PDA

View Full Version : NA: Rear end howling

Mints
05-29-2013, 10:57 AM
So while cruising around I hear this loud howling coming from the rearend. At first I thought wheel bearings? But then I realized it only happens in 4th gear around 2400-2600 rpms and in 5th gear from 1800-2000 rpms. When I had it in the air a couple of weeks ago the housing looked in good shape with no leaks or cracks. Anybody have any advice as to what it may be?

riefdaddy
05-29-2013, 11:18 AM
You are positive you don't have the same sound in that rpm range using other gears? My first thought would have been like you - wheel bearings. Then I would check rear differential fluid levels. You might be low, or it might need changing. If you plan to replace fluid, make sure to remove the fill plug before you drain the differential.

Mints
05-29-2013, 11:25 AM
Absolutely positive, I havent really hit higher rpms (nothing more than 4k) in 1st-3rd but no howling in those gears under that rpm. Another reason I suspect the rearend is because it only does it when theres a load on it. If im in the range of when it normally howls, and i let off. It goes away considerably. I think maybe this weekend I should replace the fluid just to see if theres any change.

kung fu jesus
05-29-2013, 11:38 AM
I suspect wheel bearings or tires. Here's why...when you say is is only between this RPM and that RPM in X or Y gear, you are actually saying it is speed dependent. You might not hear it in 3rd because the engine or exhaust/intake is drowning it out. IF it was the diff, you would hear it in all the gears.

new2mx5
05-29-2013, 02:09 PM
My colleagues NA had a mud wasp clog the vent hole which pressurized the case when it warmed up, blowing the oil out the seals. He replaced the fluid, it still hows but hes been running his this way for a year and a half.

wannafbody
05-29-2013, 02:20 PM
I've got a slight whine from my rear end as well, sometimes I think it might be tires.

CMP
05-29-2013, 04:22 PM
If it's definitely coming from the differential, and not your wheel bearings (it will sound like you're sitting nearly right on top of the source of the sound) it's your pinion bearings.

Mints
05-29-2013, 05:20 PM
Im really hoping its wheel bearings! But I never been one to just throw parts at a car hoping it fixes it. So when I throw it in the air again ill see if I can recreate the situation

kung fu jesus
05-29-2013, 05:47 PM
If it is your diff, it will break the R&P soon. They really don't like to be misaligned. If you are at the diff howl stage, it will go shortly.

RuckkehrMiata
05-29-2013, 06:30 PM
I get a howl from my rear end now with poly differential bushings, it sounds like all the diff whine gets directed into the body. At first it scared be but I have grown to like it.
I don't mean a loud howl, just a distant whine.

I would listen to kung fu tho:

If it is your diff, it will break the R&P soon. They really don't like to be misaligned. If you are at the diff howl stage, it will go shortly.

Could you expand on that a bit more? For science...

kung fu jesus
05-29-2013, 06:43 PM
Wolfgang Pauli summed it up nicely.

That should keep you busy for a while.

Rogue
05-30-2013, 09:53 AM
Put it up on jack stands and use one of these to find out which bearing is singing.

wannafbody
05-30-2013, 12:17 PM
In my case it sounds like it's coming from behind my left ear when driving.

Mints
05-30-2013, 01:19 PM
Thats exactly how mine is, i can hear it really pronounced in my left ear.

CMP
05-30-2013, 01:46 PM
Wheel bearing, assuming you're in a left-hand drive vehicle.

Mints
05-30-2013, 03:43 PM
Like Rogue said, Im gonna throw it up in the air soon and play Doctor with it and see whats going on exactly

wannafbody
05-30-2013, 04:28 PM
Wouldn't a bad wheel bearing have play? I checked mine and they seem tight.

Pyr0monk3y
06-17-2013, 10:03 AM
Since you drive a '95 I would expect it to be a wheel bearing or transmission issue. The diffs in the 1.8 cars are known for being strong and reliable. Or it might not be a problem at all, some cars just whine. Most cars whine. If it is a sign of diff failure there isn't much you an do about it. The cheapest and easiest option would be to buy a new, complete differential assembly. It is pretty involved to rebuild these units. You will need patience and a couple hundred dollars worth of precision tools alone. Drive it. If it fails, there was nothing you could have done to save it.

I had a similar issue with my 1.6 differential. Eventually it failed but it didn't leave me stranded. I limped it home with two teeth of the pinion gear rattling around in the housing.

Thumper13
06-27-2013, 03:08 PM
Like Rogue said, Im gonna throw it up in the air soon and play Doctor with it and see whats going on exactly

I hope you have found the problem by now, if not let me know where your at and I'll come over and help.

*Off the track a wee bit but not by much Yata's rear end howls for a week after he sees his biker buddies.