PDA

View Full Version : Alignment for a long road trip

dangerousdave
04-26-2013, 03:18 AM
New to the forum, but we're prepping the car for a big tour of the US and I'm taking it in for an alignment soon. Wondering if we should ask for 0 camber, etc? Hoping to do a little spirited driving, but also need the tires to last as long as possible.

Phatmiata
04-26-2013, 02:49 PM
You can drive spirited just fine with a stock alignment, I would not recommend an aggressive alignment for a long road trip as it will just eat up your tires.

dangerousdave
04-26-2013, 10:19 PM
I dont think it's stock, just got the car last week and the rear camber looks very negative. Should I go with the FM specs?

Agent☣Orange
04-26-2013, 11:01 PM
How much weight do you plan to carry in the trunk? How much are your combined weights? You may find stock alignment specs to be just fine or go with slightly less.

You really can't have it set up optimally for performance and tire longevity for a trip like this so I would suggest weighing the car down with the anticipated total weight (meat and cargo) and finding a place that will do an alignment to your specs based on that. Even better if you two could sit in it during the process.

Just ballparking here assuming 400lbs of humans and 100lbs of cargo, front: max caster, 1/8th toe out, -0.1 camber. Rear: -0.5 to -0.1 camber, zero toe.

Like I said, just showing train of thought rather than absolute numbers. You may weigh 300lbs and your partner may weigh 100lbs and you might carry 200lbs of junk in the trunk. Don't know but smart of you to ask. Do you know your tire pressures? Are your tires in good shape? Do you have a contingency plan? Spare parts? Tools? Roadside assistance plan?

dangerousdave
04-26-2013, 11:26 PM
Very good points, I wonder if I can find a place that will let us both sit in it during the alignment. We'll be getting a new set of tires right before leaving. Also going to put together a custom tool kit for the trip as well. What spare parts would you suggest?

kung fu jesus
04-27-2013, 10:43 AM
I think an alignment for anti-fatigue, less aggressive is the way to go. You don't want to be pushing the car too hard anyways. It will still be fun to drive. Don't overthink it.

Tools; 10 - 19 mm combo wrenches, 1 phillips, 1 slot screw drivers, pair of pliers, phone charger and an up to date roadside assistance with rental allotment. God, I sound like an old man...