PDA

View Full Version : Antennas

Mints
05-08-2013, 05:44 PM
Hey guys. The antenna on my NA is broken off. I have the automatic antenna and was looking to replace it. I'd like to go with a shorty if possible. I ordered one from Gomiata and it doesn't look like its gonna work. What do you guys recommend?

Mints
05-08-2013, 09:49 PM
Could I just swap the power antenna with a fixed rubber shorty?

Agent☣Orange
05-08-2013, 09:55 PM
You could easily do that but IMO they look pretty low-rent flopping over like they do. If you live in a rural area, stations might not come through too clearly. If you're set on a shortie, look into an Honda S2000 antenna as it will look and function great as well as use Fuba replacement masts in different lengths.

Mints
05-08-2013, 09:59 PM
as of right now the only thing thats broke is the actual antenna that raises and lowers. Is it possible to keep the motor in , install the shorty to it and remove the fuse that powers the motor up and down?

Agent☣Orange
05-08-2013, 10:04 PM
No, they're completely different. You can get a repair kit for your stock antenna which is basically a new, tubular mast with a new plastic gear strip. If you already have just a threaded, shortie mast, you can get a base, possibly an amplified one from any auto parts store and just pull the stock antenna motor out.

paulsk
05-08-2013, 10:05 PM
http://locustom.com/www/shark2_kit.htm

Mints
05-08-2013, 10:10 PM
is the shark fin antenna pretty much plug and play after removing the motor unit?

Agent☣Orange
05-08-2013, 10:18 PM
Yes, any aftermarket antenna kit pretty much is. You already have the hole and most kits have everything you need (base + mast). I got my latest antenna kit from Advance Auto for about $8 for the whole kit. It has a 30" black rigid mast and the reception is great. Notice I'm saying "kit," not just "replacement mast."

Mints
05-08-2013, 10:21 PM
Ya i already have the shorty antenna so I would like to use the one I already have. So basically just go to my local advanced or autozone and look for an antenna base?

Agent☣Orange
05-08-2013, 10:46 PM
Well, they always carry replacement masts but I haven't seen replacement bases. Your best bet is to get a kit. They're inexpensive enough and you're time and efforts, I assume, are important as well. Like I said, I got my whole kit for $8 I think and I'm very happy with it. There are always coupons for those parts stores so you could save a couple more bucks too.

Who knows, your current mast could fit the base in one of those kits as they usually come with three little adapters.

Mints
05-08-2013, 10:53 PM
Awesome, thank you for the help. Just one more quick question. Does this all get connect inside the truck where the motor would sit, or do I need to run the wiring all the way back to the radio?

Agent☣Orange
05-08-2013, 10:58 PM
Well, on my NB, the long cable terminates in the trunk with a female end. Aftermarket antennas usually come with a foot or two of cable terminating in a male end so it's just simply plug and play.

Mints
05-08-2013, 10:59 PM
Thanks again, Im gonna hit up my local auto store tomorrow and see what they got and start ripping it apart.

Agent☣Orange
05-08-2013, 11:25 PM
You're welcome and good luck. A few more tips: you can always trim down a tall antenna if you don't like its height although reception might be affected in a rural area. Second, some bases, like my cheapie, even swivel so you can angle your mast however you want and third, get some clear silicone to seal the base to the Miata body. You don't want water getting in due to a poor installation.