PDA

View Full Version : Answered Feedback on this '91

Shmulkey
06-16-2013, 12:58 PM
I'm a Miata newbie and am looking for an inexpensive, fun daily driver. Not interested in racing. Any feedback on this '91? I don't have a feel for market prices or things to look out for; any pointers on same would be appreciated.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/3851183930.html

91 MAZDA MIATA - $6800 (fremont / union city / newark)

$6800 Firm price
Miata mx-5 N/A
Clean title (in hand)
British Racing green color (Excellent condition)
Tan interior with Nardi shift and brake handle (Excellent condition)
58,000 original miles!

Jvc media player with Polk audio speakers (Bluetooth and hands free)

Jackson Racing Supercharger (M45) Smog legal
Upgraded Clutch and Flywheel
Hard Dog Double Diagonal Roll Bar
Stock Daisy rims Powder coated
Front Lip Spoiler by TougeRun
Magna Flow Exhaust

MATCHING HARD TOP

The Driver
06-16-2013, 01:38 PM
^ Car looks good. As to whether the modifications to this car are worth the money, that is up to you. I don't know a lot about Superchargers, but I believe that the M45 is no longer supported, and the M62 is all the rage now.

The Hard Dog rollbar is a high quality product, but most roll bars leave a "permanent" mark. The rims look bad, but that is easily fixable with newer rims, or other "daisies".

I'd say the car looks good, the miles are somewhat low, and the price is fair.

I<3flippyheadlights
06-16-2013, 03:44 PM
Awesome price. Going off what the driver said here are some of the pros

First off, 1991 BRG with 58k miles is sweet. You gotta worry about the Short nose crank on the earlier Miatas but If you do the Timing belt change right, it shouldn't be a problem
Second, a super charger is money. While they have gotten rid of the M45 and replaced it with the M62, the M45 was made for the 1.6l engine. It might be an old Sebring charger but they are still popular (one is going on my car) they sell from $1000-$1500 depending on what comes with it.
Third, a "low" milage miata is gonna cost some money. It is good that it has some good modifications

What to look out for

What kind of shocks are on the car? If they are stock, they will need to be swapped.
Those stock wheels aren't doing it. They probably can't grip with the supercharger
What kind of fuel control/timing control is the person using on the car? If they can't tell you, then pass on by. Buying a forced induction car from someone that doesn't know what they have is a bad idea
Any type of gauges anywhere? You need a wideband and boost gauge when working with stuff like that
Did they do the water pump and timing belt change? At 60k is when you should start thinking about it (or just do it)

Over all, if the thing doesn't rust, the person knows what is going on with it, and you feel good when driving it. Buy it. It is a good deal. Not the best, but good.

atank
08-21-2013, 06:31 PM
Thank You for using MR.net the the CAS!

Phatmiata
08-21-2013, 06:59 PM
We need a used car buyers guide, maybe we can get "the Driver" or someone else experienced to type one up?

I would look under the car, check for rust, or frame damages, but other than that it looks like a great project car. The price really depends on your area, what city/state are you located in? Here in Florida most Miatas are high mileage (driven all year) but we don't see much on the side of rust (unless the car is parked outside near the ocean)