PDA

View Full Version : Front upper ball joint replacement

Lawnmowermann
07-18-2013, 08:22 PM
Folks,

The front upper ball joints on my car are shot and need replacing. From what I understand, these are part of the upper control arm and cannot be replaced separately. I'm looking for the pro's and cons of replacement.

The car is a 1994 M series that is at the start of an LS V8 rebuild so I want the replacement to be OEM or better.

Any advice?

Lawrence

WASABI
07-18-2013, 09:19 PM
How do you know they need to be replaced? If the boot is ripped, you can repack & replace the boot.

-Jim

Pyr0monk3y
07-18-2013, 10:47 PM
Well, if you're going to replace the whole control arm I would go ahead and get the V8 roadsters tubular ones. They aren't that much more than new, stock control arms. If you're cheap like me though, you'll just pick up used ones from a junkyard or where ever.

Like wasabi said, boots are replaceable. It's very rare for upper ball joints to wear out on these cars since they aren't under much load. Even with torn boots they will still last a while. My boots were torn when I bought the car and it took me a year to get around to replacing them, even then the joints had zero play.

kung fu jesus
07-19-2013, 06:29 AM
^that.

SM16RMSM
07-19-2013, 07:21 AM
^^^^ What he said, if there is no play, just repack, replace boot, and go. :burnout: