PDA

View Full Version : G-String installation?

maharaj
07-06-2013, 12:51 PM
So I decided to get in on that group buy a little late and get a G-string from Project-G. Steve was kind enough to work with me and include me in the group buy since I just missed the cut off date. :mrgreen: Well, my rollbar is this:

Since I don't have the 'standard' bar that goes horizontally from end to end I am having difficulty installing the top. I sent pictures to the guys at Project-G and was informed that the top would still work but based on all of the online video's I am not seeing anything remotely like mine. Does anyone have any experience with this?

tsingson
07-06-2013, 12:58 PM
Are you using the OEM hardtop latches or aftermarket hardtop braces?

maharaj
07-06-2013, 01:03 PM
Are you using the OEM hardtop latches or aftermarket hardtop braces?

OEM latches. The front bow lines up perfectly and closes, but it is the center brace piece that I am having an issue with.

tsingson
07-06-2013, 01:35 PM
I am seeing with your style rollbar that you may have to use hardtop braces to keep the front bow tight against the windshield area. That would eliminate the need for the center brace. Now as far as trying to use a center brace with your rollbar, I am not too sure.

maharaj
07-06-2013, 01:38 PM
Okay, after reviewing the youtube video about the installation and some emails, I'm not crazy. The center brace wasn't cut to fit in the front bow and it looks like I am also missing/needing a bikini bar. Guys at Project-G have been pretty nice so far so I'm sure we'll get it fixed and I can upload some pics. :)

maharaj
07-06-2013, 01:40 PM
I am seeing with your style rollbar that you may have to use hardtop braces to keep the front bow tight against the windshield area. That would eliminate the need for the center brace. Now as far as trying to use a center brace with your rollbar, I am not too sure.

Hmmm. I thought the center brace was required. They did send me one, it just wasn't cut. Uhf. :cry:

tsingson
07-06-2013, 01:41 PM
With your roll bar, would the hoops be able to keep the bikini top up just resting on the tops of the hoops?

Cxmoney
07-06-2013, 01:42 PM
I have the bikini bar because I have the bossfrog double hoop. it is easy to install and awesome.

tsingson
07-06-2013, 01:42 PM
I believe the center brace is used to keep pressure on the front bow and also to secure the top from ballooning when driving. But if you have the hardtop braces, that will keep the front bow from falling back.

tsingson
07-06-2013, 01:43 PM
CX, with your bikini bar, do you use the center brace as well?

maharaj
07-06-2013, 01:48 PM
I guess that I am missing the bikini bar? Any pics CX? I checked the Project-G website and didn't see any pics of it nor an install on a double hoop rollbar.

tsingson
07-06-2013, 01:50 PM
I have seen the bikini bar on a Miata without a roll bar but haven't seen it on the double hoop.

Cxmoney
07-06-2013, 10:54 PM
Yes I use the center brace. That's what hold the top up. The center brace goes into the bow and against the bikini bar. The bikini bar is the main part for the brace.

Cxmoney
07-06-2013, 10:56 PM

Jumbosrule
07-22-2013, 03:09 PM
A little late to the convo but I happen to have that same roll bar ( hard dog extreme) as well as a g-string.

I did find a solution that works but I'm trying to improve on it. Instead of the bikini bar, I made a cross brace that attaches to the top of the extreme. Then the center g-string brace attaches to that.

It wasn't quite as snug as I wanted it because my cross beam is made from PVC and flexes a little.

Jumbosrule
09-02-2013, 05:16 PM
Yesterday I finally finished up the G string install with the hard dog extreme roll bar. Unfortunately my final solution does not use the roll bar at all, but it attaches to a custom harness bar I have installed. For whatever they are worth, here are a couple of photos.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/jumbosrule/Miata%20exterior%20shots/null_zps6c8bf4f3.jpg~original (http://s425.photobucket.com/user/jumbosrule/media/Miata%20exterior%20shots/null_zps6c8bf4f3.jpg.html)

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/jumbosrule/Miata%20exterior%20shots/null_zps1cbafdba.jpg~original (http://s425.photobucket.com/user/jumbosrule/media/Miata%20exterior%20shots/null_zps1cbafdba.jpg.html)

I swapped in some turnbuckles in place of the webbing adjusters. They feel very solid, plus they were about two bucks each at Lowes. I painted the centers black so they blend in better.

Gene Rodriguez
09-02-2013, 05:42 PM
Lol you know they have one for these types of rollbars right?

Jumbosrule
09-02-2013, 08:27 PM
Lol you know they have one for these types of rollbars right?

No they dont, unless you are talking about the stand alone bikini bar? That is really meant for cars with no roll bar in my opinion; it was not designed specifically for the HD Extreme. I wanted a more elegant solution.

Ive been over to Project G just to talk about this solution, which fits to the center brace and onto the harness bar with no tools needed for install. It also cost me a total of $22 including the paint, as all I needed were two off the shelf PVC fittings, one of which was modified with two cuts. This allows me to remove the G string and drop on the hard top without first having to remove and store the extra bar and mounting hardware.

Risingsun124
09-02-2013, 10:43 PM
As they say, there's more than one way to skin a cat. I can't wait to see your solution in person Jumbosrule. I'm always interested in different approaches to the same issue.

To clarify, we designed the Bikini Bar to be used without a roll bar OR for those with a double-hoop style roll bar. The later was actually the original reason we came up with this solution. Being able to use it as a stand-alone solution was really just an added bonus.

Here's a couple pics of the G-String with a Bikini Bar solution:

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g337/ProjectGarage2010/Project%20G%20G%20String%20Customers/BossFrogG-String_zps5a503be5.jpg (http://s1096.photobucket.com/user/ProjectGarage2010/media/Project%20G%20G%20String%20Customers/BossFrogG-String_zps5a503be5.jpg.html)

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g337/ProjectGarage2010/PGWhiteExtremeAutofest_zpsa539b234.jpg (http://s1096.photobucket.com/user/ProjectGarage2010/media/PGWhiteExtremeAutofest_zpsa539b234.jpg.html)

Gene Rodriguez
09-03-2013, 12:03 AM
No they dont, unless you are talking about the stand alone bikini bar? That is really meant for cars with no roll bar in my opinion; it was not designed specifically for the HD Extreme. I wanted a more elegant solution.

Ive been over to Project G just to talk about this solution, which fits to the center brace and onto the harness bar with no tools needed for install. It also cost me a total of $22 including the paint, as all I needed were two off the shelf PVC fittings, one of which was modified with two cuts. This allows me to remove the G string and drop on the hard top without first having to remove and store the extra bar and mounting hardware.

yeah projects Gs standalone kit they were made for your type of rollbars or none at all. Its a lot cleaner in my opinion.

tsingson
09-03-2013, 06:54 AM
I kinda like it. Any pictures without the G-String installed?

jnshk
09-03-2013, 11:34 PM
The turnbuckles are a nice touch, Brad! I might have to copy your style a bit on that one.

Risingsun124
09-04-2013, 05:57 PM
I kinda like it. Any pictures without the G-String installed?

We don't have any at the moment. We are in the process of a slight redesign of our Bikini Bar so once that is finished pics will follow. However, for those who are interested, we still have some of our original Bikini Bars.

Jumbosrule
09-04-2013, 09:55 PM
The turnbuckles are a nice touch, Brad! I might have to copy your style a bit on that one.

I actually removed the plastic adjusters and cut the webbing, then sewed it together around the D ring. I set the webbing length to just reach the middle setting of the turnbuckle.

If you use a wrench on the turnbuckles you can pull the bow off the latches. If you use brackets instead of latches I would think you could rip the top but you would have to be trying to do that. It really allows you to fine tune the tension more easily than the friction buckles.