PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer stopped working

Danger
04-04-2013, 09:26 PM
Hey Mazda Gurus, I was wondering if any of you could help me out.

The situation:

My old speedometer cable had leaked out all of its lubrication and was making noise as well as making my speedometer shake like a, well, like something that shakes a lot. I did the natural thing and decided to replace it, did so, and enjoyed my new, well performing speedometer. That was a month ago.

Yesterday I was hooning around like I normally do, and all of a sudden the speedometer simply died, nothing, nada. It was totally unexpected except about a week ago my speedo did bounce around like crazy for a few minutes, but that was only one time. I figured the cable must have popped out behind the gauge cluster, and figured I would just fix it today.

On my way to work today I got a check engine light (P0500 - Vehicle Speed Sensor A). I inspected the connection of the cable to the transmission as well as to the gauge cluster, and both appeared to be just fine. I looked it up in my repair manual and there is a section regarding replacing a vehicle speed sensor (VSS), so I went to the dealer where they said exactly what I was thinking, that the speedometer is controlled by the cable, and that there is no VSS that I could replace.

Long story short: My speedometer has stopped working. My fairly new speedometer cable "appears" to be just fine, and I did get a P0500 CEL for the VSS. Did my new cable fail, or is there something that I am missing?

My car is a '96 Miata with a 1.8L and manual transmission. Thanks in advance!

wannafbody
04-04-2013, 10:18 PM
I'd let it go and get it fixed about a month before next inspection.

Martin
04-05-2013, 07:58 AM
My guess is cable snapped. You can disconnect the cable at both ends, spin one end and have somebody else see if the other end is spinning. Or put your old one back on (if you still have it) to see if that at least gets the speedo working, even if it's noisy and bounces.