PDA

View Full Version : VA Looks like I'm headed to Virginia!

DK Wolf
04-26-2013, 09:08 PM
So I just got orders and looks as if I'll be stationed at Langley AFB. Any military members out there also?

Whats the area like? Tracks? Car culture? How expensive are miatas? etc etc. Just want the whole rundown of the state

kung fu jesus
04-27-2013, 07:50 AM
Summit Point, WV, that track in NJ, VIR. Miatas in N.Va are a mixed bag...some are from the north, some are from the south, so rust is a concern. A few hours south, looking in NC can yield better results. Congrats on the new orders!

Phatmiata
04-27-2013, 07:56 AM
From Japan to Virginia, wow :fp: sorry about your luck.

I had orders for Nofuk, VA. got out of the service soon after :toomuch:

JLBMX5
04-27-2013, 08:00 AM
Sell your Miata .buy a pickup truck and call everyone bo . Then you will be a redneck and fit right in :) oh wait that's here here in NC. But VA is pretty close so be prepared lol

kung fu jesus
04-27-2013, 08:00 AM
Yah, Va is a little funky. And expensive for what it is.

DK Wolf
04-27-2013, 08:26 AM
Sell your Miata .buy a pickup truck and call everyone bo . Then you will be a redneck and fit right in :) oh wait that's here here in NC. But VA is pretty close so be prepared lol

Bah... I doubt that's what will happen. I doubt I'd get a pickup, I'm very money conscious and I'd probably pick up a CRX or some other unworldly high MPG vehicle (maybe even a ruckus) to scoot around in, in tandem with the miata.

From Japan to Virginia, wow :fp: sorry about your luck.

I had orders for Nofuk, VA. got out of the service soon after :toomuch:

Duude.. Langley AFB is actually dope. This was actually 2nd on my dreamsheet, Nellis being number 1. I'm part of a tenant unit once again so that.. again.. is awesome news. I'm tired of the high ops tempo of short grueling deployments from SOCOM and the constant in-n-out and short notice everything. I'll be excited to go work with the NOSC and Space Command and maybe get a proper 6 month pump to the sandbox in.

Plus, I'm already extremely well traveled. Even before I joined. I broke 20 different countries I've visited when I was 19. So the whole where I live, didn't really matter as long as it wasn't absolutely fucking freezing. I would hate that.
Because my priority are still the same.

Get my masters
work out a shitload
work on a car with any remainder time I have/hit the tracks

But this is my last duty station. I'm separating after this is done.

Summit Point, WV, that track in NJ, VIR. Miatas in N.Va are a mixed bag...some are from the north, some are from the south, so rust is a concern. A few hours south, looking in NC can yield better results. Congrats on the new orders!

Really excited to hit up VIR. Although I wonder if there's any sort of "miatachallenege" type events out there that I can sign up. And what are the programs/requirements to get me on those tracks? A link to an organizer like speed-ventures equivalent will be awesome.

I'm debating how I'll go about finding a miata. I might actually just buy one down in NC if the pickings are decent. I've been out of the car registration game for too long, so I don't know how I'd be registering my vehicle.. if it would have Virginia plates, or Cali ones since I'm a resident there with a CA license?

kung fu jesus
04-27-2013, 08:37 AM
I lived in VA for a short time. The inspections are pretty thorough. I don't remember the process, it has been over 10 years. I do remember it was a WTF when they measured the height of my bumpers when they found out I was on springs (not a Miata at the time). The taxes were high, too. So, it wasn't entirely unlike CA.

I don't know if there is a Miata Challenge here, but there are a lot of reputable HPDEs running events at VIR often. I know the Tidewater area, near Norfolk, runs a lot of events. Lots of military car enthusiasts. As for DC, people like to drive by feel, it seems. Hard to find any car around the city without rubs or dents on it, even the newer cars.

DK Wolf
04-27-2013, 08:43 AM
Hmm.. good thing I'm getting a POS miata. I was contemplating bringing my Porsche out there, but after reading what the neighborhoods are like... I'm leaning more towards just keeping the P-car at my house in Cali and have my roommate sit on it some more.

I'll have to find those HPDE sites.

Hmm... I wonder if I could still buy a car out there, but register it in Cali... how would I go about doing that.... -_____- hmmmmmmm

to the googles!

kung fu jesus
04-27-2013, 09:09 AM
The Military people I know have their cars refistered to the state of their residence. Not sure how that works with CA.

wannafbody
04-27-2013, 09:37 AM
Radar detectors are illegal in VA

DK Wolf
04-27-2013, 09:48 AM
Radar detectors are illegal in VA
thanks?

I never have purchased one before, and never intend to. I'm not somoene who makes a habit of speeding. I'm never really in any rush when I drive.

kung fu jesus
04-27-2013, 10:49 AM
VA troopers are similar to CHP and Ohio troopers. Very professional, but sticklers.

DK Wolf
04-27-2013, 11:16 PM
So I just threw myself over at VA driven, seems like it's the kind of crowd that's just my style. Enough salt and vinegar to scare away the little pansies and not too many idiots.

Anyway, if anyone knows of any VA miata chapters/forums I'd love to get on there and starting figuring out shit. Thanks a bunch

riefdaddy
05-05-2013, 10:01 AM
I live in Yorktown, just north of the base. When are you getting here? I haven't seen the Miata scene around here yet, but I do know there are a few guys on Langley who have Miatas. Virginia does tax, but it isn't bad on a Miata. You might pay $50 each year, due to depreciation. Annual inspections are not that big of a deal. They check for safety items, but you must have your SRS system functional if registered in Virginia. You can keep the CA registration, since you have the three state rule. So my advice is register the car in CA and not in VA. PM me if you have any questions!

riefdaddy
05-05-2013, 05:57 PM
DK, I'm joining this group. It appears to be an active group, but I have no information on them beyond the link. http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/miatanuts/

DK Wolf
05-06-2013, 04:31 AM
I will NOT be registering a car in CA to drive in Virginia. Insurance would ape-rape me.

I don't mind the whole SRS routine, I'll just swap in a decent wheel when I hit the track. Or if it's not that crazy, keep an aftermarket wheel on and just throw on the SRS wheel for inspection. But I HIGHLY doubt I'll be registering a car in Cali to take to virginia. That whole process just sounds like a pain in the dick.

DK Wolf
07-23-2013, 08:40 AM
Alright, the time has come for me to start hunting for a Miata in the area. If anyone knows of a Miata for sale near the Richmond/Hampton area. Put them in contact with me. I have a method of payment and pickup available.

There's one guy selling his STO.. but this dude is insane enough to ask for 5k!! And it doesn't even have a hardtop!

tsingson
07-23-2013, 09:33 AM
Are you looking for an NA or NB? I am always up for selling mine if someone inquired about it.

DK Wolf
07-23-2013, 10:21 AM
Hmm.. I was shooting for NAs primarily.

I could be interested in your NB. Shoot me a price that tickles your pickle and we'll see if we're playing in the same ballpark

riefdaddy
07-23-2013, 11:20 AM
There are a number of NAs available. Any particular color? Year? Options? Mileage levels? Let us know and we can get a list together for ya.

ZQQMIN
07-23-2013, 12:17 PM
If i come across something ill let cha know. Welcome...

kung fu jesus
07-23-2013, 02:04 PM
Expand another 100 miles. I should cover Raleigh/Durham, Wilmington, Greensboro. Another 120 will cover Charlotte.

DK Wolf
07-23-2013, 04:22 PM
There are a number of NAs available. Any particular color? Year? Options? Mileage levels? Let us know and we can get a list together for ya.
No particular color, just no custom weirdness. Would prefer one with lower miles and a 1.8, but anything in good shape just throw my way and I'll see.
Has to be stick, would prefer one with a torsen.

Would like as stock as possible, however conservative mods are fine. Rollbar is a plus. Hard-top not necessary.

Expand another 100 miles. I should cover Raleigh/Durham, Wilmington, Greensboro. Another 120 will cover Charlotte.
I don't think my friend is willing to drive out that far to pick up a car on my behalf. =\

DK Wolf
07-23-2013, 04:23 PM
If i come across something ill let cha know. Welcome...

Thanks a bunch dude! Keep me posted.

I'll see you soon. :P

kung fu jesus
07-23-2013, 04:41 PM
Cheap flights, bruh.

DK Wolf
07-24-2013, 07:37 AM
I may have found a Miata. It's in kinda rough shape, and I just would like someone to stop by to check it out. It's near Langley AFB if anyone is local enough and wouldn't mind swinging by. Just let me know and I'll coordinate a meet between you and the current owner.

I'll pay for gas money :P

Tekel
07-24-2013, 11:28 AM
There are a lot of guys in that area. Check out Tidewater roadsters.

DK Wolf
07-24-2013, 12:25 PM
I'm already on there. Not too many guys selling their cars.

Some guys are asking some flatline STUPID prices. 5k for an STO with 160k?! And no hardtop? No thanks.

There's one guy I'm currently dealing with. Kid wants 2.9k for this 96 r package, with a shitty paintjob, 260k, and some cheap mods. He claims it has a new motor (130k) but no evidence to support it. I won't be paying 2.9k for a 260k miata.
Jesus, it's like all the cars out here are stupid expensive. KKB puts that Miatas value at 1.2k LOL

riefdaddy
07-24-2013, 01:50 PM
I'm right near Langley. PM me and I can go take a look at it for you. No need for gas money, I just need a reason to go drive. :)

riefdaddy
07-24-2013, 01:55 PM
Have you looked at this one? (warning, it is a 1.6, not that there is anything wrong with that...) http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/3955588796.html It looks nice. The only thing I notice is the passenger door looks dull. Easy enough to inspect. :)

DK Wolf
07-24-2013, 01:55 PM
PM'd

DK Wolf
07-24-2013, 04:48 PM
Cancel.

That miata won't pan out. Foo.... I'll be hunting for Miatas in your area. Widening my scope.

DK Wolf
10-06-2013, 09:05 AM
I'll be there Oct 27th in my Miata.

Will be looking for events and meets in the area, any local guys should add me on FB. I'm also on tidewater miatas so let me know if you're in there or not. :D

Also.. there better be good eats in that region

oneslow90
02-10-2014, 03:16 PM
https://www.facebook.com/groups/408562865939608/ heres a local group on facebook to the area