PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy first Miata

breakingcontact
05-17-2013, 12:40 AM
I drove a Miata for the first time today and am hooked.

It was an NC but $15,000.

I'm not interested in the NA cars.

Would I be well served with a NB mode for around $8000-$10,000 or should I step up to $10,000-$12,000 and get a NC?

I'm looking for a manual of course.

Also, what years were the MazdaSpeed versions made and are they that much better?

Thanks for any input/info.

theothersawyer
05-17-2013, 01:26 AM
Well first off, welcome!!! You'll enjoy it here!! I have a few question to try and give you a better answer to your question.

Will this car be your daily driver?
Why don't you want an NA?
What will you be using the car for? (Daily, track car, weekend cruiser, etc)

You should be able to easily find an NB for $8000-$10,000. They have significantly come down in price and you should be able to find a good low mileage one for that price!

Mazdaspeeds were produced from 04-05. Are they worth it? Well, that depends on what you want out of the car. They are great stock and will produce enough power to satisfy most people, but when you start to modify it, you will quickly learn the ECU is the biggest downside of that car! With that said, mazdaspeeds are great fun!

In terms of greatest miatas the order would go: NA>NB>NC
In terms of the greatest car the order would go: NC>NB>NA

The NA has the least creature comforts were as the NC has the most, so it all really comes down to what you want out of the car!

Welcome again! Miatas are very addicting!!

atank
05-17-2013, 05:46 AM
Welcome to the forum! I think "theothersawyer " ^^ sister has her Mazdaspeed for sale if you want a nice MSM.

breakingcontact
05-17-2013, 06:17 AM
Appreciate the feedback. I've been doing some initial research so I understand the primary differences between the models.

I'm looking for as new as I can afford, that's mostly why I'm not up for the NA but understand the appeal for the hobbyist/purist.

This would indeed be my daily driver for my relatively short commute. I figure if I've got to commute to work, I might as well have some fun doing it.

Any particular models/years to stay away from?

Agent☣Orange
05-17-2013, 06:23 AM
It's hard to predict which Miata would be best for you without knowing more about what appeals to you and how you plan to drive it or mod it.

breakingcontact
05-17-2013, 06:43 AM
I do enjoy working on cars. I wouldn't put lots of major modifications onto it but would do the relatively inexpensive changes. I live in Austin TX, so how I'd drive it would mostly be w the top down, highways and some country driving. Yes we have some nice twisty roads around here. We do have a big race track in town, so the occasional track day may be possible.

I've read good and bad on the 6 speed in the MazdaSpeed.

Here's what I'm looking at. I'd like to go as affordable as I can without going too old or with too many miles. Any of these jump out as good deals, good cars?

http://inventory.signatureautos.com/web/used/Mazda-MX-5-Miata-2006-Austin-Texas/7690100/
http://www.coverthutto.com/2007-Mazda-MX-5-Hutto-TX/vd/14795366
http://www.southpointnissan.com/web/used/Mazda-MX-5-Miata-2004-Austin-Texas/7800413/
http://www.roundrockhonda.com/detail-2006-mazda-mx~5_miata-base-used-10468268.html
http://www.bluestartrucks.com/2002_Mazda_MX-5%20Miata_Elgin_TX_185808204.veh

Thanks again.

kung fu jesus
05-17-2013, 06:55 AM
I would take the NB over the NC. The NC is a better daily driver but the aftermarket support isn't just as broad as it is for the NB.

The biggest issue on the 99-00 is the thrust bearing failure on a few of the engines. Most have been vetted out by now. The '01-05 models are all very solid.

The NCs suffered a few engine glitches primarily in the '06-'07 models.

For your price range you will find what you want in an NB.

Of your selection linked above, #4 us the only one I would look at. #1 & 2 are average at best. The Mazdaspeed at #3 is modified, so don't bother. The NB in #5 is crap pricing and something looks odd about those seats.

I might suggest looking into which packages offer more of what you want and the combination of such, like a limited slip differential, suspension packages, appearance packages, leather, cloth, etc.

The issues with the MS 6 speed is spotty. The gears are shotpeened on that version. The 6 sp on the rest of the NBs are prized for the gearing and the transmission's durability. The 5 speeds do feel a little nicer, though.

atank
05-17-2013, 06:57 AM
On the third link above, if you get that Mazdaspeed kill those wheels, or have them replace them with the factory Racing Harts.

breakingcontact
05-17-2013, 07:15 AM
Oh I forgot to mention that I read the NC cars have more room and I like that although I've never sat in the NA/NB cars.

kung fu jesus
05-17-2013, 07:25 AM
My biggest gripe with the early NCs has to do with the cupholder on the door. My leg hits it and it is a bit of a nag. What I like the most about the NC is the interior and the amount of tire you can stuff under the fenders.

breakingcontact
05-17-2013, 08:47 AM
Ha! I could argue the car should have zero cup holders...could understand 1 or 2...but 4!?

theothersawyer
05-17-2013, 08:48 AM
Welcome to the forum! I think "theothersawyer " ^^ sister has her Mazdaspeed for sale if you want a nice MSM.

Yes she does! It will be sad to see that car leave though!

breakingcontact
05-17-2013, 09:54 AM
I am drawn to the MazdaSpeed version for the cool factor but like the idea of the NC cars being a bit bigger and newer.

kung fu jesus
05-17-2013, 11:05 AM
I suggest driving both extensively and making a decision off your preferences. The NB feels much roomier than the NA, the NC feels even more refined, but the NB feels like a nice balance between the two. At that price point, I believe you can find a nicer, lower mileage NB than you will in an NC. Your preference will override this though.

Martin
05-17-2013, 11:17 AM

Yes she does! It will be sad to see that car leave though!
Ooo... lava orange. Very nice color.

breakingcontact
05-17-2013, 12:11 PM
As much as I like the idea of driving both extensively...I won't have the opportunity to do that. I was reading about the NB interior dimensions...about the same in head and leg room but 3" narrower in the shoulder?

I am going to try and look at the 04 MazdaSpeed Mazda this weekend and the 06 base model. I feel more comfortable at $8000-$10000 than $12000-$15000. As far as finding older NA/NB in good shape with low miles...I haven't looked for the NAs but haven't found many NBs.

theothersawyer
05-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Ooo... lava orange. Very nice color.

Her car is immaculate!! I wish I had the money to buy it!!

Phatmiata
05-17-2013, 02:28 PM
I would really like an NC for a daily, there is plenty of performance mods you can make, and they are a blast to drive.

SM16RMSM
05-17-2013, 02:56 PM
I'm a MSM owner and I love every bit of driving mine. The only major issue is the factory ECU. Getting a custom made Megasquirt solved it. If you still want to run the factory ECU, the only monthly problem is a little three way solenoid valve will get suck open and you loose power. It known as the dreaded BOG. I clean mine every month and spray a little bit of silicone stray. It takes about 10 minutes and your done. On the 6 speed, the only down side is that it really short and the shifter throw is long. A Miataroadster short sifter and Motorcraft full synthetic manual tranny fluid is a must do. The best under $400 modification to make. The tranny fluid is a major upgrade by itself. Upside, the 6-speed can hold more power and I love driving a six speed.

On the plus side, there only 5428 made in the US market. I a proud owner of MSM #374 of 4000 made in 2004.

The one your looking at is #1579 of 4000 made in 2004.

kung fu jesus
05-17-2013, 03:06 PM
As much as I like the idea of driving both extensively...I won't have the opportunity to do that. I was reading about the NB interior dimensions...about the same in head and leg room but 3" narrower in the shoulder?

I am going to try and look at the 04 MazdaSpeed Mazda this weekend and the 06 base model. I feel more comfortable at $8000-$10000 than $12000-$15000. As far as finding older NA/NB in good shape with low miles...I haven't looked for the NAs but haven't found many NBs.

I find this surprising, especially for Texas. In that price range, I see a lot of low mileage NBs around $10k (under 80k) I would stay away from the dealers and look more at Craigslist. If you have a friend familiar with the car, bring them along. If not familiarize yourself with the common problem areas in each, maybe make a list and go from there. If you can also deal with a a private shop that knows these cars, ask them how much for an inspection and tell them what you want checked. A lot of dealers won't allow this.

breakingcontact
05-17-2013, 04:06 PM
Drove the mazdaspeed. Totally sick car. Offered $7500. They wanted 9k

Found a 94 with 40,000 miles but they want $10,000.

kung fu jesus
05-18-2013, 06:57 AM
You're going to find the NAs are starting to rise in price. The NBs are still decreasing or flattening a bit. The NCs will have a lot of miles on them in that price range. IIRC, the 05 MSM is more rare because a major factory fire took a big chunk of them out. The black and orange MSMs are not as common as the red and titanium ones (04s) because of this.

breakingcontact
05-18-2013, 11:35 AM
I came across the blue 94 miata while looking for the mazdaspeed. Around 40,000 miles but $10,000 for a 94. The grey one is the 2006. It is rougher than the mazdaspeed. The Mazdaspeed for the year is excellent condition. Good tires, nice paint.

Not entirely sure what direction I'm going. Looking at a Corolla XRS, Mazda 3 hatchback and a Toyota Matrix XRS today too.

afc2112
05-18-2013, 11:39 AM
9k for the MSM is well within your 10k budget for an NB...I personally wouldn't get the 94. An NA just isn't worth that much to me.

breakingcontact
05-19-2013, 09:43 PM
Still looking. Going back and forth with "how reasonable is it for me to have a 2 seater?". I do have a more civilian vehicle to drive, so this would be a second vehicle, for me, to make my commute less boring and enjoy on the weekends.

Came very close to buying the 06 this weekend. But now looking at NB cars for around $5000.

breakingcontact
05-19-2013, 09:48 PM
Still looking. Going back and forth with "how reasonable is it for me to have a 2 seater?". I do have a more civilian vehicle to drive, so this would be a second vehicle, for me, to make my commute less boring and enjoy on the weekends.

Came very close to buying the 06 this weekend. But now looking at NB cars for around $5000.

wannafbody
05-19-2013, 10:06 PM
I went to the import swap meet at Carlisle this weekend. Someone had a mint 96 M for $4800. If I'd had my checkbook with me I'd have been tempted to put a deposit down on it. Deals are out there, just be patient and look.

maharaj
05-19-2013, 11:01 PM
Deals are out there, just be patient and look.

:bow: In addition, depending on where you live, the season could be a factor in the price.

breakingcontact
05-19-2013, 11:05 PM
:bow: In addition, depending on where you live, the season could be a factor in the price.

Good point, but here in Austin, prices might drop in summer it gets so hot!

The cars I posted above have from 100,000 to 40,000 miles. All for less than $6000.

2013 Matias are crazy expensive I found out.

kung fu jesus
05-20-2013, 07:07 AM
Typically, Miatas are cheaper to buy in the fall and winter. There is a larger inventory to choose from in the spring/summer.

Phatmiata
05-20-2013, 01:05 PM
I came across the blue 94 miata while looking for the mazdaspeed. Around 40,000 miles but $10,000 for a 94. The grey one is the 2006. It is rougher than the mazdaspeed. The Mazdaspeed for the year is excellent condition. Good tires, nice paint.

Not entirely sure what direction I'm going. Looking at a Corolla XRS, Mazda 3 hatchback and a Toyota Matrix XRS today too.

Where is the 94 Blue at? I think that is a 94 Laguna w/tan which is uber rare color/interior option which with low miles would explain the 10k asking price.

kung fu jesus
05-20-2013, 01:41 PM
Took me a little more than a year to find the first Miata I wanted with the color, age, miles, price I was willing to pay.

kung fu jesus
05-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Holy time capsule! Pricing seems a bit high. Nice features and options on that one. I don't recall if that is the correct factory stereo or not. I thought those were only in the '93 LEs, but someone else here might.

kung fu jesus
05-20-2013, 02:32 PM
Just wanted to add... That '94 is a rare find, indeed. It goes beyond the color and interior, though. The '94-95 models are often prized for the upgraded comfort features, OBD1 (easier to modify and run power-adders), and Torsen LSD. That has an LSD (the leather, pw, and cc are the key indicators as it came standard with those upgrades).

breakingcontact
05-20-2013, 02:56 PM
The blue 94 was $10,000 when I looked at it this weekend. I scoffed at that. Its around $7500 now. Not sure what its worth and didn't know it was any kind of rare. Super low miles on old cars concern me in a way. (I feel old, 94 is 20 years ago?)

kung fu jesus
05-20-2013, 03:04 PM
I understand. I bought my '92 in '00 with 3x,xxx miles on it. It sat in a garage a lot. When I started driving it everyday, the oil started seeping out of a lot of places. Most of the seals I replaced were just preventative maintenance, but they were dried and brittle from it too.

I love the NAs, but I find my wife's NB a better, easier car to live with as a daily driver/commuter or longer trips just because of the extra room and comfort. I think the NCs will drop considerably when the ND comes out. This will be especially true if that model is better than the NC. When the NC came out, the reaction was tepid and the values on the NBs actually held really well and have been so until the last few years. used cars in general are priced pretty high. Most of that, from what I have read, has been attributed to the Cash for Clunkers program (reducing supply, increasing demand).

breakingcontact
05-20-2013, 06:55 PM

1992 for $5000

afc2112
05-20-2013, 07:46 PM
7.5k is much more appropriate. Though at that price, I'd still choose the MSM for a bit more cash.

kung fu jesus
05-21-2013, 07:15 AM
I would lean that way too. If the prices of MSMs had been lower when I bought the 10ae in '09, I would have one. OEM ECU tune aside, it's a good value.

Mountain Green
05-21-2013, 06:39 PM
For what its worth, I just got my first Miata. Its a 99 NB, 5 spd sport. 98K odo, runs very strong, tight and love it.
Only $5 K for it. I'm hooked ! Go for it.

breakingcontact
05-22-2013, 10:00 PM
i have found some 2000-2002 models with around 100k for $5000-$7500.

Although I am currently looking at a Corolla XRS as well.

SteelReign
05-23-2013, 12:25 AM
Still looking? I think its odd to cross-shop a Miata and also the sporty compacts you listed. Miatas can be daily driven but if its your only car, its tough to do everything. Those compacts probably won't make the commute as fun though. Ever consider something in-between like a sporty coupe? While I was looking for my Miata, I also looked for used 02-06 Acura RSX Type-S's. Those are in your price range, are really practical hatchbacks and can have a little fun too. Another might be a 00-05 Celica GT-S.

kung fu jesus
05-23-2013, 07:38 AM
I'm going to throw this in on top of Steel's comments...

I drive a base RSX w/ leather as a daily driver, I was looking for an '02-05 Civic Si because I owned one 10 years ago. If you look at those (EP3/DC5), the Civic Si hatchback is a far better value, especially the '04-05 models. Great interior, funky-but-fun shifter, decent power, fun to drive. I bought the RSX because the deal was too good to pass up. I dislike the seat in it, too flat. The K-series Honda motors are really quite nice, super easy to maintain, reliable as hell. My '03 Si I loaded to the gills and moved form NC to CA in back in '06. All it had was Konis. Eibach springs, a rear sway bar and wheels/tires. It is one of the few cars I regret selling. Fantastic daily driver, the longer roof over the hatch on the Si versus the RSX gives it a lot more utility. The Corolla never impressed me. Same for the Matrix, I looked at them and they have great utility too, but I couldn't feel inspired by it behind the wheel.

The RSX I loaded with my wife, my 70# greyhound and luggage and gear for a week spent on the Outer Banks last summer. I averaged 34 mpg.

I HATE Honda products, save a few, but I love the practicality of these two models.

My '03 SI:
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff166/force_mccocken/DSC00025.jpg
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff166/force_mccocken/DSC01885.jpg
(on the way to CA)

breakingcontact
05-23-2013, 08:26 AM
Im not finding much in my price range and what I do find, especially on civics is very high miles. As far as why I'm looking at Miatas and other cars...the Miata is what I would like most. I found a one owner 2000 for $7000. Going to look into that today.

Mountain Green
05-23-2013, 08:34 PM
Just another suggestion, if your looking for a good daily driver, my other Mazda is a 2010 mazda 3- 5 door hatchback.
It's been flawless ! Sporty yet functional...lots of space, handles the twistys great.

kung fu jesus
05-24-2013, 07:04 AM
Good point. I have been impressed with the handling on the Protege/3 for a long time.

Lebowskiguy
05-31-2013, 12:36 PM
Based on the cars you're looking at, I have no doubt that you'll see THE Miata that looks and drives perfect for you. I drove an NC for the first time 2 months ago and I was hooked. 2 weeks ago I found the exact color/trim level NC that I wanted and jumped on it. Couldn't be happier.

Oh, and don't be scared of cars that haven't averaged 12-15K miles per year. The '06 I just bought only had 37K on it. Literally looks brand new.