PDA

View Full Version : I Got Hit the Other Day by a Hit and Run

RoadsterTech
06-26-2013, 09:11 PM
The other day as I was turning right on to a side street I got hit from behind.

I was turning right off of a 4 lane street onto a 2 lane road with an entrance median. About 1/4 way through the turn I got clobbered.
The impact was hard enough that it knocked my glasses off. There is a new ding on my watch. Looks like the glasses flew off hit my watch and lodged between my seat and the transmission tunnel. Of course my head flew back and bonked the roll bar. I am glad for the little bit of padding that was on there. No concussion, just a big bump. Anyway all I can say is I really think auto crossing helped here along with some divine intervention. I got lunched forward while just starting the turn and was able to keep control and keep the car from hitting a median full of concrete buttresses for signs. Good news was I still had my autocross rubber on and I was able to just keep the car in a tight 180 deg spin. Sad news is it was my race rubber that is probably flat spotted.
After the spin I looked up and there was no second car! I got out of the car and everyone asked what happened. No one saw the accident. Just me spinning and the other car leaving. One guy saw it followed the car and got his number. Highway Patrol said it belonged to a person in fort Myers that was born in 1939. The guy saw a young man driving. So hopefully it was he grand son and not that the car was stolen.
Since I hit my head the EMT's made me take a ride in an Ambulance. The worst part was the drive in the ambulance. They had me strapped onto a hard gurney and my sore head kept clunking down on the board every bump that the ambulance hit.
After a long wait in the ER for results. Back and neck strain and a hematoma and contusion aka "bump" on my head.
Here is the neat thing the guy that hit me will be charge with a Felony since I had to go to ER

Here are some shots.

http://rabrillhart.smugmug.com/Other/miata/i-mHt7Nkw/2/M/CA_06251315382289-M.jpg

http://rabrillhart.smugmug.com/Other/miata/i-H2Z8845/0/M/CA_06251315392836-M.jpg

http://rabrillhart.smugmug.com/Other/miata/i-8crrFvQ/1/M/CA_06251315412588-M.jpg

http://rabrillhart.smugmug.com/Other/miata/i-VvWH6rT/0/M/CA_06251315430980-M.jpg

I took the car to Allstate today and they were very nice about the car...
Since I have done over $7,000 to the car recently they are taking that into account and are trying hard not to total it.
I will let you know how things go.

Agent☣Orange
06-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Please update us when they nab that piece of human debris. I want to see his booking photo and read the charges.

atank
06-26-2013, 09:34 PM
Good thing you had the padding!!!!!! Hope it works out in your favor............

Grip Driver
06-26-2013, 10:06 PM
Glad to hear you are ok, sucks about the car, hope they get the perp.

wannafbody
06-26-2013, 11:10 PM
Good luck dealing with the insurance company.

The Driver
06-26-2013, 11:32 PM
Wow, sorry to hear about this!

mini_fd
06-27-2013, 08:21 AM
Inconsiderate gapping assholes. I had someone hit my car with their door and left a dent few months in after a paintjob in a parking lot. I havent got around to getting it fixed but i feel your pain when i pleaded my car not to get totaled last february when i got.hit.in the fender by a mustang. They probably wont but do you have insurance on your aftermarket parts? I do.

tsingson
06-27-2013, 09:02 AM
Sorry to hear Rick. Glad that you are ok. How many fingers am I holding up? Guess I will be investing in some rollbar padding as well.

Martin
06-27-2013, 09:09 AM
Oh, no!

Phatmiata
06-27-2013, 09:25 AM
Glad you are okay Rick! Sorry about the car, don't let the insurance company screw you, let me know if you need any help!

SM16RMSM
06-27-2013, 10:44 AM
DDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.

Glad to see your Ok. Hope the guy goes to jail for this. At least a year. The damages doesn't look too bad though but the kink in the quarter panel is propally going to total it. My 97 was hit hard and it bowed the trunk up, got both taillights, and the rear facial panel. The MSM also was hit hard but in a weak spot, missed the entire bumper support.

I heard good things about Allstate claims and they are really good and getting people back on the road, unlike Statefarm who got the color of my MSM wrong and only wrote a 1k check for 4k of damage. I hope everything work out in the end. Also, if you need a quarter panel skin, I have a junk 94 you can get it.

RoadsterTech
06-27-2013, 11:40 AM
Thanks guys!
I'm starting to feel the bump a bit... Trying to get back to engineering and the fine print and mental gymnastics are causing some eyestrain... I hear that is common with mild concussion. So I have a Dr. apt to follow up. Re the car So far so good... Allstate came back with over $3K to fix the car... The adjuster said the computer spit out that it should be totaled but he is going to work some magic a bit to try to keep things from being totaled. Looks like a second 1.5 hour visit to go over receipts and such to truly determine the value of the car. So far Allstate has been great to deal with but now it is a waiting game to see what comes out in the wash.
I'm glad its Mariner Blue... that should help here.

atank
06-27-2013, 11:48 AM
Well it should be an easy fix if they don't total it, get better!

Agent☣Orange
06-27-2013, 02:24 PM
Make sure your doctor appointment is within two weeks of the accident although that may not apply if you were taken to the hospital from the scene.

Thumper13
06-27-2013, 02:59 PM
First,I'm glad you're ok

Second.........don't forget Thumper's Collection Agency.......we are sponsored by Louisville slugger and our twins Smith and Wesson. We guarantee satisfaction one way or another.

Martin
07-03-2013, 08:08 AM
Any updates? Your head and/or the car...

(mostly interested in the car, though :teehee: )

tsingson
07-03-2013, 09:40 AM
Yeah Rick. How's the noggin doing?