PDA

View Full Version : All Weather Tires - The Good. The Bad. Help!

tehpounce
04-06-2013, 02:01 AM
I live in Georgia and the weather has been a bit on the rainy side.
I recently just upgraded from my 1996 Miata to a 2011.
My stock tires are absolute crap.
Everytime it rains I get zero traction on the roads.
Recently causing me to get into an accident even going SLOW around a corner.
The Miata is fine, minimal damage, that's getting fixed soon but now I'm in need of some tire advice.
I need something with more traction that wont kill me if/when it rains in the future.
Price isn't so much an issue, I just want quality.
Any and all advice is welcome!
Thanks!

bigx5murf
04-06-2013, 02:14 AM
All seasons = no seasons

If money is available, 2 sets is best. High performance summer + winters.

tehpounce
04-06-2013, 03:29 AM
Money isn't so much a factor. It's just a matter of shuffling finances.
High performance summers and winters? Any recommendations?

kung fu jesus
04-06-2013, 07:26 AM
All-seasons are a compromise. I was planning to try a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS on my daily driver. There are a few others I was going to research when the time comes.

I would suggest combing through the Tirerack website and read the tests, comparisons and reviews on all season tires. You can also search out reviews by other Miata owners there too.

Ultimately, we can't always get exactly what we would like, but I understand your issues. Over the years, I have found some manufacturers are better than others when it comes to tires. You really do get what you pay for, so you may want to take some time and consider the priorities of your selection.

Sure, I'd love to rock race tires on my daily driver as I did on my NA for a while, but it's not practical or safe considering the weather we get here in the South.

My daily driver is a FWD Acura, so I cannot speak to how it well the Pirellis on it translate to your car. MY wife DDs our NB, so I always take rain into consideration. She is currently on Yokohama S-drives. I had two sets of these on my M3. It's a summer tire and I bought these before we moved from CA to NC. She made it through the winter just fine.

Is your Miata your only car?

The Driver
04-06-2013, 08:27 AM
All seasons = no seasons

If money is available, 2 sets is best. High performance summer + winters.

Agreed.

tehpounce
04-06-2013, 06:39 PM
Miata is my only car. I'm definitely considering the 2 sets, I've also been recommended the Michelin PSS and Pilot Ex alto all weather tires. Just doing research between calls at work. Its such a tough decision, but I definitely don't want to have anymore spin outs.

Johnnie
04-06-2013, 09:30 PM
I've driven the Conti DW summer tire and it is supposed to be *the* wet-weather summer tire. If you don't need autocross-level grip, this would be the one for a street-driven summer tire. Get a good recommendation for an all-season (m/s rating?) that shines in sloppy stuff and that's about all you should need for Georgia. Ice/snow tires aren't necessary, IMO.

tehpounce
04-06-2013, 11:53 PM
I will be moving to Northwest Arkansas early next year for school but I suppose for now snow tires aren't necessary. I will definitely look into all the suggestions and compare. Thank you everyone for you time!! I do appreciate it. I've been on the hunt for new tires since my first spin out and my second causing a collision confirmed I needed new tires and stat.

etikoner
04-07-2013, 12:16 AM
Drive a little slower?

S drives are good in the rain.

Star specs are supposed to be really good as well.

tehpounce
04-07-2013, 01:11 AM
I was going maybe 25 around that turn and like 15 the first time I spun out. So it's not speed.
I literally have ZERO problems on dry pavement but as soon as its slightly slick, I slide.

DK Wolf
04-07-2013, 03:35 AM
Just get all seasons, but a decent set. Contis are some of the best I've ever had, and the roads out here on oki are slippery as shit (roads are made of coral, you can make a stock civic lose traction during a regular stop and go).

Had them on my FD, amazing. Still amazing handling in the dry during one of my autox. If you aren't competing, don't waste your money for summer tires. Who cares, odds are you won't be driving to the limit of your contis anyway.

I have all seasons on my GC8 now, and a spare set of RS3s for autox. Honestly.. I'm tempted to just sell my tires and pocket the cash since I still have a phenomenal time on all seasons. And the contis really have amazing dry traction.

More money, more happy. That's my philosophy

kung fu jesus
04-07-2013, 06:31 AM
NW Arkansas is Martin's territory. I've been there for business many times. Definitely get all-seasons. The weather can be a bit colder than GA and the rest of the SE.

Just a suggestion, too. Go out in a big/ smooth empty parking lot when it rains next. Practice the same turn you do when you spin. Just try to get a feel for how the car reacts when it starts to oversteer until you feel comfortable with making adjustments to control it.

The Driver
04-07-2013, 09:41 AM
NW Arkansas is Martin's territory. I've been there for business many times. Definitely get all-seasons. The weather can be a bit colder than GA and the rest of the SE.

Correct about Martin, but one thing... The weather is much dryer than experienced in North GA. Meaning less precipitation, less need for "all weather" tires.

Chops
04-07-2013, 10:03 AM
I was going maybe 25 around that turn and like 15 the first time I spun out. So it's not speed.
I literally have ZERO problems on dry pavement but as soon as its slightly slick, I slide.

How is that even possible if you're NOT pushing the car too hard for the conditions?

My very first autocross was in the rain with hard, worn Falken 912 tires and still managed good times around the track, and not once lost control. The Toyo Proxes T1R's I have now are also hard, worn and the right rear is as slick as a baby's ass, and I can still cruise along at 75mph in the rain on the highway without an issue, and drive without issue in town as well in the rain.

Sorry to say it, but I'm leaning more towards user error rather than equipment failure. Just my 2 cents.

The Driver
04-07-2013, 10:33 AM
How is that even possible if you're NOT pushing the car too hard for the conditions?

Sorry to say it, but I'm leaning more towards user error rather than equipment failure. Just my 2 cents.

How can you say that when we don't know what kind of tires the OP has or what shape they are? I'm a darn good driver, and the only time I lost it in the rain was on my first Miata (a Merlot) with some Eagle GT4 tires. I was not speeding and just leaving an off ramp on I-275 and Fowler Avenue. The tires were virtually brand new, installed by the previous owner. They were gone within a week, and have NEVER experienced that again.

Chops
04-07-2013, 11:00 AM
How can you say that when we don't know what kind of tires the OP has or what shape they are? I'm a darn good driver, and the only time I lost it in the rain was on my first Miata (a Merlot) with some Eagle GT4 tires. I was not speeding and just leaving an off ramp on I-275 and Fowler Avenue. The tires were virtually brand new, installed by the previous owner. They were gone within a week, and have NEVER experienced that again.

I'm not calling anyone a liar or anything, or that it didn't happen under proper driving for the conditions. I'm just saying that the condition my tires were and are in, I never had issues of loosing control or spinning out. And considering I don't have to worry about gassing up my car every 3 days anymore (more like once every 3 weeks), I don't exactly drive like a grandma anymore. In fact, my 1.6 sees redline just about every day, several times a way.

The Driver
04-07-2013, 11:57 AM
I'm not calling anyone a liar or anything, or that it didn't happen under proper driving for the conditions. I'm just saying that the condition my tires were and are in, I never had issues of loosing control or spinning out. And considering I don't have to worry about gassing up my car every 3 days anymore (more like once every 3 weeks), I don't exactly drive like a grandma anymore. In fact, my 1.6 sees redline just about every day, several times a way.

And I never accused you of calling anyone a lier. But your final conclusion, if we could call it that, is wrong. There is just not enough data to determine what the proper weak link is. OP says it is the tires, and based on my own experience it could very well be.

kung fu jesus
04-07-2013, 12:17 PM
OK,ok. Settle down. I'm sure Chops is Senna reincarnated, but lets stick with the OP's question. We are here to help others not criticize.

tehpounce
04-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Just get all seasons, but a decent set. Contis are some of the best I've ever had, and the roads out here on oki are slippery as shit (roads are made of coral, you can make a stock civic lose traction during a regular stop and go).

Had them on my FD, amazing. Still amazing handling in the dry during one of my autox. If you aren't competing, don't waste your money for summer tires. Who cares, odds are you won't be driving to the limit of your contis anyway.

I have all seasons on my GC8 now, and a spare set of RS3s for autox. Honestly.. I'm tempted to just sell my tires and pocket the cash since I still have a phenomenal time on all seasons. And the contis really have amazing dry traction.

More money, more happy. That's my philosophy

I lived in and drove in Okinawa for 2 years. :) Had a Nissan Cube over there though.

Chops
04-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Okay, I'm sorry for veering off (no pun intended). I'm certainly no Senna, though I wish I had his skills.

TD is right, we need more info from the OP as far as current tire model and condition. I was just saying that I've driven on some pretty crappy tires in my day in all weather and have had no issues like the ones the OP is having. Accusing or assuming I should have not done, and for that I apologize.

tehpounce
04-07-2013, 01:23 PM
My first miata I never had any problems. Bought decent tires for it, never experienced slippage, I say stock tires on my 2011 due to I only bought the vehicle 2 months ago. I've never had issues up until the past week of rain, and it has rained numerous times prior to that. When I was going over my paperwork for my car I noticed they had touring tires, which are great on dry pavement, but noticeably slippy on wet.

If you're basing your user error argument purely on the fact I'm a young female, I find that rather rude considering I came in for advice in regards to tires. I'm well educated on my car, and am educating myself on tires considering this is my first wreck.

Quicksilver
04-07-2013, 01:41 PM
FWIW, I have Conti DWs on my A4, a fine tire in the dry or wet (then again I have Quattro and live in Florida.) I have Falken Azenis 615s on my '96 Miata, with a Treadwear Rating of 200, and considering the great dry weather grip, they are grippy even in gullywashers. Enjoy your ride, and "Keep the shiny side UP".

tehpounce
04-07-2013, 02:01 PM
FWIW, I have Conti DWs on my A4, a fine tire in the dry or wet (then again I have Quattro and live in Florida.) I have Falken Azenis 615s on my '96 Miata, with a Treadwear Rating of 200, and considering the great dry weather grip, they are grippy even in gullywashers. Enjoy your ride, and "Keep the shiny side UP".

Great information thank you. I'll add that to my list of tires to look up when I get a day off. :)

The Driver
04-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Great information thank you. I'll add that to my list of tires to look up when I get a day off. :)

Key word, "Quattro". Even mediocre tires (not saying that his tires are crappy) will perform on 4WD. I bought my 4WD Taco with worn out 70K+ miles, and once I engaged 4WD, all worries went away.

Chops
04-07-2013, 03:32 PM
I say stock tires on my 2011 due to I only bought the vehicle 2 months ago. I've never had issues up until the past week of rain, and it has rained numerous times prior to that.

If you're basing your user error argument purely on the fact I'm a young female, I find that rather rude considering I came in for advice in regards to tires. I'm well educated on my car, and am educating myself on tires considering this is my first wreck.

I don't assume anyone is a man or a woman based on their avatar. I never said "he" or "she" in my posts. There's plenty of men on here with women as their avatars. It doesn't matter if you're male or female, there are good drivers and bad drivers alike. So if you think I was rude and/or offended by anything I said, that's purely your fault.

Secondly, and this one really bugs me (since several of us have already mentioned it), after about 8 posts on the subject, you have yet to mention the tires you have and their condition. Brand, model and amount of wear would be good information for us to actually help you better rather than just shooting in the dark with random suggestions. Also, your driving habits and possibly your daily commute would help.

The Driver
04-07-2013, 03:39 PM
Secondly, and this one really bugs me (since several of us have already mentioned it), after about 8 posts on the subject, you have yet to mention the tires you have and their condition. Brand, model and amount of wear would be good information for us to actually help you better rather than just shooting in the dark with random suggestions. Also, your driving habits and possibly your daily commute would help.

Agreed.

DK Wolf
04-07-2013, 03:42 PM
I'll say it again.

Just get continental extreme contacts. Clearly your level of driving isn't up to par with performance tires (and this is advice that should go for everyone on this forum). So don't feel the need to burn some cash to get 140 or 200 Tread tires that are a huge risk at even the slightest amount of water/snow.

My plan is to always have continental extreme contacts (or an equally good tire) on my miata at all times stateside. I have zero reason to need anything "better" for the street since the Contis are already a very high caliber tire. Not to mention a miata is buckets of fun with higher treadwear tires. Don't drink the kool-aid, just make a good financial and safety decision and get extreme contacts or another comparable tire.

tehpounce
04-07-2013, 04:04 PM
Sorry kept forgetting to write the tire info down before coming into work.
My current tires are Yokohama Advans - high performance street/tires. Which have been excellent on dry pavement. I apologize for not getting to that till now. Its RV season in the insurance world so my mind has been elsewhere.

tehpounce
04-07-2013, 04:05 PM
Amount of wear is new to fairly new as they came with my vehicle. Treading is good ( penny test).

The Driver
04-07-2013, 04:09 PM
^ A) Never been a fan of blanket statements. We have here a spectrum of drivers, some are great and some are not. At some point everyone buys the farm, it comes with the territory.

B) I've driven my summer performance tires in snow. Was I happy? Sure I wasn't, felt like an idiot for believing the forecast, but I sure didn't spun off.

Chops
04-07-2013, 04:17 PM
There's several versions of the Yokohama Advan tire, so it's still not great info, but better than nothing.

On that note, you still shouldn't be spinning out with those tires, even in the rain. I had Falken Azenis 615's on my '02 and drove all over creation with those things, put roughly 30k on them, yes, 30,000 miles. By the time I got rid of them, they were hard, very noisy and with scratch lines rather than tread. No, they didn't grip like new, but I still never had any mishaps in the rain with them either, and that was a lot of highway driving as well as backroad cruising.

If those Yoko's of yours have plenty of tread on them, then you shouldn't be having any issues with them in the rain IF you're driving properly for the conditions. If not, then it doesn't matter what tire you put on there, you'll still be flying all over the place but the road.

drv2fst
04-07-2013, 05:44 PM
I'm in Vancouver and it rains a lot here. My start specs were great in the rain but tread is wearing down now after 3 summers. I just back off speed a little on the highway. Cornering grip is still high. All season tires are too much of a compromise for any season.

I`d imagine it doesn't get that cold in GA, so look for a rain tire not an all season tire.

The Driver
04-07-2013, 05:52 PM
I`d imagine it doesn't get that cold in GA, so look for a rain tire not an all season tire.

In Central and SOuth GA, sure. But in the North GA, it gets COLD, so does NW AR.

tehpounce
04-07-2013, 06:50 PM
Maybe I just suck at driving. I've been driving manual and rwd vehicles for 5 years and never had an incident with a spin out until last week. *shrugs* I do appreciate all the information and will review everything and bring it up with my mechanic. thanks.

kung fu jesus
04-07-2013, 07:16 PM
I think you will do well with a well-known manufacturer. Michelins are very nice with a high price. I generally buy better tires for my wife's car, not because she is woman, just so I know she is safe regardless of the condition. She is an accomplished driver with a quite a lot of performance experience and more daring in those circumstances than a lot of men, too. She drives a lot for meetings and customer appointments, so it makes sense to have her worry less about tires and weather conditions and more on driving. I wanted to get Michelins on her NB the last go around, but I couldn't get them in time for a long trip she was taking.

Dont feel belittled by anything posted here. It is a new car to you and you may not be accustomed to it 100%. When I lived in SOCAL, I had to remind myself of my Miata's characteristics in the wet, it rained so rarely there.

Michelin, BF Goodrich, Continental, Yokohama, Pirelli, Bridgestone are all brands I would suggest.

Martin
04-07-2013, 08:05 PM
Others here know way more about tires than I do. But if you only have one set of tires you will need all-seasons. We have 100+ degree days during summer and it gets down to single digits in winter. Summer-only tires will suck in the winter here.

You'll love Fayetteville, it's a great town.

tehpounce
04-07-2013, 10:22 PM
Thank you. I'm super looking forward to my move to Fayetteville. I've heard great things about the place.