PDA

View Full Version : rotted out rocker panels

lowandrusty
04-24-2013, 06:27 AM
I'm really trying to stick to a budget, but at some point I know I'll need to tackle my cars rust issues. Is there a good source for budget rocker patch panels? I've seen junk yards selling rockers they've cut out of scrapped cars but I'm not sure that's the best option. What are your experiences/advice on this subject? Keep in mind economical repair is the key here! Lol

treeafodo
04-24-2013, 10:18 AM
Do you have access to a welder or know how to weld? The cheapest way, I'd think, would be to do it yourself with material you have at home. I've seen people on other boards cut out the rust spot, and bend a piece of sheet metal to fit where they need it then weld it in.

kung fu jesus
04-24-2013, 10:48 AM
BTDT Racing makes patch panels at the rear quarter area where the rust issues are common:

http://btdtracing.com/gallery/v/Parts/rearquarters/

atank
04-24-2013, 12:42 PM
I'm really trying to stick to a budget, but at some point I know I'll need to tackle my cars rust issues. Is there a good source for budget rocker patch panels? I've seen junk yards selling rockers they've cut out of scrapped cars but I'm not sure that's the best option. What are your experiences/advice on this subject? Keep in mind economical repair is the key here! Lol

Send me pictures of what you need and I will cut some out for you, I have several great rust free bodies in the warehouse.

wannafbody
04-24-2013, 05:08 PM
You need to look and see how bad the rust is on the inner structure and treat or replace that as well. Welding a section on the outside will help or if the rust is fairly light the Racing Beat fiberglass flares might cover the damage nicely.

kung fu jesus
04-24-2013, 07:33 PM
Or our tasty sponsor, Project G, has a sweet side skirt, diffuser.

lowandrusty
04-25-2013, 11:30 PM
Send me pictures of what you need and I will cut some out for you, I have several great rust free bodies in the warehouse.

I will try to do that! Tricky part it's that the rivited patch panels cover the damage and it's my daily driver so I'd hate to pull those panels off and have to drive with big gaping rusty holes in my rockers. But I know eventually I'll have to face this problem. Ugh....damn new England winter roads

WASABI
04-26-2013, 07:50 AM
Well, I can tell your from experience, that after you cut out the rocker rust you can successfully cover the rocker holes with strategically placed BLACK Duct Tape.

http://www.fagerquist.com/miata/build/rocker tape.jpg

This is a temporary fix that will keep your pretty clean while you are working on them. Good luck!

atank
04-26-2013, 07:58 AM
A miata I bought a while back had spray foam in all the rust holes, then they rattle can painted over the foam.......bahahaha

BoBo
04-29-2013, 04:45 AM
I know that there is a drain by the rocker panel that could cause rust if it's plugged up, but if you have a hardtop wouldn't that help prevent future rust in that particular area. In addition, hardtops will even help prevent leaks if your rain rail is bad right. Does someone have any input on this?

BoBo
04-29-2013, 04:50 AM

If you know a friend who can weld, then you will be fine. Other than that you have to cut the area of rust and weld a new plate over it. If you can't reach certain area, maybe some rust converter will help. And then try shooting it with self-etching primer, the zinc in it will help prevent rust.