PDA

View Full Version : Answered Thoughts on this 2002 please

Btuvi
06-11-2013, 08:01 AM
http://panamacity.craigslist.org/cto/3827524467.html

2002 Mazda Miata MX5 SE (special edition)

Great. fun car. Power windows, doors, remote, security system, Cold AC, premium sound. Rare SE ( one of only 1500 made). 119K miles, 6- speed manual trans. 25-33 mpg. Great tires, new brakes, well maintained. Factory original upgrades: special wheels, spoiler, sport suspension, Torsen limited slip differential, more. Come and drive it! Bought a new car and now have too many cars!

Although this car is advertised as SE according to carfax it is an LS. It failed emission tests in NC 3 times and finally a year later passed safety inspection. No other issues.

Thanks for your opinions and advice.

Phatmiata
06-11-2013, 08:06 AM

Although this car is advertised as SE according to carfax it is an LS. It failed emission tests in NC 3 times and finally a year later passed safety inspection. No other issues.

Thanks for your opinions and advice.

Looks like an SE to me, the SE only came with that fancy color interior/exterior color combo, along with the Yellow SE that was offered that year. I think maybe the carfax might have wrong info.

tsingson
06-11-2013, 08:06 AM
For me, if there is any discrepancies or doubts in your mind, I would skip. I don't know what the NBs go for down in Florida but $7200 is a lot for what you had found doing research.

But Phat is right, it looks like an SE with the interior but I would be curious about the failed emissions.

But that's my 2 cents.

WDBMX5
06-11-2013, 08:08 AM
lol looks like my 2002 except for the different rims and color scheme....dont see how its a 6 speed and mine is a 5 speed unless for 2002 they made both....mine is a se...other than that it looks ok

Btuvi
06-11-2013, 08:25 AM
I have noticed on several carfax reports that milage is exempt from odometer reporting. What does this mean?

Agent☣Orange
06-11-2013, 08:57 AM
Looks like an SE to me, the SE only came with that fancy color interior/exterior color combo, along with the Yellow SE that was offered that year. I think maybe the carfax might have wrong info.
Right, the Titanium is the only one with that orange interior. The Blazing Yellow of that year came with the first black leather interior for the Miata.

For me, if there is any discrepancies or doubts in your mind, I would skip. I don't know what the NBs go for down in Florida but $7200 is a lot for what you had found doing research.
But Phat is right, it looks like an SE with the interior but I would be curious about the failed emissions.
But that's my 2 cents.

Where are you guys seeing failed emissions? $7200 is actually a good price. I've seen lesser in the $12K range in FL.

lol looks like my 2002 except for the different rims and color scheme....dont see how its a 6 speed and mine is a 5 speed unless for 2002 they made both....mine is a se...other than that it looks ok

The wheels on that car are appropriate for a 2002 SE which is the only year they made them. There were four "special" Miatas that year: Titanium SE, Blazing Yellow Mica SE, Laser Blue and Internet Order Vivid Yellow. Yours isn't an SE.

Phatmiata
06-11-2013, 08:57 AM
I have noticed on several carfax reports that milage is exempt from odometer reporting. What does this mean?

that can mean one of several things;

A. new owner failed to report mileage, or chose not to report mileage discrepancy.
B. seller accidentally checks the box#2 under the odometer reading that states (in EXCESS of actual limits)
C. odometer has rolled over its limits 999,999.

http://www.damagedcars.com/VehicleTitleFiles/7/Florida%20Title%20Front.jpg

Florida DMV sucks, you really have to stay on top of any car you buy here because if you let the state do it they will report it as either non-reported, or mileage exceeds limits, as their default which makes the next buyer scratch their heads and think something is fishy with the car.

WDBMX5
06-11-2013, 09:16 AM
midnight blue mica is color of mine....thats not a SE then?? is there a place i can check with my vin number??

tsingson
06-11-2013, 09:18 AM
You can call the dealer I believe and provide them the VIN.

WDBMX5
06-11-2013, 09:26 AM
ok called mazda dealership....they told me it was a L model which i take it as LS?? and ls means what...luxury style??....hhmm where i bought it they advertised it as a SE...guess they were wrong...but anyways i still love my miata

Phatmiata
06-11-2013, 09:27 AM
midnight blue mica is color of mine....thats not a SE then?? is there a place i can check with my vin number??

While not considered an LE, or SE from Mazda your 2002 Miata paint code was rather low in production though. Paint code was: 22A Midnight Blue, and there was only 3,561 made in that color

tsingson
06-11-2013, 09:28 AM
Dealers will always make the car seem more expensive than it really is. You should see how many different colored "10AEs" are out there.

Phatmiata
06-11-2013, 09:33 AM
Dealers will always make the car seem more expensive than it really is. You should see how many different colored "10AEs" are out there.

THIS^^

I saw a 1992 silver pop up on AutoTrader, and no miles listed, I put in a call and the guy says its in "Immaculate Condition" and was told it had only 59k miles, I ask for photos, car had surface rust in the engine bay (Northern Rust belt car), and the top was weather beat from the sun, back window had that amber color change going on, and it had several door dings, and non-OEM wheels.

While he did have the correct mileage listed, it was far far away from what I would consider "Immaculate" hahhaha

tsingson
06-11-2013, 09:46 AM
THIS^^

I saw a 1992 silver pop up on AutoTrader, and no miles listed, I put in a call and the guy says its in "Immaculate Condition" and was told it had only 59k miles, I ask for photos, car had surface rust in the engine bay (Northern Rust belt car), and the top was weather beat from the sun, back window had that amber color change going on, and it had several door dings, and non-OEM wheels.

While he did have the correct mileage listed, it was far far away from what I would consider "Immaculate" hahhaha

If that is what he considers "Immaculate", I'd hate to see what he considers "Fair".

Btuvi
06-11-2013, 09:59 AM
Carfax responded to my question about exempt milage reporting: "In most states, odometer law requires that vehicles less than 10 years old report odometer readings. Vehicles over 10 years old are often exempt from this requirement and do not need to provide odometer readings.

speedypenguin
06-11-2013, 12:40 PM

Have you spoken with the actual seller? Even if you did, ask if you can take the car to get an underside inspection (get the car on a lift). I was going to purchase a salvaged title car recently, and although it looked good from the outside...getting an inspection revealed that the repair was done cheaply and an overall botched job.

Just my 2 cents, but having a proper inspection done will give you a better peace of mind. I find it puzzling that an 2002 car failed emissions 3 times and safety inspection for a whole year...

Btuvi
06-11-2013, 01:57 PM
I do plan to speak with seller. However, posting a car here first helps me ask more knowledgeable questions and sometimes points out concerns that make further interest unnecessary. These forums are especially helpful to me since I am a Miata newbie and am inclined to see sparkle alone.

speedypenguin
06-11-2013, 07:43 PM
I do plan to speak with seller. However, posting a car here first helps me ask more knowledgeable questions and sometimes points out concerns that make further interest unnecessary. These forums are especially helpful to me since I am a Miata newbie and am inclined to see sparkle alone.

Yup, you are right. When I was looking around for my NA, I browsed the internet for awhile reading various threads on Miata specific forums. MR is a great forum. :)

Best of luck with your Miata search!

Btuvi
06-12-2013, 06:27 AM
Thoughts on this, please.

http://hattiesburg.craigslist.org/cto/3859452826.html

kung fu jesus
06-12-2013, 07:10 AM
Nice price, low mileage, wondering why it was repainted.

Phatmiata
06-12-2013, 07:33 AM
Have you driven both NA and NB models before? The reason I ask is that there is a slight difference in the feeling of the car. Most think they drive the same, but since driving NA's for many years I can tell you that they drive different to me.

97 Mazda Miata - (Sumrall)

http://hattiesburg.craigslist.org/cto/3859452826.html

I have for sale, a newly painted 97 Mazda Miata M Edition. The car has 115,*** miles on it, great on gas, and is fun to drive. It has ice cold air, power mirrors, power windows, leather seats with speakers in the headrest, and chrome wheels.

Btuvi
06-12-2013, 02:52 PM
How different?

speedypenguin
06-12-2013, 03:08 PM
How different?

I've only been a passenger in an NB, but as an NA owner, the NB feels more "refined". (I put refined in quotes because it still is a Miata, and still isn't really refined compared with "normal" cars). The NA is a more raw, and dare I say, more pure driving experience, because it is a more simple and basic car. Comparing the two, the NB is the newer car so it's better engineered and more solid when stock compared with an NA, but there are numerous chassis stiffening offerings on the market to bring the NA closer to the NB in terms of structural rigidity.

Btuvi
06-12-2013, 03:12 PM
Talked to guy who owns car. Story is that niece let the car run out of oil and burnt up engine. Panicked when it happened and it rolled down hill and bumper was damaged when it rolled into sign. He bought it from her, replaced old engine with used one with 78000 miles, and since clear coat was flaking painted entire car. Friend borrowed it past couple of days and it came back with rip in top. Lowered price from $3800 to $3500.

How much does new top cost?