PDA

View Full Version : Less Fuel Consumption-Long,Slow Acceleration or Short and Fast?

treeafodo
03-22-2013, 02:19 PM
I've been wondering about this for the last little while and I'd like to see what other people think.

Everyone thinks that taking it easy on the gas will make your mileage go up right? Well I've been thinking that if you accelerate at say 2,000 RPM for 30 seconds to get to a speed of 100 kph, or 60 mph, will that actually save more gas as to possibly accelerating at 3,500 or 4,000 RPM for 10-15 seconds to the same speed? Assume that after the acceleration you hold that speed for 60 mph at a steady 1,500 RPM.
I'd like to say that the quicker, higher revving acceleration would save you more fuel than the longer, slower acceleration, but I just don't know. I also haven't done math on paper yet.
Say all the variables are the same. Octane of the fuel, engine, injectors, tires, tire pressure, engine temp, air temp and even wind. Everything is the exact same. I'd like your thoughts, and if you'd like, even math in here too?

Martin
03-22-2013, 02:36 PM
Here’s my thinking:

Reasonable high speed yields better MPG than low speed. High RPM is bad for MPG. So get to your target speed briskly, not using terribly high RPMs and you’ll be getting overall better MPG.

So, the more time you spend at your target speed the better.

bigx5murf
03-22-2013, 02:58 PM
the more time you spend at your target speed the better.

This, get up to speed w/o going WOT, but get there quick, then stay there. Let off early if red lights ahead. You;'ll piss off all the idiots that like barreling towards a red

treeafodo
03-22-2013, 03:17 PM
This, get up to speed w/o going WOT, but get there quick, then stay there. Let off early if red lights ahead. You;'ll piss off all the idiots that like barreling towards a red
I don't mean go WOT, I just mean, like the driver said, briskly getting up to speed. Not going flat out ans looking like an idiot in traffic. :lol:

maharaj
03-22-2013, 04:30 PM
Don't forget to coast when possible!

treeafodo
03-22-2013, 06:08 PM
I forgot to include in the first post that I'm not asking this to try to improve fuel economy. I'm asking just out of curiosity.

theothersawyer
03-22-2013, 10:57 PM
I have read that getting up to speed quickly, like 60% throttle is best.