PDA

View Full Version : Soft top install? PIA or Take it on?

Tekel
01-05-2012, 11:13 AM
So my soft top was slashed and will need replacing. How much of a PIA is it to install a top on a frame? Upholstery shops quoted me $550 just for install. Don't even want to mention what rape of a price they were charging for a new top. So I'm trying to decide if I should buy a top already installed on a frame or just take it all on myself. Who has tackled installing a new soft top? How long should I expect it to take having never done one myself?

Tekel
01-05-2012, 11:49 AM
ADMIN PLEASE MOVE THIS TO THE TOPS SECTION, completely: overlooked that one... :hopelessness

grueinthebox
01-05-2012, 03:53 PM
First time, by yourself, I'd budget most of a day for it. It's not terribly hard if you read up on the process beforehand, take your time and use finesse. Certainly not a job I'd look forward to, but for $550 you bet your ass I'd do it again.

bullit09
01-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Really not that hard to do just time consuming I say go for it!

adamvanxxx
01-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Shit for 550 you could possibly find a HT why haven't you just looked for a HT?

Tekel
01-05-2012, 07:12 PM
Shit for 550 you could possibly find a HT why haven't you just looked for a HT?

Already have one, its only on the car in the winter. I bought the car because its a convertible.

WASABI
01-05-2012, 07:24 PM
I bought the car because its a convertible.

It is? I was wondering why I always got wet on rainy days.

The soft top is not that hard to do, like everyone said, it's time consuming. LOTS of steps, but, if you take your time, and follow a good set of instructions, after about 5 hours, you will be one proud SOB.

-Good luck,

Jim

adamvanxxx
01-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Already have one, its only on the car in the winter. I bought the car because its a convertible.

Oh you are one of THOSE guys. :p

urban
01-05-2012, 08:33 PM
I did it once.
wont do it again . but why not . everyone should go through that at least once

Flyineunos
01-05-2012, 09:00 PM
I've done it about 8 times. Really not that bad. Just make sure before you install the new top, you set it outside in the sun. It will be better to handle and stretch during install.

I do offer a service if you are local to me.

f86sabjf
01-06-2012, 12:38 PM
If you have full coverage insurance it may be replaced for your deductible if you got a police report.

Tekel
01-06-2012, 03:17 PM
If you have full coverage insurance it may be replaced for your deductible if you got a police report.

Thats a negative ghost rider.

ctrench
01-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Ive done it also, its not too hard just takes patience, and most of your day... save yourself the money and go for it.

revlimiter
01-08-2012, 12:30 PM
I did a Robbins cloth top on my NB. Not hard. There were a few tricky spots, but it wasn't hard work at all.

http://revlimiter.net/blog/2011/07/robbins-cloth-top-install/

I'd do it again.

f86sabjf
01-08-2012, 02:53 PM
well if your not up for the full challenge perhaps talk to the guys at Planetmiata one of the sponsors here. They will sell you a top mounted on the frame which takes a whole bunch of the guess work out of the whole thing. Honestly if they had this when i replace my top I would have gotten it from them just for the ease of install.

CMP
01-08-2012, 06:09 PM
Last winter I took off my ratty vinyl top and installed a new canvas top. I removed the entire frame and brought it inside (car was garage kept) and did it all on my living room floor. It's not hard, just time-consuming. I followed the instructions on m.net garage I think. The hardest part is putting the frame back on and stretching out the new top to latch it down for the first time. I had to lay on my own roof to do this.

Mexican_Guy
01-09-2012, 12:59 AM
i got my car last january, and brand new, the top its already broken, not even 1 year old... fuck... quality sucks in the NC

Grumpy
01-10-2012, 12:47 PM
??? No problems with my NC top, What happened? I'm not real gentle with mine, just unclip and throw it back...

Tekel
01-16-2012, 09:12 AM
I guess I'm going to try and tackle this in the coming months. :?

jester911
01-16-2012, 09:21 AM
I helped a friend with his and neither of us had done it before. We did it in a several hours over a weekend. I definitely see it being easier with an extra pair of hands. I would have no problem doing it again.

NAautoxer
01-16-2012, 10:17 AM
not bad in the least, especially if you don't have a roll bar. time consuming, yes, but every miata owner should do it once. i've done it like 3 or 4 times..

Tekel
01-16-2012, 10:23 AM
not bad in the least, especially if you don't have a roll bar. time consuming, yes, but every miata owner should do it once. i've done it like 3 or 4 times..

I have a rollbar :|

Doward
01-16-2012, 10:36 AM
I have a rollbar :|

Thats makes it a little more tricky to pull the frame out, but not too bad. It just gets in the way.
Go for it, take pictures, throw a few back and enjoy it :p

joe morreale
01-18-2012, 08:00 AM
I would recommend doing yourself. Recruit a friend. Take all day and do it right. You'll have the knowledge and pleasure of tackling such a job, which is not hard, just time and knee consuming. Plus you know it was done right. Then when one of your friends needs a hand you'll be a pro at it.

wannafbody
01-24-2012, 11:41 PM
Depending on the use of the car, maybe the Project G Bikini Top would be an easier install since you have the hardtop.

Tekel
01-26-2012, 09:42 AM
Depending on the use of the car, maybe the Project G Bikini Top would be an easier install since you have the hardtop.

Unfortunately with my location and uses, the g-string would have be with a soft top. This car is a DD and I love the ability to put the top up and down depending on weather.

GI Jo
02-03-2012, 01:58 PM
do it urself and save all that money. its actually much easier than u'd think. ive done 3 so far. the local shop wanted 350 to install it....wtf??.. so i did it myself.
oh, if u have a roll bar, its more of a pita. if not, its really simple.
good luck

jesseshoots
02-12-2012, 10:44 PM
I took mine out a few times before finally selling it since I got a hardtop. Its really easy and can be done in all of a few hours!

Neocataboi
02-13-2012, 12:35 AM
do it urself and save all that money. its actually much easier than u'd think. ive done 3 so far. the local shop wanted 350 to install it....wtf??.. so i did it myself.
oh, if u have a roll bar, its more of a pita. if not, its really simple.
good luck

O'Rly?! i have mine to do. what kind of time frame should i be looking at? and should it do it at your place? ;-)

morr
02-13-2012, 09:04 AM
I glanced over the instructions on M.net and with the help of a friend (with no prior experience with Miatas) managed to get it done in a few hours. That was taking our time though...

It's one of those things that seems intimidating at first, but once you do it you'll be kicking yourself for not doing it sooner.

darkgreyNA
02-28-2012, 10:46 PM
I just did mine. Took me just over 2 hours. Removed the frame from the car and brought it inside.......

Slider
03-01-2012, 11:07 AM
It's not hard it's just tedious, I say do it yourself if you have the time.