous days of car lot hopping, I finally found "The One."

Mimi's journey began December of 2011. She was in immaculate condition for her age, and mileage wasn't so bad at 102k. I have driven her daily since I bought her. I have never driven manual until Mimi, so the sheer excitement of 'zoom-zoom' was almost too much for me to handle. I started talking car with a few buddies, and they suggested I race her as she is, to see where I stand (Mind you, I was still trying to understand this whole "clutch" thing...). My first opponent none other than the king of teenage angst and stupidity: the '98 1.5L Honda Civic. First launch was a disaster, as I stalled attempting to take off. Second launch, was an act of beauty. Even without knowing the torque band or anything higher than 5k rpms, Mimi devoured said competitor. This is the point I decided I was going to milk her for all she's worth.

Being a frugal young man, I wanted to avoid turbo and supercharging at all costs. Turbo destroys insurance, and supercharging was far out of my budget... I decided to make her an N/A nightmare on wheels. First install was a K&N cold air intake. This was remarkably worthy of Mimi as she felt more responsive and significantly louder, without screaming. Her gas mileage seemed slightly improved too! Over time, I fell more and more in love with this car (My girlfriend is semi-okay with this love affair) and took it on longer road trips each time. Several street wins and an introduction to drifting later, I remachined the valves and lifters, and swapped in a longer throw shift kit w/ knob and extender. The improvement really helps with drifting as it allows easier reach in the heat of the moment (in my opinion). I'll post more pics (after upgrades) tomorrow when the sun is out. :8):

I'd like to improve the breathing process of the engine before anything else, I'd like to install headers and exhaust next. I'm not sure where to even start, as price fluctuates immensely without noticeable feature differences (I could be terribly wrong, someone please correct me if I'm wrong!) I would like to try the 4-2-1 headers because I read they improve mid-range torque and response. I also have many other small projects planned and unmentioned (I figure this is more than enough for one post :P)

So this is where I am today. I'd love insight and tips and even criticism (constructive please :P) from anyone who suffered through my ridiculously long post!
~Anthony

SM16RMSM
01-20-2013, 09:33 PM
Welcome to the madness. The Miata is a great little car with very few problems. And you bought the perfect year Miata, a 99. The 99 motors are known to be basically the best since the intake cam have a larger duration than any other Miata cam. That same cam was also used in the 04-05 Mazdaspeed Miatas. It a really good overall car. Great to start out and will last forever. As for the "supercharging was far out of my budget" isn't much true. There is a company that makes a supercharger kit that I wish was out before I bought my Mazdaspeed Miata. Take a look at this thread.

http://mazdaroadster.net/showthread.php?4710-Project-G-Goes-Forced-Induction-KraftWerks-Rotrex-Kit

With a programmable ECU, pistons and rods, and a ported head, you could be running about 200-275whp around 5-7 grand and that not really bad. The kit itself is 4k, 800 for a megasquirt ECU, better cooling runs around 500, and you be just above 200whp. That a lot of power for such a lightweight car. It will be fast. AND it will be more HP than trying to go all out N/A with stroker kit, ITB and such.

theRzRpanda
01-20-2013, 09:58 PM
Oh neat! That's good to know. So I guess that means I won't have to put cams in it later :) that's a sweet looking MSM you have yourself! I'm also considering painting the stock wheels either black or red. Suggestions?

SM16RMSM
01-21-2013, 07:25 AM
On a silver car, I thinking black but that is your choice. Going red would be too flashy IMHO.

theRzRpanda
01-21-2013, 08:56 AM
Honestly I was leaning towards the black, same reason. Just wanted a second opinion, thanks! I guess that'll be the weekend project and I'll be sure to post pics after it's done.

maharaj
01-21-2013, 09:22 AM
I agree with the black as well....if you were to paint them red you'd be like one of those flashy guys in red cars screaming for attention. :rolleyes:

SM16RMSM
01-21-2013, 09:29 AM
if you were to paint them red you'd be like one of those flashy guys in red cars screaming for attention. :rolleyes:

The correct classification is called "Riced". I would stay away from that at all cost if possible. It just gives the average idiot another reason to pull up next to you and call you gay. I really hate that.

Phatmiata
01-21-2013, 11:03 AM
I like Dark Gray Wheels on a Silver car, but i'm bias........

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8077/8339305278_2cf1687006_z.jpg

theRzRpanda
01-21-2013, 12:27 PM
Yeah, the whole point of Mimi "sleeping" is so that I don't disrespect the car and all fellow drivers by 'ricing' :P (because somehow I'll end up doing just that :whistling:) Beautiful MS3 there. I must admit, the dark gray wheels look pretty slick too! hmm. Choices, choices... Best part being this is very inexpensive :D

theRzRpanda
01-21-2013, 07:59 PM
Tragedy and Mimi do not go well together. While commuting home from work today, I noticed a peculiar noise from the car and a strange vibration on the shift knob... Several stops later, I hear a POW and clunk-clack-clink coming from the transmission. I quickly re-routed myself to the nearest autoparts store, begged for forgiveness, and asked for advice. Multiple issues. My slave cylinder ruptured, causing the throwout bearing to self-destruct, throwing little round balls of death through my friction plate and flywheel surface. Needless to say, we limped home, knowing this would be the last time Mimi would see daylight for a while...I'm going to use this opportunity to upgrade the flywheel while I'm at it. Lucky for me, FlyinMiata has a clutch/flywheel "happy meal" that seems perfect!...But alas, there goes budget for a while :P McDonalds and Taco Bell lunches from now on :(

SM16RMSM
01-21-2013, 08:49 PM
McDonalds and Taco Bell lunches from now on :(

McDonalds is horrible but I like there fish sandwich. Taco Bell is way better and cheaper.

The happy meal from flyin Miata isn't bad. it really a good replacement over the stock setup.

theRzRpanda
01-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Update 1/23/13: Mimi's clutch slave cylinder won't come off. The flare nut that comes off the hydraulic line is stuck pretty good to the slave cylinder. I've tried almost everything, including, but not limited to, wrench, bigger wrench, PB Blaster (Most people swear by this stuff), WD40, butane torch, hammer, swearing, meditating, begging, ritual sacrifice...All to no avail. I'm picking someone up today after work who has a "flare nut wrench". He claims he can pop it off in two tries or less. Should he succeed, he will be rewarded handsomely with a beverage of his choice and homemade cookies. The best part of all this: FlyinMiata's clutch happy meal is on serious back order, and won't be here until mid-March. I've had a terrible week so far and can't wait until this ends and Mimi's back on the road... I hate driving the Cavalier :P

Heyitsryan
01-23-2013, 12:21 PM
McDonalds is horrible but I like there fish sandwich. Taco Bell is way better and cheaper.

The happy meal from flyin Miata isn't bad. it really a good replacement over the stock setup.

As far as fast food goes I agree. Mcdonalds is pure garbage. I haven't eaten there in almost 5 years.

Great looking car so far, I'll be needing a clutch pretty soon.

Not sure if you care to save a few bucks, but there is a guy parting his happy meal with 40 miles on it for $400.

maharaj
01-23-2013, 01:02 PM
McDonalds and Taco Bell lunches from now on :(

Better yet, you better look into som ramens! Eat out when you can splurge! :)

theRzRpanda
01-23-2013, 02:01 PM
As far as fast food goes I agree. Mcdonalds is pure garbage. I haven't eaten there in almost 5 years.

Great looking car so far, I'll be needing a clutch pretty soon.

Not sure if you care to save a few bucks, but there is a guy parting his happy meal with 40 miles on it for $400.

Hey now, even garbage starts tasting good at only $1 :P I jump, no, LEAP towards savings if at all possible! On the topic of the used happy meal, can I have more details on that? Like is it the 10lb or 13lb flywheel? And why did he/she decide to part with it?

As for ramen....Hmm, that is true. Those little packs are ridiculously cheap!

theRzRpanda
01-23-2013, 09:46 PM
Update 1/23/13 v2.0: I finally got the slave cylinder off with the hired help, and those darned fancy flare nut wrenches. Although, judging by how easy he twisted the nut off, I'd say the PB Blaster penetrating oil has done its job overnight ;) After a quick test drive around the block, the damage seems obvious. I do in fact need a new clutch, throwout bearing, flywheel, and anything in between. I can drive her to work until her replacement parts come in. I decided to go with an Exedy KMZ03 clutch kit and Exedy ZF505 (11lbs!!) racing flywheel ($410 total cost for both, free shipping AND no tax! I LOVE YOU AMAZON). I'm going to need to stock up on my curse words and excedrin for the upcoming clutch job; I'll probably run out of both half way through :P Until then, I ride Mimi limping...

maharaj
01-24-2013, 01:32 AM
I'm going to need to stock up on my curse words and excedrin for the upcoming clutch job.

When working on your own car you can never have enough curse words. :)

theRzRpanda
01-26-2013, 09:10 PM
When working on your own car you can never have enough curse words. :)

Boy, don't we know it :P

Update 1/26/13: Just waiting on parts to come in monday... Will start draining tranny and spraying all bolts with penetrating oil. From what I hear and read, the hardest, most time consuming part, is just cracking the darned bolts loose... This will be interesting tomorrow night when I start taking things apart. I would say "wish me luck," but no amount of it can help me now.

theRzRpanda
01-30-2013, 10:04 PM
Update 1/30/13: Day four of disassembling the darn thing and I just now got the PPF off (I will explain very thoroughly how to if anyone would like, this certainly gave me the most trouble so far...)! I will begin by saying I AM NOT A MECHANIC, in any way, shape, or form... I'm just a desperate dude trying to fix something for free (The dealer and other shops quoted $800-$1200 to do the clutch. Price does not include flywheel!). I work full-time currently, so my four days work is actually just 8 hours spread apart. This job is absolutely ONLY for mechanically inclined people and minotaurs, because you need (even with a 4-foot breaker bar) unbelievable strength to dislodge some of these components. Here are some pictures along with some comments about each:
This is that grommet/washer/thing that you're supposed to pry out. Not as easy as people made it sound... But it did finally come out.

This is the first clip in the wiring loom attached to the PPF; also, the most difficult piece in the set to remove without decent tools :(

Hooray! These are the replacement parts I will theoretically put in. I say that cautiously because there's a good chance I'll just set the car on fire from all the frustration this 'little' job has put me through. (Well, maybe not, I do love my miata very much so. I just don't seem to have the patience required for this job :whistle:)

This is the transmission being held by a small jack on blocks (yes, I know that breaks ALL safety rules...) Otherwise, not a very exciting photo :P

And THIS, is the dreaded PPF frame, in all its glory. This is probably my favorite picture so far, because of what it took me to get it off. Everything else should be a cakewalk, right? :8):

All kidding aside, I have admitted this to be my limit. Anything more difficult or time consuming than this will just cause me to do terrible things to my beloved car out of anger... And insurance won't cover it, I called! :P I will continue my daily escapades and keep posting here as a way to de-stress. If anyone has questions about specifics, don't hesitate to ask. I'd hate for someone to have as difficult a time as I am! Until next post, good night all, and GOOD GRIEF :P

morr
01-30-2013, 10:33 PM
Damn, sorry to see you're having these issues so early! Better sooner than later I suppose. I had my slave go out while merging on the highway... that was fun :fp:

But hey, at least it's an excuse to get some nice upgrades!

theRzRpanda
02-02-2013, 11:35 PM
Update 2/2/13: Well, followers of my perils, it is done. Mimi has been released from the operating room and she is going to be a-ok! It took 12 hours (over the course of 6 days) to get her situated, but it's over. Yes, I ran out of swear words on day two, so it was a tough operation... It went through ALMOST perfect... I accidentally clipped the exhaust header gasket when remounting the header so she sounds like she has bad gas. Otherwise, no notable or discernible issues. The engagement point absolutely needs to be adjusted, but hey, I don't really care. I can drive again :P Now my favorite part, picture time!

This is the infamous transmission, as I'm sure most of you know what one looks like...

This is the old flywheel. That spot on it is grease...

And THIS, is the new set up! Notice, we left the entire exhaust assembly dangling. Only unbolted the header and the midpipe and we were set :)

This is a nervous Mimi, next to my two excellent helpers!

Bad throwout bearing. Drier than the Mojave Desert :(

Old pressure plate and friction disc. Honestly, not bad condition for 110k :8):

Rusty header... Need a new one soon :roll:

So yeah, that's pretty much how this went down. I am sitting here, writing this, on the verge of mental and physical collapse. Totally worth NOT paying someone else to do it. Not easy at all though. Hopefully someone will learn from my stupidity one day. Until then, ciao.

theRzRpanda
02-03-2013, 01:41 PM
Update 2/3/13: Well, what I thought was damage to the exhaust gasket was instead my stupidity yet again. I miscalculated the torque on the header bolts (Manual calls for 29-33 ft-lbs). A quick wrench here and there and problem solved! No more exhaust leak! So, I guess the whole operation went flawless, with the exception of my own silliness. Ya-freakin-hoo! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)