PDA

View Full Version : 1999 miata oil leak near crankshaft

Tammy
05-14-2013, 03:07 PM
Hi Y'all! Help I am having a BIG problem with an oil leak near the crankshaft. I've had 2 different mechanics change the seals, try a sleeve etc. Both seem to think they're may be too much play in the cranshaft. Am looking to buy a used motor for $1500.00 plus $600.00 to put in with 52,000 miles on such. Does anyone feel I am justfied saving my little car that I've been driving for over 13 years. Looking like a 90 day warranty. Am I crazy or would you say go for it if I DON'T wan t car payments! Please feel free to reply to tammyzoom@aol.com. It's really urgent that I know asap what y'all think. Thanks and have a great day.

Demon I Am
05-14-2013, 03:27 PM
That's a bit expensive for a motor, but you do what you have to do. For only a little more, you can buy one that has been fully rebuilt. Does the $600 include all the seals/fluids/incidentals required for an install?

Tammy
05-14-2013, 03:33 PM
Yes sir

Demon I Am
05-14-2013, 03:40 PM
If the person is guaranteeing their work, that is a decent price for labor and all. Motor swap is not hard at all, just takes some time and tools.

Tammy
05-14-2013, 04:05 PM
Just spoke to a Mazda dealer who quoted me $1700.00 for a motor with 80,000 miles and wants $1900.00 in labor. I think I gotta go for it.....

The Driver
05-14-2013, 05:17 PM
What is the vehicles overral condition? Pics maybe? The reason I ask, is because that is a lot of money, for a car that may not be worth it. Point of reference, When I got rid of my '95 Miata, I was looking at over $2,000 for a car that needed body work (paint) and new interior. I used that money the get a MUCH cleaner Miata.

kung fu jesus
05-15-2013, 07:22 AM
Tammy, I feel the same way...would rather pay to keep a car like this going than have a car payment.

The first quote you received is fair. The second, from the dealer, is pretty high.

There is an issue with some '99 engines with the bearings on the crank, causing the crank to walk (move front to back). To have a shop rebuild your current engine, if the damage isn't bad, would cost about what the dealership is asking. In the early '00s, there was a good amount of those engines getting yanked and replaced. It is possible that the rebuilder could get into the engine and find the damage is irreparable, moving you back to square one.

Here is the issue in greater detail. (http://www.miata.net/solo/99miatathrustbearingfailure.html)

It is possible to have a short block from a 99-00 installed with your head and ancillary parts. A short block is a rebuilt bottom portion of the engine. In this instance, an '01-05 bottom would work too, but the compression is a *little* higher. No so much a big deal, just an FYI. the '01-05 motors have a different upper engine, so you couldn't use that without some fancy stuff, but the bottoms are interchangeable. Where are you located? Some of the people on here may be able to point you in the direction of a reputable shop familiar with these cars.

Most shops probably won't want to deal with sourcing a short block and transferring over your parts to it. A specialty shop familiar with the car *might*. It is an option to discuss with them.

Tammy
05-15-2013, 11:13 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm actually in Southeast Florida. Tired of second quessing myself. I gave the guy the $$$ and he should have the motor by Friday and start the repair on Monday. So hopefully by mid week all goes well and I have a car with basically 52,000 miles and a few more years! :)
All in all this miata has been pretty good to me and is a perfect car for me to go back and forth to work, Publix and the beach!

Tammy
05-15-2013, 11:16 PM
PS I do have a hard top that I'm thinking of listing for sale on this site. I have it stored in a friend's garage and haven't even had it on in a few years. It's the sapphire blue like my car.

The Driver
05-15-2013, 11:21 PM
^ And when you do, please post where the car is located and pics of said car.

BTW, out of curiosity is it a '99AE? That could net you quite a bit of money if you are willing to part it out!

kung fu jesus
05-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Tammy, good luck with the repairs! Sounds like you are in good hands.

I might be interested in that hardtop when you are ready. Shoot me a PM!

I have 170k on my 10ae and it is still going strong. Some people just had bad luck in the early years of the NB. I have had weird issues with it, some call it the "10ae Curse", but it has been mostly from the CA emissions stuff on it and neglected maintenance from the previous owner.

Tammy
05-16-2013, 07:45 PM
Not familiar with what 10ae is....

WDBMX5
05-16-2013, 07:50 PM
10th anniversary edition

JLBMX5
05-16-2013, 07:57 PM
Blue car with blue interior trim . That's all I know about it

Tammy
05-16-2013, 08:05 PM
Aha! No mine has a black leather interior....