PDA

View Full Version : Full custom instrumentation (nine gauges in all)

Pfunk
05-13-2013, 06:36 AM
So with all I'd put into the motor on my NB, I wanted a complete set of gauges to monitor it and I didn't want to keep the stock gauges. I'm anal enough that I wanted matching gauges and I wanted accurate ones as well. I worked with Speedhut to get: 4" tach & speedo, 2 1/16" fuel level, water temp, oil temp, water pressure, oil pressure, AFR, and voltage. Mounting them in a way that seemed stock-ish was next on the to-do list so I used a vacuum former and a blank I made from MDF for the recessed gauges, and mounted the hood gauges using a hollowed-out stock unit and some more plastic work. It's taken a few days but I'm happy with the progress so far. I need to source some satin black paint and decide which warning lights to keep/make. Only airbag, side brake, seat belt, and ABS remain; undecided as to which to keep, if any, particularly since I'm not sure I'll keep the stock steering wheel.

I have another idea for a mount, but it will take a lot more time and maybe a 3D printer, so this will do for now:

SM16RMSM
05-13-2013, 07:02 AM
That is too cool. Reminds me of the interior of my Dad's C3 Corvette with the center gauge cluster setup. I want to do a similar setup in the MSM once I lay the money down to have the motor beefed up and a bigger turbo installed. But I want to do a all digital instrument display. But I plan on using a RacePak IQ3 instead.

Pfunk
05-13-2013, 07:04 AM
Yeah, some other folks suggested that same approach; I just like analogue gauges. The IQ3 is a great unit, though.

kung fu jesus
05-13-2013, 11:03 AM
Looks great Paul.

That vacuum table will come in handy if you decide to add a veneer later.

cbaylis77
05-13-2013, 09:31 PM
Those are perfect! Want to make me some in white? :D

Pfunk
05-13-2013, 09:51 PM
Those are perfect! Want to make me some in white? :D

These sorts of things always only work as labors of love on our own vehicles, kind of like that fella on CR that made the great NB tail lamps; thanks for the compliment, though. If I'm successful with this other idea I have for a new panel I'll post these for sale in the proper section, but that will be a while as I need to work out the construction details...

Ciotti
05-13-2013, 09:53 PM
I'm sitting in a pool of jealousy right now

Pfunk
05-13-2013, 10:09 PM
So long as it's green, and not yellow and... warm.