PDA

View Full Version : Car transporting suggestions?

maharaj
07-29-2013, 02:41 PM
I am in the process of doing a cross country move from FL to CA and need to transport my Miata. Does anyone have a company that they would refer? Thanks!

Phatmiata
07-29-2013, 02:58 PM
if you are taking a uhaul maybe just get a trailer and tow it behind you? All the car carriers are gonna get you for a cool grand easy for that kinda mileage

Agent☣Orange
07-29-2013, 03:38 PM
I had my lowered Miata transported by Angels Auto Transpot from WA to FL in the middle of winter some years back. It was $650 and got here in four days..even before my flight could get me here. The front spoiler got cracked while they were backing it off the truck but they gave an immediate $200 credit off the bill. Otherwise, I was very satisfied with Angels. I even got to sneak on my heavy toolbox in the passenger floor which would have cost me over $100 to mail.

Like Phat said, you're probably looking at around a thousand bucks today but maybe not. They hate to run a transport partially empty so you might get a deal since yours is going the whole distance.

I did think about driving but when I calculated gas, food and hotels along the way it added up fast. When I considered seat time, Ibuprofen, chiropractors, boredom, wear and tear, mechanical risk, adding mileage, driving on icy roads through half the country, it was easy to to choose transport.

The Driver
07-29-2013, 03:41 PM
There are online brokers that would deal for your business. I remember seeing a t.v. show, not long ago about that. Unlike Yata, I don't mind driving cross country, so all my moves involved seat time on both cars!

kung fu jesus
07-29-2013, 03:47 PM
A few notes from my cross-country moves:

If you tow it with a rental truck, some companies will show the Miata will not work on their flat trailers. This is because of the Miata's ground clearance. I can attest that Budget trailers WILL work on semi-slammed Miatas. I towed mine from Socal to RDU with a 26(28?) foot rental truck. I couldn't even feel it back there. The truck was diesel.

If you decide to have it shipped, you want to get references. Some of the lower-cost transporters will dump cars from depot to depot. This can be a lot of different people touching and driving your car. That is pretty risky. The more expensive ones are point to point. This means they will stay on one truck or might switch trucks once. These are the preferred transporters. When I moved from Charlotte to Socal, I had movers pack and load our stuff on a big semi truck. The Miata, too. IIRC, that move was about $12k for a 1700sq/ft house+garage+the Miata. My employer picked up that tab. The Miata arrived minty fresh with the rest of my stuff.

Talk to your insurance company about the move and special coverage for it. Peace of mind is hard to buy.

Because you are moving to Norcal, I am going to assume you will be living in a county that requires CARB testing (unless you live in the sticks). To register your car, it will have to be inspected at the DMV. MAKE_AN_APPOINTMENT. The CA DMV is the worst I have seen and had the misfortune dealing with. Slow, cumbersome and expensive barely scratches the surface. After it has been inspected, it has to be smogged, unless it is 5 years or newer. This varies from shop to shop. Most have no clue what they are looking at under the hood. Some do. Intakes, typical engine bolt ons can be scrutinized. It will also be load-tested on a roller for emissions. Enjoy THAT clusterfOck. :| It will happen every other year, and you can expect police to hassle you if you are pulled over ('pop the hood, please'). I am white, middle-aged, with greying hair. I was eye-balled often, but once they saw my cracker features, they often drove on. Oh, you have to mount a front plate, too. The GarageStar front mount bracket is pretty awesome, BTW.

maharaj
07-29-2013, 04:26 PM
I am not driving a moving truck, well I guess a Sienna could be considered one compared to the Miata. I still have a some properties in FL so I will keep my FL tags because I already know that passing the emissions isn't remotely possible for me. OMG I tried the transporting brokerage service and have been bombarded with calls and emails so speaking to a carrier directly seems like less hassle. Emissions? Cats? Me no speaka Engrish! :whistle:

The Driver
07-29-2013, 04:50 PM
^ I didn't register my Miata when I lived in So Cal, in 2004-2006 and it was easy for me as I had a letter from my manager that I was on "temporary assignment". I was then working for the IRS, so it was easy to fake out. No more, check this link: http://www.chp.ca.gov/prog/cheaters.cgi

They basically passed a law encouraging neighbors to snitch on their neighbors. Is it possible to get away with it? Maybe, but if caught, it will cost you an arm ant both legs...

maharaj
07-29-2013, 05:02 PM
Yikes....no bueno. Luckily I have a business in FL so hopefully I can get by. It isn't my DD so as long as I don't leave the exhaust open I shouldn't tick off the neighbors. Definitely good to know though.

Dandy
07-29-2013, 07:40 PM
I used Mercury Auto Transport for a north/south transport a couple of years ago. I had a good local contact office that made me comfortable and I was kept informed. They are an online broker. They all are brokers until you get into the serious $$$, totally enclosed, collector car moving companies. It's a cut throat business it seems. I checked the online feedback reputation boards and you have to be skeptical. I think the companies post negative comments against each other. Check the BBB as well. For me the decision came down to price, good communication with the local office, and a feeling that their overall good reputation could be trusted as they had been in the business for a long time. Good luck with your move.

tsingson
07-29-2013, 09:06 PM
I used dependable auto shippers and had a great experience with them. Mine was about $800 going from the Bay Area to Philly. Price was from 7 years ago though.

kung fu jesus
07-30-2013, 06:37 AM
^ I didn't register my Miata when I lived in So Cal, in 2004-2006 and it was easy for me as I had a letter from my manager that I was on "temporary assignment". I was then working for the IRS, so it was easy to fake out. No more, check this link: http://www.chp.ca.gov/prog/cheaters.cgi

They basically passed a law encouraging neighbors to snitch on their neighbors. Is it possible to get away with it? Maybe, but if caught, it will cost you an arm ant both legs...

Holy crap. Chris (kickinitoutyo) has had the same Michigan plates on his Miata in socal since, I dunno, '06? :lol:

tsingson
07-30-2013, 07:04 AM
I'm sorry, but Cali is really taking a turn for the worst. Snitching for out of state plates? The Mob has offed for less.

kung fu jesus
07-30-2013, 07:39 AM
CA is so fcuked on their budget, they need every dime they can stuff in the coffers. The first 4 years there, the police really let a lot of stuff slide, the last two, they were targeting all the small BS, like no front plate. CARB is one of the biggest government scams out there, too.

The cellphone/car laws were the only thing I actually liked. It's a $50 ticket, but after court costs, it's around $125+. Can't tell you how many idiots I see here in NC weaving all over the road while on their phones.

tsingson
07-30-2013, 07:42 AM
I swear, if the Gov was really worried about driving and texting or using the phones, they would do everything in their power to make it 50 state illegal.

I found it very funny to hear that CA has mobile smog stations now.

CA should just legalize the grass and throw a 30% tax on it. They will be out of the hole in no time.

Martin
07-30-2013, 08:53 AM
All right you mods, please get back on topic :P

tsingson
07-30-2013, 08:55 AM
Sorry.....

The Driver
07-30-2013, 09:25 AM
All right you mods, please get back on topic :P

HAHAHAHAHA! I should save one as my sig! :thumbs: