PDA

View Full Version : Shift knob weight?

Pyr0monk3y
07-05-2013, 03:54 PM
When I bought my car it had a really lightweight aftermarket shift knob on it. I never really liked it. I couldn't really tell what it was but something about it just didn't feel right. This past weekend I bought a stock knob to see if I liked that more.

My first impression was the weight of that sucker. I put it on a scale when I got home, it's 200 grams! After driving with it all week I really like it over the aftermarket knob, it's not perfect though. I like the smoothness but the knob is also kind of numb. I can't really feel what I'm doing like I could before.

This got me wondering so I made this last night.

http://i.imgur.com/IbQyrAY.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/is0gJCw.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4IzvfC4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ri7KVlL.jpg

It weighs 400 grams and shifts even smoother than the stock knob. But, since it's metal on metal, you can still feel what you're doing.

I'm a little worried about the weight though. Are there any issues that can develop from using such a heavy shift knob?

How much does your shift knob weigh? Do you like it, or would you rather it be lighter or heavier?

I underestimated how nice it is to have a decent knob, It makes since now though. If you have to use it 30 times anytime you go somewhere, it better be a pleasant experience.

Agent☣Orange
07-05-2013, 04:02 PM
I have a TWM Big Type R which is 600g and love it, especially its rounded top that it's height adjustable. Miata shifters sit on pins so the weight of a knob isn't going to affect the tranny but might entice some to speed shift faster than the synchros can handle.

I guess some people would complain that a metal knob can get too hot or too cold to touch but I've never been bothered by that.

horribleR
07-05-2013, 04:31 PM
that shift knob is gigante.

I think I prefer 300g.

Dandy
07-05-2013, 04:40 PM
dayymn, Yata. That's a big one. TWM M1 Abrams here - 460 grams. Pyr0, you are definitely wise beyond your years.

BoBo
07-05-2013, 05:55 PM
+1 to the Op, I prefer shift knobs that have some kind of weight. The oem is not bad, but I want to try the mazdaspeed shift knob.

ScratchNSniff
07-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Need to weigh a few of mine...gotta find a scale that doesn't weigh people though...lol...

Pyr0monk3y
07-05-2013, 06:35 PM
I have a TWM Big Type R which is 600g and love it, especially its rounded top that it's height adjustable. Miata shifters sit on pins so the weight of a knob isn't going to affect the tranny but might entice some to speed shift faster than the synchros can handle.

I guess some people would complain that a metal knob can get too hot or too cold to touch but I've never been bothered by that.

That's a serious knob right there.

dayymn, Yata. That's a big one. TWM M1 Abrams here - 460 grams. Pyr0, you are definitely wise beyond your years.

Thanks, but you give me too much credit. For every success I post here there's a couple other projects that don't go so well.

WDBMX5
07-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Curious can u make me one but I'd like it a tad shorter? Is that possible also how much?also possible to do design on the side??

Pyr0monk3y
07-05-2013, 08:03 PM
Curious can u make me one but I'd like it a tad shorter? Is that possible also how much?also possible to do design on the side??

PM'd

Edit: not interested in making knobs for anyone but if you would like information on how you can make your own or where you can buy a similar knob PM me.

Agent☣Orange
07-08-2013, 10:42 PM
It's not a question about forum placement but rather the offer to mass produce knobs to sell that raises a red flag. It would be great if you start cranking these out but consider a junior sponsorship in that case.

Pyr0monk3y
07-09-2013, 11:40 AM
I didn't offer to mass produce knobs, in fact I really, really don't want to do that. I offered to receive PMs about custom shift knobs. I apologize if I implied that I was interested in starting a business. I'm not in the shift knob making business therefor I would rather manage inquiries privately, ideally off the forum to avoid issues like this.