PDA

View Full Version : G-wing installation question (used G-Wing for Miata) how to re-install

mini_fd
06-25-2013, 09:06 AM
My gwing comes in today and im going to install it but what worries me is that if i use a double sided tape i have from auto zone that it wont hold on when i go highway speeds. What can i do to make that sucker stick?

Phatmiata
06-25-2013, 09:30 AM
Did you get it from Project-G? I thought their kits came with 3M VHB double-side tape?

mini_fd
06-25-2013, 09:39 AM
Im a baller on a budget so i got used because one it was such a great deal that i got that i would be dumb not to take it. So i wanted your opinions what i should use and where i can go buy it.

Phatmiata
06-25-2013, 09:55 AM
I would recommend 3M VHB tape, we have sold some here at my office in the past, its insanely strong, much better than the stuff you will find at the auto parts store. In some applications they have to use this instead of a mechanical fastner; rivets, bolts, screws, nails, etc. Maybe Project-G can sell you 3 feet or whatever you need? Normally you can only buy this stuff on a 108' roll that is like $100. But it is that good!

I might have some here laying around at the shop, I would need to check?

mini_fd
06-25-2013, 10:25 AM
Sounds like a plan thanks. I cant wait

DailyDriven
06-25-2013, 11:59 AM
I've used auto zone 3M stage 2 automotive double sided tape for a year for my gwing and it held just fine under local and highway speeds. Until one night I decided I hated how it looks on the car and I ripped it off lol.

Phatmiata
06-25-2013, 12:57 PM
I've used auto zone 3M stage 2 automotive double sided tape for a year for my gwing and it held just fine under local and highway speeds. Until one night I decided I hated how it looks on the car and it ripped it off lol.

yeah, I think most of the 3M stuff will work, its the off brand stuff i worry about

jhuckstead
06-25-2013, 01:22 PM
I used 3M adhesive weather strip sealant on my spoiler... real solid...

JonB
06-25-2013, 01:37 PM
It's all laid out here in our Instructions page. http://projectgla.com/instructions/gwing_nai.html The type of 3M tape, adhesion promoter, as well as the layout of how the tape should be applied to the G-Wing. We do carry re-application kits, but if you live in Melbourne as in Australia, it may be more cost effective to pick up the items yourself, lol. But if you live in Melbourne, FL, then you can always go to Randy who is generous and awesome, or you can always give me a call at (909) 20-MIATA if you have any other questions.

mini_fd
06-25-2013, 02:29 PM
Melbourne florida thank god. Randy can you and i work something out? Pm me when maybe a meet is happening in your neck of the woods or maybe we can use the mailing system. Im excited to have it on the car since there arent alot of project g taste out here. Glad to represent and ill be considering the sideskirts the make too. That will be soon. Tha ks for your help.

maharaj
06-25-2013, 03:41 PM
My gwing comes in today and im going to install it but what worries me is that if i use a double sided tape i have from auto zone that it wont hold on when i go highway speeds. What can i do to make that sucker stick?

Make sure that the area(s) that you will be installing the tape is SUPER clean.

mini_fd
06-25-2013, 05:24 PM
Okay. I did a mock setup without installation and it looks so nice

Phatmiata
06-26-2013, 09:12 AM
okay looks like if you read the instructions JonB provided Project-G is using;

3MŽ - Automotive Attachment Tape Part # 6382

I just checked in the the shop, the stuff I have here is sample box of 3MŽ - Acrylic Foam Tape # 4618, and is too wide at 1"x 1 yard

But if you have an O'reilly Auto Parts near you they should have it available.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MMM0/06382.oap?pt=N0060

However it's probably better to check with Project-G for a (re-application kit) so that you don't have to buy a full roll (20 Yards) of this stuff, as it is VERY expensive!

mini_fd
06-26-2013, 09:47 AM
I'll talk with them