PDA

View Full Version : Crashed Miata at GMR (Glendora Mountain Road)

ResidentG33k
04-14-2013, 01:59 AM
Hey guys, my name is Steve. I'm new here, looking to get a NA here shortly. Hopefully I'm not posting in the wrong section. Last week or the week before I was with my friend in his WRX STi and as we were going up the mountain, we found a Miata (i believe it was a NB) that had hit a tree and flipped over. Luckily the guy landed away from the edge but totaled his car nonetheless. It was crazy to see. I told my friend to pull over to check to make sure they were okay. The driver was solo and walked away from the crash SCRATCH FREE. I was amazed and relieved he wasn't killed. Anyways, I took two photos of his car. Maybe you know the member.

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/4139/img20130405223416.jpg

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/6154/img20130405223406.jpg

RuckkehrMiata
04-14-2013, 04:02 AM
Me and a close friend wrecked on GMR. We had a wonderful spirited run up the mountain on my last night in pasadena. On the way back down, the tires by a stroke of bad luck, lost traction and we careened off the road. We were lucky in that the only damage was a cracked front lip.

DK Wolf
04-14-2013, 04:16 AM
That's an NA.

I also crashed at GMR. Except I did it epicly. First time out there, I pushed entirely too hard on a balding set of kumhos. Understeered and hit a mountain wall and drove sideways on that, slide off the road down one sides and missed a boulder here and there. Miata came out with no damage, except caked in wheels, and a tiny dent in the rear. It was a fucking hard wrecked. Since that moment on, I fell in love with these pieces of shit.

GMR is a fucked up road man. Lots of horror stories out there. Kids getting jacked and shit, wrecking.. it's nuts. I'd never go there again. Unless I got my CCW.

Stay the hell away from there, you won't find any good influences with that crowd. And this is coming from a 22 year old.

ResidentG33k
04-14-2013, 08:27 AM
@DK Wolf: Yeah man, I have friends that will take their bikes (motorcycles) on that road and I will not go up there. There's too much gravel on the road that you can low slide (where the bike slides out from under you). When I had my 300zx, I'd just go to Azusa Canyon or Topanga Canyon. GMR has really sharp turns, plus all the tuners that go up there cut corners on the way up and on the way down going 60+mph. Yeah I'd get my CCW permit for those purposes too. I'm 26 and I've seen stupid fucks up there. On the ridge of GMR (where everyone parks) there was some stupid fool that was drinking and pulled out a gun and got into an argument with another guy but some people jumped the drunk and took his gun. Yeah I've heard too many of the horror stories of people pushing their car more then what they think they can take at GMR. I think of the two times I've taken my own car up there, I never push my car beyond my comfort limits which isn't too much. People think they're invincible but they're sorely mistaken.

ResidentG33k
04-14-2013, 08:30 AM
Me and a close friend wrecked on GMR. We had a wonderful spirited run up the mountain on my last night in pasadena. On the way back down, the tires by a stroke of bad luck, lost traction and we careened off the road. We were lucky in that the only damage was a cracked front lip.

Plus you're lucky to have walked away :-O You went over the side?? dang.

treeafodo
04-14-2013, 02:07 PM
Wow, the driver is really lucky he came out without a mark.