PDA

View Full Version : Ethanol Free Gasoline Possible for Florida's Future?

SM16RMSM
05-27-2013, 01:28 AM
Well, we all know the stories, rumors, ups and downs of ethanol gasoline. The pros is that it better for the environment and a cons are that it does more damage to older generation vehicles made beyond 2006. Even the added sulfer to Diesel fuel has hurt older generation trucks like my 2001 Duramax tow rig. BUT what if we could go back, go back to ethanol free gasoline, to have a choice if we want to use ethanol or non ethanol gasoline in our vehicles. It would be great to use non-ethanol fuel in older generation vehicles like the NA and NB Miatas to prolong lifespan of components and then have the choice to use ethanol in the newer generation vehicles built and design to run on ethanol fuels.

Well, there is a bill sitting on our Governer's desk right now that could make it a reality.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-05-13/news/fl-ethanol-bill-repeal-dv-20130513_1_ethanol-mandate-ethanol-free-gas-alternative-fuel

This could be a major game changer for many who are either with the bill or against the bill. I would vote for it since I personally thing corn based ethanol is not good for our engines. I don't think this is the right direction we need to move in since we need more renewable energy sources, and not battery powered vehicles. We still need to focus on producing better biofuels and using the natural resources given. But our 2007 solution to fix a leaking pipe isn't working five years down the road and now we need to find a better solution.

If we do pass the bill and other states follow, we could possible see the decrease of pricing across the board. Maybe milk won't cost 5 bucks and buying stuff won't be so pricy. It could work out for the better even if ethanol gasoline is 20 cents more down the road, I willing to pay the difference.

maharaj
05-27-2013, 08:06 AM
Depends on who the lobbyist is and what The Governor will be getting out of the deal. If it makes common sense then you can forget it. :P

SM16RMSM
05-27-2013, 01:50 PM
Its up to him, but with the voting through the House and Senate, I think it will most likely become a reality soon.

RotorNutFD3S
05-28-2013, 10:43 AM
Pretty interested to see what comes of it.

Also, there are many stations that offer ethanol free gasoline already, for instance there's a Texaco not far from my house that sells ethanol free 90 octane. It's a bit more per gallon at fill up but my NB goes further with it, so it about evens out. http://pure-gas.org/ lists stations that offer this by state and city.

RyanG
05-28-2013, 12:21 PM
I could not care less either way to be completely honest but ethanol does not damage the NA or NB engines or fuel systems. There are plenty of people in the Miata community who run E85 all day everyday. All they change are the injectors and the rest of the fuel system is stock. Our cars do not suffer from the normal problems that other older cars do from prolonged ethanol use.

SM16RMSM
05-28-2013, 12:22 PM
90% of the stations listed by Pure Gas is Marinas. There nothing in Orlando. And the only E85 station in Orlando is on Michigan and I-4. But I would like to see what happens. June 4 is the deadline I believe.

ya boy willz
05-28-2013, 12:32 PM
90% of the stations listed by Pure Gas is Marinas. There nothing in Orlando. And the only E85 station in Orlando is on Michigan and I-4. But I would like to see what happens. June 4 is the deadline I believe.

There's actually an ethanol free 93 station in Bithlo. If I remember correctly it's a Mobil along SR 50 a few minutes before you get to Orlando Speed World. As for E85 stations I've never seen one around my side of town.

I'm pretty interested in seeing what happens as well. I just hope it doesn't cause gas prices to shoot up quite a bit if it does pass.

zoominmx5
05-28-2013, 05:04 PM
If anything, gas prices should go DOWN, because they're not having to take the corn to get it refined to ethanol.(Think about it even the steps before all that). We're going out of our way without benefit, is how I see it. If you think about it, it takes more energy to turn corn into ethanol, than it does to just not have it added to our gasoline. Maybe some of you here are not familiar with chemistry. Or familiar with the chemical reaction. It takes more energy(heat) to combust ethanol than it does with the same amount of pure petroleum.

RyanG, technically you'd be incorrect saying that ethanol does not damage(even the slightest) engines that were designed to burn straight petroleum? Because I know for a fact that ethanol causes corrosion. Overall it just puts more unnecessary wear on the engine and its components.

Martin
05-29-2013, 08:34 AM
If anything, gas prices should go DOWN, because they're not having to take the corn to get it refined to ethanol.(Think about it even the steps before all that). We're going out of our way without benefit, is how I see it. If you think about it, it takes more energy to turn corn into ethanol, than it does to just not have it added to our gasoline.
Ethanol is subsidized by the government. So that means its free, right? ;)

(the wink means I know it's not free, it's paid for by those of us that pay taxes. Oh, and I believe it is immoral to burn food for fuel)

The Driver
05-29-2013, 10:30 AM
(the wink means I know it's not free, it's paid for by those of us that pay taxes. Oh, and I believe it is immoral to burn food for fuel)

The corn used to make fuel (and heck, most of the corn grown in the U.S.) is not edible. It is what they feed animals with, not fit for human consumption.

That said, corn added to fuel was always a bad idea, here in the U.S. Also, unless the car has fuel lines adapted to handle E85, or even E90, it does affect vehicles not designed for it.

Martin
05-29-2013, 11:17 AM
True, but that field could have been used to grow edible corn.

The Driver
05-29-2013, 11:29 AM
True, but that field could have been used to grow edible corn.

We could only hope!

modernbeat
05-29-2013, 06:25 PM
Depends on who the lobbyist is and what The Governor will be getting out of the deal. If it makes common sense then you can forget it. :P

When it comes to government, if it doesn't make sense, it must make money.

maharaj
05-29-2013, 08:48 PM
When it comes to government, if it doesn't make sense, it must make money.

And 11 times out of 10 it makes money for neither you or me. :)

ya boy willz
05-31-2013, 04:01 PM
Just saw Sema San post on Facebook that the bill passed. Get ready to enjoy some Ethanol free gas boys and girls!

Johnnie
06-01-2013, 12:14 PM
Curious to see how this shakes out. I would welcome ethanol-free fuel.

I<3flippyheadlights
06-01-2013, 12:49 PM
Just saw Sema San post on Facebook that the bill passed. Get ready to enjoy some Ethanol free gas boys and girls!

Ohhhh yaaaa!

Martin
11-12-2013, 11:25 AM
:(

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20131112/DAA11OTG2.html

Hyper
11-12-2013, 05:49 PM

don't blame government officials for what they do with our life. do something instead.

I found out, the truth is whether is ethanol, regular fuel or whatever, the system our government is designed and based in our financial support. that means ditch the idea of a magic free fuel, or electricity. if we human beings find a away to live our lives without co dependency from our government multiply this by millions and see what happens to our government. you will be free, we will all be free from BP fuel, banks, monopolies and everything else. So the big dogs in this country will never ever allow that, starting from our politicians they get bribe with large amount of capital to create laws and defend the interest of big companies, it is a chain effect,, the government tax these companies, they make profit on us we pay for everything. Want to learn about the subject matter more?? youtube free energy and find out about what is being hidden from us

Agent☣Orange
11-12-2013, 07:26 PM
Its up to him, but with the voting through the House and Senate, I think it will most likely become a reality soon.

Been buying Ethanol-free gas at Marathon gas stations here already. There are three in Orlando. Don't they sell Ethanol-free up there too?

blenderblast
11-12-2013, 11:57 PM
They have an ethanol free gas station in st pete. Near South Pasadena

Andy
11-13-2013, 09:51 AM
Marathon sells it as recreation fuel down here. A lot of boat/classic car people use it.