PDA

View Full Version : RacingBeat springs for 96 miata thumbs down

BoBo
07-28-2013, 09:23 AM
I should have read the reviews on this before buying it, I made a mistake. I bought these a while back and this is by far the worst springs I ever experienced. First of all, the RB springs does not have enough spring rate for the drop. My tires would rub on the fender during not so fast cornering. I was afraid to even drive hard on these springs. My tires would even hit the fender liner if there was any kind of pothole on the road. Racing-Beat has good quality parts but not when it comes to the springs. I sold it for a really low price to some guy who wanted it real bad.

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu129/MR2SW21/581494_10152674754815554_1719739322_n_zps9ccca66b. jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/MR2SW21/media/581494_10152674754815554_1719739322_n_zps9ccca66b. jpg.html)

cbaylis77
07-28-2013, 10:13 PM
Sorry about your bad experience.
Thanks for the review though.

SM16RMSM
07-28-2013, 10:48 PM
I'm shocked. I thought they had good products.

Martin
07-29-2013, 08:08 AM
In my opinion those springs are the only bad part in their lineup.

CMP
07-29-2013, 09:05 AM
Just curious, what shocks were you running with these?

The Driver
07-29-2013, 09:44 AM
Agreed.

It really doesn't matter, they are lower than stock, but with similar rates. It's almost like cutting factory springs. They are too short and too soft, which as some of you know is a bad combination...

revlimiter
07-29-2013, 09:53 AM
I had a set of RB springs with KYB shocks on Bucky, my NB2. Drove like that for about 24000 including a trip to Indy and back (26 hours in one long stint.) I fond them to be very comfortable. Not very good on the track, but they didn't rub. The ride was quite soft until you got into the bump stops. No tire rubbing. It really was a great budget suspension. I couldn't have driven over 24 hours at a time with them if they weren't pretty comfy.

I wonder if you had the right springs? I got mine used from an NB1 owner who didn't like them. I inspected the part number and found them to be NB2 springs according to their catalog. No idea what the difference was, but they worked decently in my experience. Very similar to OEM, just lower. And, well, with less shock travel.

I'd never suggest anyone buy lowering springs for a Miata. Matched coilovers are so cheap now days. But really, my RB experience was decent.

BoBo
07-30-2013, 01:46 AM
Sorry about your bad experience.
Thanks for the review though.
No problem, I just want to give the word out, so people don't waste there money on this.

I'm shocked. I thought they had good products.
They have great products, but I would exclude the springs. My tires put holes on my fender liners and cracked my fender paint during mountain runs. I will post picks later.

+1 I had rb headers and intake and other suspension parts before and they are top quality.

I was running Koni strt new, bought the same time as the springs. The back suspension was fine, only the front tires were rubbing.

BoBo
07-30-2013, 02:09 AM
I had a set of RB springs with KYB shocks on Bucky, my NB2. Drove like that for about 24000 including a trip to Indy and back (26 hours in one long stint.) I fond them to be very comfortable. Not very good on the track, but they didn't rub. The ride was quite soft until you got into the bump stops. No tire rubbing. It really was a great budget suspension. I couldn't have driven over 24 hours at a time with them if they weren't pretty comfy.

I wonder if you had the right springs? I got mine used from an NB1 owner who didn't like them. I inspected the part number and found them to be NB2 springs according to their catalog. No idea what the difference was, but they worked decently in my experience. Very similar to OEM, just lower. And, well, with less shock travel.

I'd never suggest anyone buy lowering springs for a Miata. Matched coilovers are so cheap now days. But really, my RB experience was decent.

I ordered mine from GWR for the 96 miata. However, I just check their website and they now only sell the 99-00 & 01-05. I'm assuming they stopped selling springs for the NA. I'm pretty sure I bought the right springs, I match the part # with my receipt. I know FM makes good lowering springs, they have pretty decent spring rates. I was gonna buy coil overs, but I had to pay for school tuition. For now I'm pretty happy with my Bilstein HD and oem springs. I don't get fender rubs unless I corner extra hard. My next suspension will be the V-maxx, if I ever blow my shocks.