PDA

View Full Version : Coolant re route for my Miata

BMXmiata
06-20-2013, 03:26 AM
i was on bell engineering and noticed that have a "track only" coolant re-route that is $150 less and just runs through heater core lines. can this really only be used on the track???

Phatmiata
06-20-2013, 08:29 AM
pretty sure that is just a "Disclaimer" so that they don't get sued.

* Disclaimer - The contents of this website are for informational purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice, diagnosis, or application. MazdaRoadster.net is not responsible or liable for any diagnosis made by a user based on the content of its website. Always seek the advice of your mechanic or other qualified automotive service provider with any questions you may have regarding a performance modification. MazdaRoadster.net is not liable for the contents of any external internet sites listed herein, nor does it endorse any commercial product or service mentioned or advised on any of the sites.

revlimiter
06-20-2013, 08:34 PM
Actually, they have a track only setup and a more street friendly setup. The Track one routes the return lines so that it's nearly impossible to come up to temperature on the street. It basically bypasses the thermostat in a huge way and dumps coolant back through the heater return very quickly. There's a lot of info on Miataturbo.

chiefmg
06-21-2013, 03:24 PM
As Adam said the BEGI track reroute is not recommended for the street. It's fairly simple to piece together your own parts a lot cheaper than buying one of the kits around. I currently am using the BEGi spacer at the rear with a Kia Sephia cover, a BEGi blockoff plate on the stock thermostat housing, and a hose from a Tahoe (IIRC) to connect the rear outlet to the front. You will have to extend the wires for the temp sensor when using the BEGi spacer, no big deal if you can solder. When I get home I will be changing out the spacer for a different one made by someone on another forum, it's one of his first attempts so a little cosmetically challenged. Only cost me $28 so I can live with it! The benefit of that one is that I won't have to squeeze my hand in the back of the engine to replace the thermostat.

I found the following page while I was searching to try and decide exactly how I wanted to run my reroute: http://www.boostedmiata.com/gallery2/v/Miata/technical_001/reroute/ I just tried it and it didn't work for me, however we have to deal with filters on our Internet connection now that we didn't have to in the past. It might work for you.