PDA

View Full Version : something very strange happened Miata won't go into gear?

muttnutt
05-14-2013, 01:07 PM
i have a 2001 base miata1.8 the other day while at a drive thru i pushed in clutch to put in first,and it didnt want to shift,i had to turn off car and start in first,had to powershift all the way home,one block from home,i was able to shift with clutch,but i did notice a loud grinding noise when i pressed clutch in,i figured id start shoipping for clutch seems throwoutbearing was goin bad,so i purchased a clutch kit,after shopping around to see who is going to imstall it for me,the car is shifting fine no grinding noice nothimg clutch grabs halfway seems nothing wroung now,im thinking about returning clutch kit,could it have been just air in lines,any help will be appreciated.

MX5RACER
05-14-2013, 01:28 PM
Either the clutch slave cylinder or clutch master is starting to go. When the car is cold, jack up the passenger side, use a jack-stand, and check the boot on the clutch slave cylinder. If you squeeze the boot and fluid comes out, you need to replace the slave.

muttnutt
05-14-2013, 01:56 PM
already replaced master and slave,when i bought car 6 months ago the guy told me he had replaced clutch,no sure if he did it right,when i let out clutch when cold it jumpsss tranni shakes is that normal? but like i said eveything is smooth again no noice no nothing,thinking about returning clutch kit or maybe i should just keep it just in case.

muttnutt
05-14-2013, 02:01 PM
just thinkin maybe air got in system oneway or another,just trying to save $ its expensive to separate tranni to just look.but if it does it again ill just invest and install brandnew kit right,i think the guy forgot to grease the throwout

iamdallas
05-14-2013, 06:00 PM
6 months isn't too short of a period for either of those parts to fail. Check them.

Pyr0monk3y
06-12-2013, 07:06 PM
Yup, go ahead and check them The slave cylinders on these cars fail like it's their job. Maybe I've just had bad luck with them but I've seen 5-6 go bad on various friends miatas over the past year. However, it's very impressive that it fixed itself, I wouldn't expect that from a slave cylinder. Maybe there's a lot of dirt or rust in your clutch lines. A big flake of debris plugged a passage somewhere. Then as the car started moving it shook loose. Seems plausible to me. A clutch fluid flush and bleed is always a good idea.

I wouldn't return the clutch kit just yet.