PDA

View Full Version : The Best Engine Swap... /end

bigx5murf
03-21-2013, 01:38 PM
I know I already posted this link in another thread, but I figured it deserved it's own thread considering how important the implications are.

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=112309

The K-series engines keep going down in price, and there's no denying they're superior in many ways. Before anyone brings up LSx swap, read the thread. They guy already has the block mated to stock miata 6 speed torsen. The steering rack is going to be moved forward 4". Guy plans on offering a kit which is only going to consist of custom tubular subframe, trans adapter hardware (there's pics already), exhausts, harness for k-pro. It is a lot less work than swapping a v8.

If they hit their target of a $3k kit. I'd say there's no longer a point to building BPs. It's less work than an LSx, while being even lighter than the BP. The K-series can make legitimate NA power, more than a BP with nearly unlimited budget. It handles boost well too, as well as fully built BPs.

treeafodo
03-21-2013, 01:55 PM
This is pretty awesome. I'm surprised it's taken so long for a swap like this to come up. I'll be watching that swap for sure.

bigx5murf
03-21-2013, 02:03 PM
This is pretty awesome. I'm surprised it's taken so long for a swap like this to come up. I'll be watching that swap for sure.

probably because of the honda stigma, and the distinctive bees in can noise

SM16RMSM
03-21-2013, 02:28 PM
Can someone say WINNING?

Martin
03-21-2013, 03:53 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not a Honda guy. From what model is the K-series?

bigx5murf
03-21-2013, 03:56 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not a Honda guy. From what model is the K-series?

I'm pretty sure any any could be used, but the one in the thread is from a 2.4 from a tsx. I think there was a shop that got it up to 290whp NA. Although 265whp NA is more the norm.

*the k24 is actually also found in many other Honda models. Namely, cr-v, accord, and current civic si. More good news, they're plentiful, and aftermarket will keep growing.

revlimiter
03-21-2013, 04:48 PM
Very interesting... I can imagine various racers complaining they shouldn't be classed with ls1 cars. Lol

The Driver
03-21-2013, 05:16 PM
YUMMY!

jux
03-21-2013, 07:48 PM
This could be a very enticing option to have. Yowza!

bigx5murf
03-21-2013, 09:12 PM
Very interesting... I can imagine various racers complaining they shouldn't be classed with ls1 cars. Lol

stock to stock probably not, rotrex a ka24 to 400+whp, while being 200 lbs lighter than an lsx, and having that 8k redline. I think they'll still be competitive.

charchri4
12-11-2013, 04:35 PM
I know this is old but I just had to laugh. Not at the swap I think it's going to be great when he gets the kit worked out. I am also a big fan of the new V8R V6 parts coming out.

No what's funny here is the title of the thread. The Best Engine Swap... /end. LOL You may as well say The Best Suspension Swap... /end or the The Best Brake Swap... /end, The Best Seat Swap... /end. I couild go on and on obviously.

Like all things automotive each swap has pros and cons and is unique to the values, talent and budget of the artist that builds it. To make a blanket statment like this and say there is a best is, well laughable!