PDA

View Full Version : Help - low blinker fluid

drv2fst
05-21-2013, 08:06 PM
So yea...my front passenger side blinker won`t work, just stopped a couple days ago. Parking lights work. Left signal works fine (normal speed), right side blinks fast (rear).

1. I checked the bulb (looks new), replace the bulb anyway (twice), same problem.
2. Checked socket with voltmeter and I can see voltage jump up and down.
3. Bent the two copper tabs at bottom of socket up and the one on the side in and put the bulb back in...same problem.

Not sure what to do next, any ideas.

wannafbody
05-22-2013, 06:45 AM
Add more blinker fluid

drv2fst
05-22-2013, 11:54 AM
blinker fluid topped up :lol:

I'm thinking I need to replace the light bulb socket.

kung fu jesus
05-22-2013, 12:26 PM
When one side blinks faster than the other, there is a burnt out bulb on the circuit, or perhaps an LED bulb in the other blinking light on that side. Basically, there isn't enough resistance the circuit is looking for in the flasher module, so it blinks faster.

drv2fst
05-22-2013, 12:41 PM
That was the 1st thing I checked, bulb looked fine but I replaced it anyway, didn't help. I don't have any LEDs. Rear bulb works. Lack of resistance from open circuit makes me think the contacts in the socket don't have sufficient contact with bulb.

Martin
05-22-2013, 12:43 PM
Jiggle the handle

WASABI
05-22-2013, 01:37 PM
Your front blinker bulbs get more exposure to the elements, and I have found that the connector does fail, in so much as, it stops working, you take it out, and jiggle the bulb a couple times, and it works again... reinstall it, and it goes off again! You might need a new connector plug.

wannafbody
05-22-2013, 01:39 PM
Look for corrosion in the socket, clean with a brass wire brush if you find some, put some dielectric grease in the socket, insert bulb.

drv2fst
05-22-2013, 02:05 PM
OK, I was just playing around with it, I think socket is OK. I unplugged the socket and tested voltage in terminal behind; when I bend wires the voltage disappears. These wires lead to another connector mounted to the sheetmetal under headlight. I removed it from sheet metal but can't separate the connector.

Anyway just came back in to see if I could even buy this section.

kung fu jesus
05-22-2013, 02:24 PM
I'm a bit confused now. Any pics? Is this an NA or NB?

did you bend the wires in the socket (the contact points) or the wires in the harness? If you bend the contacts and that happened, the socket is most likely corroded inside.

drv2fst
05-22-2013, 02:46 PM
NA8C - 1997

There is a ~10" wiring harness between the socket and main harness that seems to be the problem,...

But while trying to find PN, I found these also where a few people on MT and Mnet had problem with right side turn signal, and it turns out to be a faulty flasher. I wouldn't have thought flasher unit if it was only one side.

http://www.miataturbo.net/general-miata-chat-9/turn-signal-not-working-30254/
and
http://www.miata.net/garage/turnsig.html

I need to go back and check.

kung fu jesus
05-22-2013, 02:59 PM
Could be. If you replace the flasher, you can modify it by removing a resistor on the board and adding another so you can add LED bulbs without the dreaded "ricer flash" (really fast).

Before with LED bulbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmlpF96W-GA

After the flasher mod with LED bulbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-fs0KZNWLY

SM16RMSM
05-22-2013, 03:15 PM
I ment to get on here earlier and post my 2 cents. I notice a common problem with the front left side blinker. I had this issue with my 1993 and my 1997. The socket for the bulb goes bad. If you look and follow the wires, if you start from the socket and go under the headlight assembly, there is a connector for the turn signal. You can disconnect the cable and socket from the vehicle harness. Take that small 5 inch section of socket and wire and plug it into the working side, IF it works, then you know it is something else. BUT if the bulb doesn't light up, you can replace the socket and it will be fixed. I fixed two other Miata that had the issue. I get a few guys who come to me looking for a flasher unit and it ends up being the socket. If you pop your lights up, it easier to get your hands on the connector. Having the turn signal out also helps. A small flat screw driver is a must to get it to come out. I will take a picture of the small harness that needs to be looked at. You can check it in about 10-15 minutes.

drv2fst
05-22-2013, 03:20 PM
I took apart the flasher unit and it looks OK visually (others said the could see faulty solder joint).

This is the harness, anyone know where I can find part number ?

drv2fst
05-22-2013, 03:25 PM
SM16RMSM - Thanks, that's the harness I suspect, The socket separates from it (see above) but I'm having a hell of a time disconnecting the other end.

Agent☣Orange
05-22-2013, 03:31 PM
Good post.

I ment to get on here earlier and post my 2 cents. I notice a common problem with the front left side blinker. I had this issue with my 1993 and my 1997. The socket for the bulb goes bad. If you look and follow the wires, if you start from the socket and go under the headlight assembly, there is a connector for the turn signal. You can disconnect the cable and socket from the vehicle harness. Take that small 5 inch section of socket and wire and plug it into the working side, IF it works, then you know it is something else. BUT if the bulb doesn't light up, you can replace the socket and it will be fixed. I fixed two other Miata that had the issue. I get a few guys who come to me looking for a flasher unit and it ends up being the socket. If you pop your lights up, it easier to get your hands on the connector. Having the turn signal out also helps. A small flat screw driver is a must to get it to come out. I will take a picture of the small harness that needs to be looked at. You can check it in about 10-15 minutes.

SM16RMSM
05-22-2013, 04:13 PM
Good post.

Thanks you for the kind words, sir. I seen this thread and for some reason, a light bulb lit up. I ran into this issue before and I fixed it about 8 times now. My 93 had a bad flasher, the driver side front and rear blinked fast. I crashed her before I fixed it. Then the 97 ran into the front left not working and replacing the bulb didn't fit it. I never did fit it since I was rear ended and it was totaled. Then after I got the MSM, I started selling off NA stuff that I had. I had people come to me for random stuff and just about every time, someone had one of the front turn signal bulbs not working. I come to conclude that I think the wiring inside the socket itself goes bad over time. I think the head and wether exposure takes a toll on the wiring and soldering. I only ran across the bad flasher twice and it usually the the one side blinks fast, my 93 and someone's 94. I never seen it discussed before and so I figure my two cents are worth something.

drv2fst, The picture of the wire is the correct one. Since it never been disconnected, it will take some time. I done it a few times so I know how to get at it. It gets to a point where you think you might rip the wires out. I always though it would be a ground issue but the other elements works so it can't be a ground since both elements use the same ground.

You really don't need a part number. You can get a replacement socket from Napa or somebody and you can also ask the Miata community for one too. I have to look and see if I have one but shipping to BC might not be worth it. it easy to splice in a new connector and use some electrical tape, wire crimps, and heat shrinking tubing to finish the job off.

kung fu jesus
05-22-2013, 04:23 PM

Good post.

Agreed! Yellow beat me to it!