PDA

View Full Version : Help! Stuck screw - need tips and some motivation.

Dandy
07-26-2013, 12:17 PM
I was getting ready to install some Rev Limiter and Retro-Modded goodness when I ran into the stuck screw fail. The stuck screw is underneath the dash where the left-center eyeball vent is located. It's a phillips head screw. I don't know what it is fastening into . . . whether it is plastic, metal, etc. It's beginning to strip and it really has me frustrated.

I need some advice, tips, hints and a little motivation. I need to get this very simple small project done so I can get out for a drive. I haven't had the car out for a few weeks since I ran into the problem and I'm feeling the need for a run.

Martin
07-26-2013, 12:26 PM
You can try this trick for the stripped head:

http://cdn.followpics.com/show/112238215684197364_xKJprUNR_c.jpg

atank
07-26-2013, 12:29 PM
First try a different screw driver, maybe one that fits better, then if that fails use a screw extractor. The right tool for the job, assuming the screw head is worn but intact, its called a "screw extractor". This is essentially a screwdriver or screwdriver bit which has strong, rough metal threads right on the tip. These are intended to burrow into the metal of the screw head and get stuck there so you can put some torque on it.

tsingson
07-26-2013, 12:44 PM
How well does that work Martin?

Martin
07-26-2013, 01:35 PM
Not as well as a real screw extractor. But if the head is a little stripped and the screw is not too stuck it works okay. I only tried it once after seeing that tip online. Did the trick for me.

tsingson
07-26-2013, 01:55 PM
Cool. I think I will be keeping some rubber bands in my tool box now.